SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venexiano

Family room: where to put focal point (fireplace+TV) and furniture

venexiano
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am renovating a 1959 home, trying to give a modern look. I bought 8" wide oak (Champagne color by Oak and Broad). I ordered a new kitchen (white and teal cabinets, white and gray countertops, see model below, it will be installed in one month). I am tearing down 2 walls around the kitchen for a more open space plan and more light coming into the kitchen. Now I have a hard time figuring out what to do of the family room (on the right of the kitchen below, with a view of the pool). Room is 25'3" by 15'7". Pool table is 8' by 4'7". Here is the video of the family room as it is now before the remodeling (and here is a video of the whole open space if you wanna take a look). I will remove those ugly panels with drywalls and will paint the wall white. Now, I am debating how to furnish it and where to put a TV and an electric fireplace. My thoughts:

a) Initially I wanted to put a big TV (75-85") next to the pool table, see the model of the entertainment studio here, and put two couches facing each other on the right of the pool table (OPTION 1 sketch below). Then I thought it doesn't make sense to have a huge TV there, it is too close to the pool players, and only half of the people seating on the 2 couches will face the TV. Also, a fireplace would not be seen unless it is above pool height, but then it would not leave enough space for a TV above it.

b) Then I thought it could be better to have the fireplace and TV on the smaller wall on the right with a sectional or couch+chair facing toward it. This way both people playing pool and sitting can watch the game on the TV. And this would allow the fireplace to be closer to the ground. Next to the pool table I will have a similar bookshelf as in OPTION 1 but without TV (OPTION 2 sketch below)

Questions are:

1) do you see other possible options? moving the pool table to the right could be a third option, with fireplace+tv on the left, but not sure it would leave enough space for couches (OPTION 3 below)

2) I am still debating if I should have a bar with 3-4 stools on the kitchen peninsula. I like it and my girlfriend absolutely loves the idea, but I wonder if space is a bit tight, or is it good?

3) If I remove the bar on the peninsula, I save space, and maybe i can have a couch there, but I think a couch with a sink behind it would be weird, right?

4) If I go for option 1, would you go for a sectional as in my drawing, or would you put a sofa and 1 chair? Or maybe 3 chairs?

5) How do you see the same Pietra Gray countertop on also the family room cabinets, both fireplace and bookshelf

OPTION 1:

OPTION 2:

OPTION 3:

Comments (5)