SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Guest Bedroom Window Treatments

Carrie B
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I know, I know! These curtains are too short!

I need non-standard lengths (these are 84”, I probably need 90”), and since I don’t have a sewing machine, I’ve been resisting buying longer and sewing by hand or having it done professionally.

Anyway, since I’m considering all options, what would you recommend? There are currently metal blinds pulled up behind the curtain panels.

*edited to add: the right side of the right window is right up against the wall/closet, so any panel will inevitably cover a part of the window.

Comments (57)

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@decoenthusiaste - There is no trim on the windows. There is about 1.5" to the right of that right hand window. If I do Roman shades, should I do internal or external mount?

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Generally, I like inside mount when there is some attractive trim around the window that needs to be seen and appreciated. Perhaps outside mount would be better in your situation. Note how the first pic has them mounted at ceiling height. That can help make the room feel larger.

Carrie B thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Related Discussions

Guest Bedroom Window Treatment Suggestions

Q

Comments (13)
    atillery9, your bedroom is one of my favorites here, and I do like the look of curtains. I haven't been a fan of curtains for my own house because (1) I have trouble committing to color/pattern in anything expensive (I don't mind plain white but would likely do that only in summer), (2) we have allergies and I feel like I'd have to work extra hard to keep them allergen-free, and (3) we have five cats. While we don't allow cats in this particular room and usually keep the door closed, I can't help but feel cat hair and dander could still collect there. I like a roller shade if used with curtains. I like their functionality and room darkening ability. We have a higher end shade shop here where I have bought roller shades in the past I was very happy with, so I could go that route, too, if we were to decide to get curtains.
    ...See More

Window Treatment Bedroom (window placement)

Q

Comments (13)
    I would switch the two dressers so the longer one is under the TV which you should lower some. Dress the two windows alike; completely cover them with lined drapes matched to the wall color and hung ceiling to floor. The windows don't look like they provide you with much light anyway and really need to be hidden. Then stand your floor mirror in the other corner. Move the slipper chair in the corner by the floor lamp. Remove the bench/luggage rack to another room.
    ...See More

Window treatment ideas for bedroom window

Q

Comments (3)
    To my eyes that blind is very depressing. I would remove it. I prefer rooms that are bright and cheerful. I would use grommet top panels ( white or cream) on a decorative rod. Get enough lined panels so that there is ample fullness when closed. If more light control is needed I would use simple white pleated shades with the panels. White plantation shutters would be nice, too. Window treatments should look nice from the outside as well as the inside. Quite often those shades look like sheets or paper bags from the outside. Your beautiful room deserves better :).
    ...See More

Bedroom window treatment ideas for odd window

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm wondering if there's another idea I'm not considering. Are you open to painting the room (including the ceiling) a dramatic, dark color? In my first house, my husband and I painted our vaulted master bedroom a deep cool green (kept the trim white), and we *loved* it. We were pleasantly surprised at how much it darkened the room at night, something we hadn't even considered, but were thrilled with. I also really like curtains, and if it were me, I'd mount a single rod over the tallest window, extending it 8"-12" past each flanking window. Color would depend on the look you were after. Thoughts? :-)
    ...See More
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Follow up: I think I am going to go with Roman shades, since the right hand window is so close to the wall.

I prefer window treatment in a solid color, Since I use a lot of color and pattern in rugs, art and bedding. Wayfair offers affordable Roman shades in standard sizes that will work. Would you go with Ivory or White for the space?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I ordered Roman shades and put up this one. I am deeply ambivalent. Is the color (ivory) too dull? Anything else? Ugh.

• la_la Girl
    2 years ago

The current one falls a little flat i think - i would keep trying if you dont love it

i love a bamboo shade for texture and white Ikea linen panels for crisp softness - they come in longer lengths and can be easily hemmed or i have friends who use iron on hem tape

Carrie B thanked la_la Girl
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

I don’t think the color or style of that shade works. I liked your curtains better, but I’m not one bothered by a window being too close to the wall.

Knowing your house, I see your style as being very creative, collected, eclectic, individual … a mix of modern, vintage, boho, etc. I think something with less of a tailored look would be better.

