SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_mcnabb21

What color paint to coordinate with black & white wallpaper

Melissa
2 years ago

I'd been seeing the black and white peel and stick wallpaper everywhere. I decided to go for it in my powder room. Due to my skill level (or lack of) I just put it on one wall. I love it! But now I have decided that I need to paint the other 3 walls. I love my sunflower print and want to leave it where it is hung

. I am open to also painting the small shelf cabinet by the door. Please help me with paint color ideas. Black, White ???? oh, and the paint color outside the bathroom is SW repose grey. it looks blue in the picture.

Comments (42)

• Maureen
    2 years ago

Suggest the cream or the greyish (could go a bit lighter). When rehanging the picture, you could go a bit lower to avoid the lined up feel.

Melissa thanked Maureen
  • Jilly
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

With black and white, you can really do any color. Your Repose Gray would work well:

Just showing this for fun, I like how this person got creative with cutting it up:

The shelf could be any color, too. Glossy black, or a white like this wood:

Melissa thanked Jilly
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Maureen, yes I agree the print could go lower. I think it ended up that height because I was covering holes from previous picture..

Jinx, I had wondered if the Repose would work. I think I would lean towards white for the shelf since I have a black box on the bottom shelf and I also have a black vase with christmas/winter greenery and a black vase with fall greenery that I use on the top shelf. I think I would like the contrast of the black and white.

• doods
    2 years ago

Love your wallpaper and you did a great job. Hope you post pics. when your finished painting!

Melissa thanked doods
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thank you. I painted the shelf white today and I think I do like it better. I tried to post a picture but it won't post for some reason. I've been having trouble uploading photos to other sites so I think my laptop is having issues. It will be a couple of days before I am able to paint the walls. Hopefully I'll be able to upload those photos.

• Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

finally got it to upload

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Looks good!

Melissa thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

You can stretch your design instincts in a powder room and this selection is just a bit too safe IMO. When you install wallpaper in a powder room you want to see it the minute you enter the room to get the biggest effect. So the back wall was the wrong wall for this paper.

If you were going to just install one wall then it should have been the vanity wall. Then you could have painted the other walls black like you see here. All the wallpaper shown is peel and stick.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I think it’s rude to come on after someone has done a project, and tell them it’s “wrong” just because you personally don’t like it.

I like her paper a lot better than those frenetic ones.

Melissa thanked Jilly
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

The background color of the wallpaper is what I would do.

Melissa thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Jinx,

your criticism is valid, but she has three strips of peel and stick wallpaper up. Is it better to let the OP spend the $$$ money & the labor to paint the room and then not be happy with the results? It's no better than those sales ladies in stores who tell you the clothes look good on you just to make a sale and not hurt your feelings.

My design philosophy is " If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging"

• cawaps
    2 years ago

I'm partial to pink.

Pale blush if you want subdued

Fuchsia if you want bold.

Melissa thanked cawaps
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner I do agree that the wall with the sink would have most likely looked better and if I had more experience with peel and stick I might have tried it. But the more I looked at the sink and the plumbing behind the pedestal and the area behind the commode I knew that would be too difficult for me to handle by myself. This was my first time using any type of wallpaper. When I walk into the room I see the reflection of the paper in the mirror and it makes me smile.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Beverly, I understand that, but don’t see anywhere she said she wasn’t happy with the room so far. I’m not sure why you’re convinced she won’t be happy after painting? Again, it’s opinion. It’s not crucial kitchen cabinets or electrical or plumbing issues, measurements, etc … it’s personal preference regarding how something looks. Very subjective.

I don’t disagree with your philosophy in general, I just don’t think it applies in this situation.

There isn’t just one “right” way to decorate a room. It’s ok to be creative in certain situations and do what makes you happy. That’s my design philosophy. :)

ETA: Posts weren’t all showing up when I posted. I’m slow typing today!

Melissa, enjoy your room. I think it looks great and shows your own personal style.

Melissa thanked Jilly
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

cawaps I love that Fuchsia! That might be fun. Are the last two you put on here both black? I don't always trust my laptop.

• Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jinx , I have the same philosophy. I think it should be fun and paint is cheap and if I hate it I can always change it. I like changing things up and trying different things.

• cawaps
    2 years ago

Melissa, I used the Benjamin Moore color app, and the colors I showed were Tissue Pink, Royal Fuchsia, Calico Blue (which BM put in their green section, despite the name; it's a dark and fairly muted bluish green), and Black Tar.

But color tools don't always represent colors accurately, so take the color names/visualization with a grain of salt. Inspiration only! Test colors in your actual space! and all that.

Melissa thanked cawaps
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jinx, this made me think of something funny. Back in the 80's my mother and I picked out and had mixed what we thought was mauve paint for my master bedroom. It dried pepto bismol PINK! We got a good laugh out of that. We hoped it would dry a different shade but it was just awful.

• houssaon
    2 years ago

How about a deep sunflower yellow? If it were my room I would do something dramatic!

Melissa thanked houssaon
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

houssaon and everyone else, I had a guest bathroom that was yellow years ago and I loved it. That is a great idea. I will definitely pick up some yellow samples when I head out tomorrow. Thank you all for the suggestions. Cawaps, could you find a deep sunflower yellow on that magic Ben Moore app to show me?

