SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janna_hill_weilbacher

Cleaning & sealing dolomite countertops

5 years ago
I'm having dolomite countertops installed next week and I cannot find anything online about what to use for a cleaner and sealer. Plenty of info on marble, quartzite, and granite, but NOTHING for dolomite. We were told there's a cleaner with sealer in it, but I can't find any info anywhere. Help!

Comments (57)

• 5 years ago

My question is we are getting ready to purchase two slabs of Dolomite I would like to use a chisel face edge on the bar can you do this without splitting the dolomite or does it chisel easy I know granite you can chisel face but not quartzite very easy without the possibility of cracking . Input app.

• 5 years ago

A chisel face should work fine. Dolomitic marble does not normally have prominent layers, and it is fabricated the same way as regular (calcite) marble. Your fabricator will know best, though, depending on what the slabs are like.

• Related Discussions

Cleaning and Enhancing sealed honed marble backsplash

Q

Comments (0)
    We had a honed marble backsplash installed in our new kitchen (5-1/2" square installed on diagonal). There were a lot of problems with the installer; he had to come back and redo some of his work...twice...due to crooked 45 degree angles and chipped tiles. The backsplash looked very pretty with the under cabinet lighting on, however, when the lights were out and daylight came in from the windows, you could see smudges and streaks all over the surface, which I believed was smeared grout. I tried cleaning it to no avail. The installer had sealed the tile immediately after installing...I think he should have made sure it was clean before he did that. We had a stone contractor here to try and clean it up. He spent three hours lightly scraping the backsplash with a razor blade (which produced a lot of powder on the countertops that I assumed was sealant and grout residue). Then he resealed. This improved the appearance, but did not take care of the problem totally. Is there some kind of product that will unseal the sealant so we can clean it again and then reseal/enchance? Also, the color of the tiles are bland (ranging from whiteish to light taupe). Is there a sealer/enchancer that will deepen the colors? The "repair" was done about a year ago and we haven't done anything since. Thank you all.
    ...See More

Granite countertop cleaning and sealing

Q

Comments (3)
    My granite is 10 years old and has never been sealed. It looks like the day it was installed. Some granites do not need to be sealed, and some do. If you are interested in a particular granite, do some research on it to find out whether it needs sealing or not. I clean my counters with a Dobie pad, and either just plain water, or a bit of mild dish soap if there are grease spatters (I like Seventh Generation dish soap). Then I wipe with a paper towel, that's it. Some people on this forum use a homemade alcohol mixture; perhaps someone will provide it, or you can do a search on this forum for it.
    ...See More

Who has Dolomite Countertops?

Q

Comments (2)
    After living with marble counter tops for 6 years, I can say without hesitation that marble will etch from ANYTHING. Mostly acidic liquids, but also even hard water can etch it. Sealing it doesn't protect against etching, it just can keep discolorations (stains) from appearing. Once you understand that etching is a chemical reaction that dissolves a thin layer of the stone, you know you can't prevent it. If you purchase marble with that understanding, and you can live with etching, then go ahead. If not, then do not get marble.
    ...See More

Sealing dolomite countertop

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes, but sealing only protects agains staining, not etching.
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

Well that is one of the problems I’ve talked to three fabricators and none of them have worked with this material they’ve heard of it just have not worked with I t my installer is not afraid of it but I’ve heard other comments about certain materials that have a tendency to crack when doing a chisel face . Just don’t have a big enough window to throw $5000 out of thank you for your input any more suggestions appreciated .

• 5 years ago

Oh yes, certain stones do crack and chip on a chisel face, for sure. Anything that's very layered would be a poor choice for chiseling, like slate or bluestone. Some of the crystalline quartzites like Taj Mahal are also prone to chip because they are brittle and ridiculously hard. Schist or mica-rich stones are terrible for chiseling because they flake apart.

If your slab is a dolomitic marble, it can be fabricated just like regular marble. There is really barely any difference between the two. If your fabricators don't already know this, then I'm not sure they are the right people for the job.

Do you know the name of the stone?