• amykath
    2 years ago

Would you consider a bamboo roman shade? You could use them with curtains as well.

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

It's not so much that the ivory is "dull" as that it is a much cooler tone than your walls. Almost looks gray against your beautiful butter-colored walls. You need a bright crisp white for contrast, like your trim, or a warm creamy ivory. And as Jinx said, a more relaxed shape. For example:

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am so glad you all responded! Thank you!

Two things I didn't mention in my original post:

1) In the summer, there's a window AC unit in the right hand window.

2) I rent this room out via Airbnb - usually for 2-4 days at a time, to travelers in my city (Philadelphia.) Many of my guests are from abroad, so simplicity of use for non-Americans is vital.

@la_la Girl - I have bamboo shades in both my bathrooms, and I like them. They don't block out all light, which is why I didn't go for them in the bedroom - I thought that guests might want the option to darken the room. Of course, I could use inside mount bamboo shades with blockout panels. And since there's so little room to the right of the right hand window, you wouldn't be able to completely reveal the window on that side with a panel.... it all felt complicated...

@Jilly - Yeah, maybe I got to hung up on a panel not fitting because of the closeness to the wall...

I like your description of my style (and I'm flattered both by your description, and by your knowing it!) I agree that a more relaxed look suits me and my home better.

@amykath - I've often really liked your aesthetic on these forums! See my response to La_La above. I'm willing to consider anything! I want the option to block out light, and to easily shift from light blocking to (almost) completely open.

@mcarroll16 - You're right, the ivory does look gray! I really like your example, and agree that a more relaxed shape is better in that room.

Thank you all so much! If you see shades that you think look particularly good (and especially affordable!) let me know.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I’m still voting for tie-backs. :)

With shades or whatever for privacy. I love the look in there; I think they suit the room well. Lovely, cozy, inviting.

Ok, I’ll shut up now. :D

Carrie B thanked Jilly
  • Tammy Botham
    2 years ago

I'm just here to say Ikea sells looong curtains, if your looking. They have a huge variety.

Carrie B thanked Tammy Botham
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Got this at IKEA. I think it's better than the Roman shade, but I’m not 100% convinced, either.

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Love the panel look. Don't love that color in your room.

Carrie B thanked mcarroll16
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mcarroll16 - think I should just get white? If I do white panels, I think I need to hang the blinds back up as well, so guests have the option of darkening the room.

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Yeah, probably white would be best. The bedspread, rug, and wall color all add up to a lot of color going on already. I think blue panels could be beautiful if you used a neutral rug. Otherwise white. There are white blackout panels, if you want an all-in-one solution. White Roman shades with blackout lining could also work.

What color are your walls? I've got bedroom that needs new paint, I would love that color in there.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I think they could work, but would need a bit of coordination tweaking in the room … pillows, or throw, etc.

But if you don’t love them, don’t force it … get white or ivory. Then you can do anything you want in there.

Agree — love the panel look. And yes on pairing with blinds.

I’d make your bed like this — fold the duvet/comforter down:

Woven blinds with gold:

I do think white or ivory would be very lovely against your wall color. It’s a matter of the feel you want — more dramatic or more calm?

• la_la Girl
    2 years ago

I do think the white panels would be crisp and still softening (love how you have them hung so high!) - could you get a bamboo shade with the blackout/insulating liner? We have those in my son's room and they give texture but def get keep the room dark - just another option (you can also add liners to traditional bamboo blinds pretty easily). Window treatments are so overwhelming - it is prob the only thing that consistently frustrates me in my house lol -

the room is looking wonderful!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mcarroll16- the walls are SW Lemon Chiffon. It's a nice light yellow for a room that doesn't get a lot of natural light.

I have some metal blinds (you can see them, pulled up in the first photo.) I might just put them back up, since I already have them. That will give me more flexibility with the panels. I agree that white would just be easier.

@Jilly - At this point, I just want to be done! I saw some of those nice while/light yellow patterned curtains Online, but I really want to be able to see them in person. Returning is such a hassle. I usually like ivory, as opposed to white, but that ivory Roman shade (I know, actual colors can vary despite name) looked so dull on my wall!

@la_la Girl - Thank you! Since I already have the metal venetian blinds, I'll probably just go ahead and put them back up. They're not pretty, but they are functional, and when they're up, you don't really see them, and when down, you can close the curtains over them.

Thank you all so much! Off to IKEA to return the gold panels, and maybe pick up some white...

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Thanks for the paint color! And good luck with the room. It's already beautiful!

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I wasn’t suggesting getting patterned, was just posting another woven blind look. :)

Show us what you get next!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Jilly - i didn't necessarily think you were suggesting patterned - the fact that two out of three of your posted images had patterned yellow panels - made me think of them, and that I like them for that room.

One of the pairs of whites is up. I do like white, but am not sure, still. Because the right hand side of the right window is so close to the corner, that panel would cover a lot of the window, even in the open position. And I can't figure out if I should do the other window the same way - if the window treatments are not the same as each other, that looks odd, but the panel covering a third of the window when open... I don't like that, either. And then, what do I do with the other side? If both sides are equal, then so much of the window is covered... Ugh.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

What about doing one panel on each window, instead of two?

Or tie-backs again, but with the white? Like this I posted earlier:

Carrie B thanked Jilly
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, @Jilly - so odd that I seem to get notifications of new comments about 50% of the time... Yes, both of your suggestions are possibilities. It's too bad that, if I do one panel on each, it would be the outside of each window, which includes the problem corner. Tiebacks are a possibility as well.

Here’s a set of the white panels, pushed off the window as far as possible.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Good morning! Same here, with notifications. I got this one just now, but wasn’t getting any yesterday.

I like the white a lot! I think it’s the header (rod pocket) … if you had these on rings, they’d stay open better. I think. I’m not a curtain expert.

Ignore this room, just showing rings:

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Also, I’m going to keep nagging you about doing a layered look on the bed. You can tell me to shut up.

I need to see the blue cover folded down! :D

Carrie B thanked Jilly
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Jilly - curtain rings might be the answer. I don't like the look (but like the function) of grommets, and rings seem to function the same way, pretty much.

OK, OK, I'll try folding down the comforter - as soon as I get all this curtain stuff off the bed! :-)

All those darned pillows, on the other hand... Excess pillows on beds that actually get used for anything other than show drive me nuts.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Ok, fine, I won’t nag about pillows later. :D

Fun seeing the room come together! You have a great style, it’s going to look wonderful (and be inviting and cozy).

Carrie B thanked Jilly
  • mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Carrie B, if it's grommets you object to, not actual rings, there's a solution. Not sure what it's called, but there's a curtain style that has essentially a rod pocket, but with "button holes" sewn into the back side of the pocket. You use a special hook that inserts into the button holes and connects to curtain rings.

Lots of pillows are actually useful on a guest bed. You can use them to turn your headboard into a comfy sofa back, propping up to read or use your laptop in bed. Or to just customize your sleeping. People with reflux or apnea benefit from elevating the head more. People with back and hip problems benefity from inserting a pillow under their knees (back sleepers) or between their knees (side sleepers). The key is a nice large basket near the bed that can hold any pillows not in use.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mcarroll16 - The grommets just look too modern for me, though I think they're fine in other people's homes.

Decorative pillows on beds just don't make sense to me - I keep two pillows (one firm, one soft) per person on each bed, and tell guests where to find extra pillows if they need more - never once in ten years of hosting has anyone ever taken extra out of the closet, which isn't to say some people don't sleep with three or four pillows, I just haven't seen it, even though I offer that option.

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Understand. Grommets don't work for our decorating style either. Here's a picture of a Pottery Barn curtain that uses rings that hook into the back of the curtain. This look may not fit your style either, just an option to consider.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mcarroll16 - Yeah, that's the conclusion I'm coming to, looking at images with the clips. A little formal for me.

It's still a bit of a dilemma. Still thinking about the possibility of a more relaxed Roman shade. At this point, I've bought and returned a bunch of stuff, and some of it isn't even technically returnable.

Funny how certain home decorating projects I just get so stuck on...

• amykath
    2 years ago

@Jilly that first photo has always been a room that I have loved! The second is gorgeous as well. I am like you when it comes to making a bed and how the blankets and pillows etc are placed and how they are placed.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Ak, I love pillows! Don’t tell Carrie. 😁

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So, I’m still agonizing. ;-)

I think I’m going to rehang the mini blinds, at least for the time being. They are functional and metal.

