SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
retrodub

Exterior Window Spacing Nightmare! Redo after house fire

Kaitlin Prianti
2 years ago

Backstory:

Hello all! Back in April 2021 my house suffered an extreme electrical fire which resulted in a full gut due to fire & smoke damage. Thankfully the way it was built back in 1961 with plaster and asbestos kept the whole thing from igniting (probably has taken years off my life but my home is still standing). So construction has been underway and the dreaded part of dealing with the exterior has come sooner than i wanted to imagine. Bad snow and ice has finally posed leaks inside so I have halted any more interior work until the outside is addressed. (of course once the walls go up is when the house desides to leak) But rather now than later.

Dilemma:

i have a 2 story home w/ basement but the windows on the 2nd floor are not evenly spaced and cannot be moved because there are closets in the way. Plus in addition we had to add eggress windows that needed to be reframed to fit. The home has undegone many not thought out additions over the past 50 years of family ownership. Also I like to add the home barely has an attic if I can even call it that.

Before Fire:

The Horror:

After The Fire With New Eggress Windows:

Back of house:

(please excuse the mess)

the color i’m doing - Midnight Blue

So… what I need advice on on is the best look for this mess of a mishmash… That middle window bothers me but obviously insurance isn’t going to care about this flaw of a deisgn that was created back in 1977 by my grandfather (love and miss him dearly) who needed to add space to raise 5 kids in the home. The roof and siding needs to be redone but my question is if I keep the same outdated slant shingle look but obviously redo it (the slant cavities are all rotted)? or I just rip those and make it flat (add some sort of roof lip ) and do shake shingles straight across will it be more obvious that the windows are not aligned? anything i can add to make it look not so terrible? Also the home has a barn shape to it which is seen on the sides i would love to somehow keep that shape. Thank you for reading and would love and appreciate any and all advice I am lost when it comes to home design. :)

-Kaitlin

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio