SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stever500

New Bosch 500 dryer is turning into a nightmare. NE1 else?

stever500
17 years ago

Hi folks. I love the way our new Bosch 500 W&D look. I love the red accents on the sea of white. I love the big windows on the machines so we can see inside as they do their thing. I love the neat way the washing machine works after having a TL for my whole life. But, I hate that our dryer hasn't worked for 2 weeks now, and hasn't since day 1.

They finally delivered a new dryer, one without a huge dent in the front. The first one had a large dent and they wanted to know at time of delivery if we would accept it for 10% off. Uh, no, we didn't. Our laundry has really been piling up in the meantime. The new dryer sans dent came a week later and worked for 3 joyful, exciting minutes, then stopped with the error message E01.

We dutifully looked in our manual and it said it was the lint container error message (we cleaned out lint, and it still would only work for 3-4 more minutes without erroring and shutting off again - E01 error again. Or, maybe the vent hose was too long, another reason for this E01 error message, according to the manual. We had them come back and shorten the vent to the smallest possible length instead of the 20 feet they initially left us with installed. You'd think they would have just cut it down to size properly to begin with so they wouldn't incur another service call. This is Bray and Scarff Appliance store we're dealing with by the way.

So, they tried the dryer after cutting the length to the super small distance it is now and it still errored out after 4 or so minutes. They checked the air flow coming out of the vent in the back of the house and said that hardly any air was coming out and that this was the source of our problem. They said we'd need to have duct people come out and clean it, that it was clogged up from 19 years of usage, and that we might as well have them do the entire house for around $300 while we're doing the dryer vent. I told the guy I'd read on the laundry room web forum that people have used leaf blowers to blow the lint out and he said that might work, but didn't want to wait the 3 minutes while I hooked it up to do it. He DID take the web address from me where he could check out our forum and seemed amazed that there was a website dedicated to laundry machines. :o)

He left, I blew out the lint with my leaf blower, and then felt the hot air coming out while the machine was on in the back of the house by the dryer vent. I felt like a hero and was glad I was saving the $100 to the duct cleaning guy ... until I heard that dreaded "beep beep beep" from the dryer again. It still was erroring off - E01. I was about to call Bray and Scarff to see what they could so, when the door bell rang and another guy from Bray and Scarff company was there to... fix my dryer.

They sent 2 guys out on the same morning by accident. Perfect I thought, and let him in. I told him what had happened and he said he didn't know what to do next. He started reading the owners manual and measured the distance to the back of the house where the dryer is vented to. He measured it at about 23 feet, 30 ft is the max with 4 bends according to the manual he said. 2 bends are under the house he guessed, and 2 in the flexible metal vent they just installed with the dryer install. He said I'd have to call Bosch and have one of their techs come out.

My doctor buddy who bought a Sears HE4T for his house AND beach house is now saying, "I told you to buy the HE4T - I've never had a problem with mine".

Anyone else having this problem? What solved it? The guy that came today said that maybe the sensor could be bad? Maybe the 2 sharp turns are affecting it? He had no idea. I called Bosch and they said that if it can't be fixed, they'd just replace it. I asked them what if the new dryer did the same thing? I don't want to be stuck with a Bosch set that won't work in my house.

Could I get my money back in total if they can't get ANY dryer to work? They said I'd have to take it up with a Mgr if it gets to that point. Maybe I should have just bought it from Lowes as their return policy seems to have been so good.

We are not happy, but we hope they can get it work. I have to sit downstairs while I'm running the dryer and every 4 minutes once the beeping starts and it shuts off, I turn it off and then turn it on, just to have it do the same thing 4 minutes later. It's really aggravating as we do alot of laundry, and they can't come back for a whole week. Bosch told us to call Wuerstlin Appliance Service and we did. They're the ones that set up the next appt. It's hardly the end of the world, but this kind of sux.

Are we the only ones here that have had this happen? Here are pics of our set up. Do you see anything obviously wrong here? Any ideas what could be the problem?

Ahhh - white Bosch machines. Ya gotta love the simplicity of white

I just adore the way they look

Here's the floor it travels under on the way outside in the backyard. They guy said that one way to fix it would be to change where it vents, like into the garage. I asked if alot of lint would get in the garage and he sheepishly said, "uh, well, yeah." Uh, that wouldn't work for us as our cars are in there.

SO glad we didn't get the pedestals as we love to hang stuff to dry naturally above the machines and to the rt side of the machines. We got rid of our ugly hangers at least and got all creme colored ones :o). Yeah, the white wire rack looks cheap, but it works for us just fine.

They look so large from this angle

Are we screwed? Do you think it's something under our home with the venting and we'll never get a machine that works the way it's set up now, like excessive bends in the venting? What's the reason these machines are so error prone?

Thanks in advance,

Steve R

Silver Spring, MD USA

Comments (28)