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Instagram works tirelessly tracking my internet movements. Look what just showed up on my Feed. :D

It’s so pretty. Wish I could use it in my DD’s apt, it would look great with her decor.

Melissa thanked Jilly
  • doods
    2 years ago

Melissa I love your shelf painted white. Don't like the fuschia paint because for me it distracts from your lovely paper. Totally get why you chose that wall.

Melissa thanked doods
  • Stacey
    2 years ago

I love black and white with mustard paint.

Melissa thanked Stacey
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

can you do a wainscot around the other 3? I think if you did that in black w/white above, it would look good.

be on the lookout for a black marble console sink

do you have a somwhat tall ceiling? I'd do it in a satin black (for a bit of sheen) and hang a killer pendant.

but, all black walls and bright white trim is also cool looking

this would look cool on the wall behind your sink

Or, bring in a bold color small vanity!

Melissa thanked Beth H. :
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

How would you feel about papering the other two walls and painting only the fixture wall?

• Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth H. wow! Lots of great ideas. I'm not looking to redo the entire room, just wanted a change in wall color since I put up the wallpaper. I was set on black for the walls before I posted the question on Houzz. What do you think about black wall color when my towel rack, light fixtures and TP holder are all oil rub bronze? Would they still work with black or would they need to be changed?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I'd switch them. they aren't that expensive. seems like you're changing up the style, so the current items you have may not go as well? (the sink fixtures and the lights)

OR, DIY them and spray them w/metallic gold or nickel.

If you can't afford new sconces, remove those, remove the glass, and spray them matte black or gold. I've done this to my exterior light fixtures and it looks fine. (except I went from nickel to dark!)

Check Lampsplusopenbox.com for good buys on selective lights. you may get lucky.

or did you want chrome?

I would spend the extra and get a cool ceiling pendant though.

if you're doing the walls black, you can do something diff on the ceiling, or do it in black trim it out in white, or even a gold. (if you do gold hardware

I love this too. black and chrome.

cool light, art,,,I like the black shiplap

if you have that one black wall, I'd do a large art piece there. over the toilet you can do a wood or glass shelf.

If you don't have anything, cut out pieces of that wallpaper , large mat in a frame and hang those.

Or take some photos of nature and get them enlarged.

• Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

palimpsest, hmmm, that's a thought. If I could recruit a friend to help me this time with the paper.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

this is kind of cool. everything black/white, bring in an ornate mirror you've sprayed w/a bold color. Cobalt would look great w/the gold

mix some styles. the powder room is where you can be dramatic

Do some funky art on the wall,,,

Chrome towel rings are pretty cheap. simple art. buy a larger frame and re-mat them to fit.

I'd prob suggest diff sconces since your current style is meh.

any ceiling fixture in place? it's simple to add a chandy if there is

You can find these mirrors on Craigslist for cheap (sometimes) spray them! I've done a few myself.

• Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth H There is currently a fan/light combo oil rub bronze fixture on the ceiling. I don't know if I could talk the husband into removing the fan since it is a bathroom that gets used it you get my drift. I would like to bring in some more Art but I am going to keep my Sunflower in there. I'm not crazy about an ornate mirror. I think I will keep the one I have in there. I'm a little confused on my sconces. you said earlier that I might paint them black, and then paint or replace the towel bar and TP holder with chrome or nickel? Also my faucet is oil rubbed bronze if that plays into it. not changing that for sure., too expensive. I'm sorry to ask so many questions.

• Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth H i went back and looked at all your suggestions and I only see black wall color mentioned. Or black and white if using wainscoting. lets say I go with Black wall color which would look the best A. my towel bar and tp holder painted or replaced in Nickel , and my sconces painted what color? B. towel bar and tp holder painted gold and my sconces painted what color? or C. towel bar and tp holder painted or replaced in chrome and sconces painted what color? My mirror has a thin black metal frame that I could also paint.

• Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

a couple of

different shot of room if this helps

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I would 100% do at least the side walls in the wallpaper.

• Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

palimsest I am for sure not going to do wainscoting. I really like where you showed what that would look like with the side wall papered and the fixture wall painted. The side walls wouldn't be too hard to do and I really do think it would look good. If I do the side walls in the paper and paint the fixture wall black then What is your opinion on my oil rubbed bronze towel bar, light sconces and tp holder? leave them, paint them(what color?) or replace them(what color?)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

keeps erasing what I wrote. let me write, and ill add pics later.

try a bold piece of art on the wall.

I like these sconces. (i'll keep trying to post pics)

see if the black or nickel works after you paint.

amazon has these faucets for under $80

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I think the ORB could look okay, almost black against the paper on the side walls, and test out the sconces on the black first, and them paint them maybe white, or maybe black and have them kinda blend in except for the glass itself. Then you could introduce any color of towels, maybe different at different times of year.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I don't know what's going on with this post. I can't post pictures.

• Melissa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth H I found that if I edit the picture and then try to post it will usually work even if the edit was just a tiny crop or adjustment. But then on the last ones I posted they took forever once i hit submit. houzz is acting weird ???

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I did try that! tried to put it in a new comment.

here, let me try.

imagine this wall all black, and a bold color framed in either white or black.

sconces I like these styles better.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I tried to edit and go back and add more pics,,not happening. it's just on this post! weird

ill try the faucets

subtle stencil over the black