SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nkc82

Anyone with a quartzite/dolomite/soft granite etc counter - pls read

nkc82
2 years ago

Hi there,

I've been reading that you never really know what you're getting when you buy a slab unless you run some tests on it (scratch, acid, water).

The thing is, the slabs I like are probably the softer stones (I know quartzite is hard but places call things quartzite that are actually pretty soft). I'm wanting to hear from people who have this type of stone, is it really a big deal? I don't mind sealing every year. I have one sample I can scratch if I carve REALLY hard into it with a butter knife. So it's clearly no quartzite. Can you do that with granite, which it's being sold as? I don't think so. But my point is, when on earth would I ever do that (carve into it with a knife)? I don't plan to use it as a cutting board. It'll be an island that's just for food prep (with cutting boards) and a socializing area. So acids and spills could be a factor, but that's it. Plan to clean those right up. What's the big deal?

I'm not a fan of the patterned quartz (they just look fake to me and have no depth - sorry to people who like them, this is just a difference of opinion), so don't suggest that. I'm getting a plainer quartz around the perimeter cabinets.

Comments (19)