I’m wondering how the below rendering would work for the white panels: if I hang them, say, 5 or six inches to either side of the left window, and then an inch or so the the right of the right window (there are only two inches to work with, there) and maybe eight inches to the left of that window, will that trick the eye and de-emphasize the right corner/asymmetry?

Or will it just look weird?

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

I think that would look really nice. Do you have enough sheets to construct a mock up? Doing so many returns must be frustrating.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mcarroll16 - I still have the (creamy) white IKEA panels. I've got new curtain rods on order, so will try my idea when they arrive next week!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@simplynatural - I *just* saw your comment! Thank you. Sheets would have been a great idea - I'll keep that in mind for my next window project. I think I'm going to keep the white/off white IKEA curtains, since I already have them. I put them up today, using the rendering idea I did a few days ago, though your mockup looks so good I'm questioning my decision!

• simplynatural
    2 years ago

We would love to see, @Carrie B, if you want to post an "after" picture.

Carrie B thanked simplynatural
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi again, everyone. Thank you sooooo much for all of your help!

I love it when my ideas evolve, in collaboration, like they have here.

Yesterday afternoon, I hung up new curtain rods (Target) and the IKEA panels in the way that I mocked up above - to try to minimize the asymmetrical look of the windows. I was pretty happy with it, but still not completely satisfied. Here's the photo I look yesterday, before cleanup:

I thought about adding sheers in between the solid panels, to lend softness, when the blinds are closed, and a bit of a sense of privacy when the blinds are open.

I thought I wanted something with texture, to add a bit of interest. I went to IKEA and bought some pretty, textured sheers. But when I hung them, the look was a little too much, overwhelming.

I had a pair of plain, white sheers on my dressing room windows. I traded the pretty textured sheers (now on my dressing room window, where they look lovely) for one sheer panel in the middle of each window.

While it's not so easy to open & close the solid curtains, it is easy to reach between the panels to open/close the blinds. I'm thinking most guests (I rent on Airbnb, and this is where partner sleeps when he stays over about once a week) will just close the blinds and leave the curtains as is.

I am completely happy with it!

Thanks so much again for your ideas, thoughts, encouragement, mockups, examples and your patience!

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

That looks lovely! So glad you found a winning combo.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Carrie, that looks wonderful! I love that look, great job! Sheers are so cozy and gracious with panels like that. :)

Carrie B thanked Jilly
  • privateprivateprivate
    2 years ago

Geez, isnt it time to do away with this ‘layered look’ on guest beds. It’s so frustrating as a guest to have to find places to move all those throw pillows and blankets. Maybe one extra blankie in a closet, in case a guest should get cold.

Also, what’s with this fad of long pooling curtains in all rooms? Dust collectors

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@privateprivateprivate -

- I'm not a fan of throw pillows on beds. There is not one throw pillow on this bed.

-The blankets on the bed are all sleeping blankets - one wool blanket and one comforter. Do you find that excessive for winter in the US northeast?

-Not one curtain in this room touches the floor. No pooling whatsoever.

I'm wondering if you commented on the wrong post?

• Jilly
    2 years ago

A sheet, blanket, and duvet is pretty typical for most beds, and Carrie stated earlier she's not a fan of lots of pillows.

Also — I don’t see any curtain pooling here.

(Edited for typos.)

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Maybe s/he is trying to compliment Carrie?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mcarroll16 - Maybe?!?

• simplynatural
    2 years ago

Looks beautiful, @Carrie B! I would love to stay there!

Carrie B thanked simplynatural
  • beadsnsew
    2 years ago

Your curtain solution is lovely! Kudos to you on your offering of bed pillow options for your guests. As a frequent Airbnb user I can say, it is really nice to have the choice! Also - to affirm no decor pillows on the bed. When we stay at an Airbnb, cleanliness, a tastefully decorated room, and limited things that must be removed/stored for us to use surfaces are so appreciated.

Carrie B thanked beadsnsew
  • chloebud
    2 years ago

Nicely done, Carrie!

Carrie B thanked chloebud