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Karin_mt, is Alpine-Alpinus granite a trouble free granite or do the spots in it (mica, quartz, whatever they are...beauty marks) not make it a good choice for kitchens? Thank you.

I will attach a picture to show you the exact slab.

• 5 years ago

As far as I know that's a good one, but I would definitely steer clear of areas with large mica pieces or lots of mica. The quartz areas (dark grey, glassy) are no problem, although there is some unusual stuff going on in there in your second photo. The concentric shape is called a 'reaction rind' (or reaction ring) and it's when minerals are stealing ions from each other. I'm not sure what the green mineral is, either. It's cool though!

That particular rock is called graphic granite, and it's also a pegmatite (a granite with extra-large crystals). You can look up those terms if you want to learn a little more about the geology of that stone.

• 5 years ago

You are amazing, and I was so hoping that you would have the time to reply. Your explanation is very much appreciated, thank you.

• 5 years ago

Might have to get more information Monday but on the proposal tag it has super white (Dolomite)

• 5 years ago

Super White is very common. It's dolomitic marble. Have your fabricators really not worked with it before? That's surprising.

A lot has been written about that stone in this forum. Most of the posts are from people who were told the Super White is quartzite, which it certainly is not. It's a beautiful stone, though, and as long as you know it's marble and are ready to treat it accordingly, I bet you'll be happy with it.

• 5 years ago

My question is, . is this the wrong stone to use in a kitchen . If we seal it and we are very particular about what sets on our countertops and as a rule do not leave any food particles or food stains for any period of time. Well this be a durable top ?

• 5 years ago

Yes, that's a good question, but a hard one to answer for someone else. It's such a personal choice. If you are careful around your kitchen, then marble is a beautiful choice. Another important question is how much will you be bothered by the occasional scratch or etch? It's quite likely that will happen. Will it really bother you? Or do you roll with the punches?

Super White is durable and will last forever - but the surface will likely show some wear over time.

• 5 years ago

Thank you for your honesty and thank you for tiptoeing around the question but you answered it very well .I think we have some decisions to make and will keep this site posted on what direction we go not to say I won’t have further questions thank you .

• 4 years ago

Dolomite is harder than marble, but not quite as hard as granite. With appropriate sealer - it is just fine in a kitchen. All countertops should be treated with care regardless of material. Dolomite is better than marble in many ways though.

• 4 years ago

Actually that's not quite true. Dolomite is a variation of marble that is very slightly harder and very slightly resistant to etching from acids. For example, the hardness of calcite marble is 3 and dolomitic marble is 3.5. Meanwhile, granite is 6-7. In practical terms, there is not much difference between the way marble and dolomitic marble perform.

Hope that helps!

• 4 years ago

Mgeur, How has your dolomite held up?

• 4 years ago

its hanging in there. its losing its shine in some areas. any good wax recommendations

• 4 years ago

My understanding is you likely need to professionally reseal the whole countertop at least every two years.

• 4 years ago

Can somebody recommend a good brand of dolomite-marble cleaner with a sealant in it?

Thanks!

• 4 years ago

Has anyone had issues with their Dolomite chipping? If we do bite the bullet and use it we'll go with a "honed" or "brushed" finish rather than a polished. We like the look and any etching won't be as noticeable. But, what about chipping?

• 4 years ago

I did end up with the dolomite and it has a "leather" finish, not a polished one. It has gotten 2 or 3 blemishes from dumb mistakes on my part, including a chip and some tiny etchings. The thing is, with this finish, no one notices the blemishes, just me. So yes, I'd recommend not getting a polished finish. And I do love my countertops.

• 3 years ago

I will put Dolomite marble from marmar island in my house for the groundfloor , polished one 80*80 cm , do you think it’s good choice for the house and good quality??

• PRO
    3 years ago

You're either in the marble cult or you aren't. Pull the trigger. Or not. No second-guessing.

• 3 years ago

did you ever get an answer to as what sealer / polish to use. I have Dolomite countertops in my kitchen and we love them but they are starting to look dull in some areas and would like to know what product to install on them, Can you use power orbital sanders/polishers on it. I have several types of grinders that I could use and I also have sanding disc that go as fine as 10000 grit just don't want to make a sanding mistake.

