SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frances_landis

Duplex window replacement in phases, mix old and new with storms?

Frances Landis
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Our 1915 Craftsman is a two-family (duplex) with separate apartments on the top and bottom floors. All the windows are wooden pulley double hung, old and leaky. We live on the first floor and rent the upstairs (mostly short term). First floor has white trim interior while upstairs is all dark wood and the windows are in slightly better shape. It has been difficult to find a window to suit the look of both units, and it is also tough on the budget to do the whole house at once. We decided to just replace our unit since we are here most of the time and it will likely be vinyl and black exterior. If I only replace the first floor front windows and leave the others upstairs, I'm worried about it looking strange (curb appeal). One thought is to just get new black storm windows on all front windows and just replace the sides and rear of the house. I also considered getting new black storm windows for the upstairs, and hope it won't look terrible to have new windows on only the lower half of the front without storms since it seems they would be unnecessary. Would it be wrong to put black storms over the bottom windows even if they are new in order to keep the symmetry? Or is it not a big deal to have the storms upstairs and none on the first floor?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH