SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_moorelaja

House Design feedback?

Sarah Moore Laja
2 years ago

Hello Houzz experts! I have been working on this house design for about 1 year. We will begin building soon, but while I still have some time to tweak, I would love to run it past some additional eyes and minds.

(For context: it is in central Texas, in the middle of the woods. We are a European/Texan family so a lot of the scale is European-inspired: tall ceilings, dense footprint, eat-in kitchen etc. I am the designer, with much hired consultation from 2 architects. The design has also had some input from the builder and one civil engineer. After your feedback, it will go on to HVAC and structural engineers. The house front door faces north, we have especially nice views to the north and west, loud neighbors to the east :). A septic will go downslope on the westside. A pool will one day go 50 ft away to the southeast. It is for a family of 4. The downstairs front room with "roughed in plumbing" is a playroom with a loft, which could become a bedroom one day. We are aiming for 2500 sq ft. But this is about 2700 sq ft :) )

I would love your help to see:

-potential problems

-ways we can increase efficiency shrink the footprint

- an elegant roof idea for the "window seat" area on the 1st floor

-better ideas around where to locate the water heater.

Thank you so very much for your time and attention! This has been so fun and I have learned a lot, but I know I've been staring at it too long and your fresh eyes will offer a useful perspective.

Comments (53)