SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momrules5831

I'm not sentimental, so what do I do?

runninginplace
2 years ago

In homage to bpath, I'm borrowing her catchy title :).

I'm remodeling the walk-in closet in our MBR. I'm the only one who uses it. The closet interior has cedar tongue and groove walls, which will almost all be covered up by built-in closet and shelving units.

Last night I commented to my husband that I intend to paint the cedar white and he was aghast. He insisted that NOBODY would, could or should ever even consider it. Then he did quite a long riff about the many cedar closets he has known and loved. His father was a home builder back in the 60s, which has become husband's frame of reference on how things Should Be Done-whatever was done when his dad was building. Like cedar closets. He managed to work in that his brother, who died a few months ago, also loved cedar. He got so agitated about it he volunteered to hang drywall over the cedar just to avoid having it painted(!).

I'm honestly a bit confounded. I have no sentimentality whatsoever about the cedar. Have never had a cedar closet, and never really saw the appeal other than the scent which fades (BTW this stuff is evidently not aromatic cedar). I loathe the look of knotty wood and hadn't given painting over it a second thought. Now though...I'm suspecting it's not really the cedar it is the memories it evokes for my man.

So, just wondering a couple of things;

1. Is cedar something that sacred? Sorry let me rephrase: if you have a cedar closet is it a feature you would never, ever remove or conceal?

2. Is this a hill worth dying for? Actually I already know the answer which is no it's a closet that nobody but me sees, so if the cedar is a deal breaker I'll just have the closet designer cover as much as possible and call it a day.

Comments (14)