• 3 years ago

I'm not sure why you need to sand your counters? Our fabricators just advised us to reseal with natural stone sealer sold at your local hardware store.

• 3 years ago

Well, I had dolomite countertops installed in my kitchen 2 years ago now and couldn't be happier.
    I use Weiman brand cleaner (for granite and stone) almost daily and their sealer every 6 months. The sealer definitely fixes the dull finish someone mentioned above. The blemishes I have caused over 2 years from a few dumb mistakes, are small and only noticeable to me. I have 2 windows directly over a section of the stone, which is mostly white, and have not noticed any damage from the sun. I love my counters and try to take care of them.

• 3 years ago

Janna, we just had dolomite donatella leather counterparts installed. What sealer did you use? They suggested a water-based sealer since we have the leather finish. Right now we have just been being super careful. You are right, though, this finish is very forgiving as far as blemishes, etc.

• 3 years ago

I just purchased Tesoro Bianco marble/dolomite 3 days ago. A stone consultant told me a product called Miracle is the best. He said to treat 2 times a year.

• 3 years ago

We are installing dolomite grey fantasy brown countertops soon.. Any advise? What does the etching look like and how do you notice it? Do you see it in the white parts or colored parts? Has anyone had it revealed and did it bring back the shine? Thanks!

• 3 years ago

We installed a super white dolomite kitchen bench 6 months ago and have already had four cracks appear that have had to be fixed. Does this sound unusual? We’re thinking of asking the supplier to provide a new slab but not sure if we should just accept this as part and parcel of natural stone.

We were aware that we had to be careful of chipping or scratches so we treat it carefully... so we are very disappointed to have had so many major cracks :(

• 3 years ago

We just purchased a translucent dolomite stone for our kitchen countertops. We absolutely love the look of it, but I'm

nervous about it’s durability/resistance to stains, scratching, etching etc. We have several young children who love to help mommy cook and clean so I’m nervous it’s going to get scratched or stained easily. Anyone install dolomite and regret it?

• 3 years ago

My dolomite has so much etching from just water glasses sweating etc . Then someone spilled and left it set less than 5 min and now there’s plate rings and bottle rings. Ive already had it remanded and sealed and its less that a year old and looks like trash again. I have kitchen countertops that can’t get wet???

• 3 years ago

Melissa McNamee- How is your Tesoro Bianco holding up? Any scratches from dragging things across countertops? Etchng? Staining? We looked at Tesoro a month ago.....trying to decide if its worth a second look.

• PRO
    3 years ago

"I have kitchen countertops that can’t get wet???"

Yes, and you were repeatedly warned, but you were in love. We were as unsuccessful as the parents of a 14-year-old girl are in keeping her away from the nogoodnik she's smitten with. Perhaps others will learn from this.

• 3 years ago

Oh my goodness Joseph you crack me up!! I’ve been in love with a dolomite slab but keep reading warnings like this and we are messy in the kitchen (ie spills aren’t always wiped up immediately). So does quartzite also wear a leather jacket and ride a motorcycle??

• 3 years ago

Dolomite IS NOT marble as someone said way back at the beginning of this thread. I have white dolomite kitchen counters with 4 kids and so far so good, granted it's only been 2 months. We've sealed with MORE natural stone sealer (about $75/qt at Amazon). Also scheduled for a hydroshield seal on Wednesday but I'm not sure this is necessary. My research indicates that wiping it down regularly (daily) and sealing the s&#$ out of it once a year should provide years of beauty and tells me dolomite can be a nice ambitious young stone that a girl can proudly take home to mom and dad.

• 3 years ago

Miles

May I ask what the name of your dolomite counters are?

• 3 years ago

Getting my dolomite counter tops in a few weeks and doing some research on this. I plan on treating my dolomite like marble, accepting imperfections and mishaps in advance but trying to keep it clean and cared for. Black Diamond Stoneworks Granite Plus says it is a cleaner and sealer. Method (listed as biodegradable, cruelty free) has a Daily Granite Cleaner that says it it safe for marble, but does not have a sealer in it.

