SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcarter348

Help! 1990 pinewood cottage !

Mcarter348
2 years ago

In the last year made a move from renting to homeowning in a 700 square-foot cottage put all of my apartment furniture in when I moved in. Now I am looking to change the space and buy new/used furniture decor to fit the space having a hard time figuring out how to make it look good despite hours on Pinterest. Side note I through the place together to Airbnb last summer, and it was a good source of income and likely will do Airbnb again, so I am always keeping that in mind when planning.

Challenges;
-storage only one closet and is in the bathroom
-Small windows in main rooms not a lot of light
-Kitchen layout is a bizarre small water heater under the far left kitchen counter, hidden by the oven.

• All kitchen cabinets are mix and match
    -Pinewood everywhere
  • well water with hard water

Living room thoughts;
Inventory

1. Sectional couch turns into a bed
  2. Coffee table and tv stand
  3. tv
  4. Propane fireplace
  5. Two beige barrel chairs
  6. Round short side table
  7. One tall lamp
    Move TV to where the white square Mirror is
    -Small cabinet that fits directly under it.
  • I use the old TV wall for the gallery picture wall not sure if I can fit a longer short cabinet underneath for storage.
    Rid of current TV stand/coffee table.
    Two beige chairs I will be getting rid of as they are in bad shape with covers on top.
    -Replace with Morris style chairs
    End tables too small for the couch not sure what would look good with the sectional style couch?
    -thinking about the rectangle top style that can slide under the couch if needed
    The door to the left of the square mirror is a second useless door to the main bedroom.
    Currently have a wardrobe against the other side of it.
    -Find a perfect shape cabinet to fit on the door frame? Take outdoor and build small shelves with wood backing?

Kitchen
Inventory

1. Apt size oven with oven range that isn’t connected to the outside.
  2. Apt size fridge
  3. Stackable apt size washer dryer (slowly dying)
  4. Half-size water tank
  5. Table with two white chairs
  6. Large white cabinet
  7. Apt size deep freezer
  8. Butcher's block
  9. Microwave etc
  10. 2nd Cuisinart butcher's block smaller

Thoughts;
Eventually, replace appliances to standard size.
-if bigger freezer, may not need a deep freeze
Replace water heater
-tankless electric bought, would like to move tank but unsure of difficulty/cost
Change table and chairs
-more picnic table style longer but shorter width up against window wall by stove or the wall that has deep freeze and cabinet with the longer bench seating one side pushed in, move one of butchers blocks as an “island” for kitchen.
Cabinets
-try to salvage? Paint white, add new handles, or replace with used that all match
-like to remove the half-wall that separates the kitchen from the living room to give more space to the living room. Issues Doubt there is a floor underneath it has one baseboard heater.

Main bedroom thoughts;
Inventory

1. Queen bed with IKEA storage bed frame
  2. One white nightstand
  3. Two side wardrobe
    Replace bed frame as falling apart and bulky
    -Simple metal frame and headboard, potentially move the bed to the far side of the room and facing turn another way, so not the first thing you see when you walk in?
    Bedside table replace as damaged
  • floating shelves for tables? I only have one bedside table currently

Spare bedroom thoughts;
Inventory

1. Full day bed with trundle twin underneath
  2. small yellow plant stand
  3. dresser
  4. storage ottoman
    Not sure how to make the room work. It is slightly smaller than spare.

Bathroom thoughts;
Inventory
1.claw foot tub

1. Vanity and medicine cabinet
  2. Not finished closet
    4.one small wood shelf

Pine wood surrounding the tub
-potentially remove the surrounding wood to have the claw foot tub showing but would need to paint outside and change the flooring as not completely finished underneath? Tile the walls around the tub ?
-replace vanity medicine cabinet as showing their age likely will but just a mirror no medicine cabinet
-remove wood shelf and all 3 towel bars
-closet is bare wood boards built in, likely put in place to his the water pump that also lives in this closet.

Comments (8)