SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandchicken1984

Wood window restoration (or replacement?)

Dave H
3 years ago

Hi everyone! I am getting some bids to restore the windows of my 1930's Dutch colonial which currently has the original wooden windows. My preference is to restore the existing windows but with at least the first bid I received I am not sure its worth it.

There are 17 double hung windows, most being 6 over 6 but also a few 4 over 4, 8 over 8, and one 10 over 15 in the kitchen. They all currently open and close (some take some effort) and seem to have intact chains/ropes, but they are pretty leaky an could operate much better.

The first bid I received is from a local shop that specializes in restoring wooden windows. The statement of work is very detailed although I don't know much about windows to be able to tell how good it actually is. That bid is for $21,000 for all of the windows, plus another $12,000 if I want wooden storm windows/screens made. I currently have aluminum triple track storm windows but they also are showing their age.

Does this quote seem reasonable? Are there any questions I should be asking? I am having a larger window company that also does restoration work come in for a bid later this week.

Comments (14)