• 3 years ago

My dolomite countertop and island is only a few months old. The island looks like some areas are shiny, and some are dull. The shiny areas are more on the stone areas, and the other plain areas are dull. It kind of gives my island a streaked look of dull and shiny when daylight is on it. Is this normal?

• 3 years ago

Mguer curtguerr I have just had the exact same counter tops installed. I love them but want to make sure we look after them correctly. What sealer do you use? Did you find something to make them looks shiny again? Any other maintenance tips you can share? Thank you!

• 3 years ago

I have dolomite ‘honed’ finish which I love, but it does show rings and spots. Stone supplier suggested using Stain proof (dry treat) water based sealer 1-2/x per year.
    Clean daily using method daily granite cleaner. For bad stains use soft scrub w/bleach mixed with water, let sit and then wipe off. Do not use abrasive sponges.

Just applied- looks fine, but like marble, marks are typical. Signs of working kitchen!

• 3 years ago

Miles, what is your professional education that allows you to state dolomite is or is not a marble?

• 3 years ago

Dolomite is a sedimentary rock, a close cousin to limestone.

If limestone turns into a metamorphic rock, it becomes marble.

If dolomite turns into a metamorphic rock, it becomes dolomitic marble.

Saying dolomite isn't marble doesn't really make sense, but that's ok. One needn't be a geologist to understand basic stone properties.

• 2 years ago

Miles,

what counter top do you have? i just had matarrazo supreme installed. It looks like your top. I was told it was a quartzite, but it is acting more like a very tempermental marble. It stains so easily. In my previous house I had super white and it was very easy to care for.

• 2 years ago

I have Fantansy Brown Dolomite in the bathroom, its gorgeous and performs well. I treat it naturally - baking soda and water to clean. To seal, I pour virgin olive oil on my hands, and rub down the countertop. The next morning, use a soft-cloth. Do this every four months or so. For the high-traffic kitchen, however, we chose a very high-end laminate, which nobody seems to opt for these days - laminate is so easy to care for, and it looks equally lovely.

• 2 years ago

I have dolomite countertops, beautiful everyone thinks it’s marble. Dolomite is marble’s cousin so therefore treat it like marble. It is stronger than marble and softer than granite. The only difference is, if you spill something acidic with marble you have to clean it immediately with dolomite you don’t but clean it within a reasonable amount of time. Wipe it as soon as you see it. I spilled coffee on mine didn’t notice wright away, it had hardened so it had to be there a while and it was fine when I washed it.

• last year

I wish i had bought Granite instead. i came home with groceries i but on counter and a jar of prego tipped over and chipped edge of counter. The person who put it in I was very disappointed with. One of his workers told me he bought two different slabs from different places and they were different thicknesses and the counters were not even. He told me to clean with window cleaner? is that right???

• last year

How to maintain Super White Dolomite

While Dolomite is a super tough natural stone, it does require a little bit of maintenance to ensure it not only lasts a lifetime, but does so looking as sparkling and cleanly as you’d like. Luckily, it’s easy to maintain with just a little bit of proactive care.

1. Clean up spills as soon as they occur.
    2. Avoid using knives or other cutting instruments directly on the stone.
    3. Seal your Super White Dolomite.
    4. Clean using warm water and a soft sponge.
    5. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or harsh chemical
    6. Ceciliano Marble & Granite Inc
    7. 142 Fisher St, Westborough, MA 01581
  • 10 months ago

@Miles how are your dolomite counters holding up? We are looking at dolomite for our kitchen. We love the look of marble and heard the dolomite is a little bit better in regards to scratches and etching.

• PRO
    10 months ago

If you wouldn't use marble in your kitchen, you cannot use dolomite. It's almost the exact same material, and has the exact same behavior. It's like the difference between identical and fraternal twins. They are still brothers, not cousins.

• 10 months ago

@sandrafay - @Miles has made only one comment on this forum, and that was 2 years ago, and what he wrote was incorrect. The rest of this thread of 50+ comments will give you better information.