SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthie51_gw

Cleaning and Enhancing sealed honed marble backsplash

ruthie51
11 years ago

We had a honed marble backsplash installed in our new kitchen (5-1/2" square installed on diagonal). There were a lot of problems with the installer; he had to come back and redo some of his work...twice...due to crooked 45 degree angles and chipped tiles. The backsplash looked very pretty with the under cabinet lighting on, however, when the lights were out and daylight came in from the windows, you could see smudges and streaks all over the surface, which I believed was smeared grout. I tried cleaning it to no avail. The installer had sealed the tile immediately after installing...I think he should have made sure it was clean before he did that. We had a stone contractor here to try and clean it up. He spent three hours lightly scraping the backsplash with a razor blade (which produced a lot of powder on the countertops that I assumed was sealant and grout residue). Then he resealed. This improved the appearance, but did not take care of the problem totally. Is there some kind of product that will unseal the sealant so we can clean it again and then reseal/enchance? Also, the color of the tiles are bland (ranging from whiteish to light taupe). Is there a sealer/enchancer that will deepen the colors? The "repair" was done about a year ago and we haven't done anything since. Thank you all.

Comment