SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rorycn

Reconfigure Master and Powder Room: Ideas needed

Rory (Zone 6b)
2 years ago

The house is a raised ranch built in 1971. Master bedroom and 2nd bedroom are on the 1st level. The lower level has 2 bedrooms and a bath with shower only (no tub). Even though the original house plans show 4 bedrooms the 2nd bedroom, next to the master, does not have private access to a full bath. We would like to remodel both the master bath and the powder room at the same time and add a tub/shower combo in the powder room so that the 2nd bedroom has access to a full bath.

I am looking for ideas as to how best accomplish this.

Here is the layout from the original house plans (this shows the one end of the house that has to 2 upper level bedrooms & the master bath and PR).

This shot is from the master BR looking toward the master bath. Door to bath on the left and small closet on the right.

As you step into the master bath.

Waste of space old jetted tub.

Toilet wall that is shared with PR wall.

Vanity that was cobbled together by the previous owners.

Old tile corner shower

View from 2nd bedroom looking past master bedroom door on the left and toward coat closet and powder room.

View from foyer, powder room on right, master bedroom door on left.

Powder room

I know there is way (maybe more than one way), to make this better and I would appreciate any and all input. TYSM!!

Comments (63)

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I appreciate your time and effort!!!

• scout
    2 years ago

I dont know if this would work or maybe some variation. youd have to give up th coat closet but at least not cut into the master bath

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked scout
  • Related Discussions

Design ideas needed for powder room wavy tile ceiling gap

Q

Comments (12)
    I don't like the LED idea. I would suggest a piece of wood molding, maybe 1" or more, painted to match the tile color. If you caulk carefully where the molding overlaps the wavy tile -- so that the small gaps are filled in -- it will look just fine after you paint it.
    ...See More

need ideas and suggestions for powder room “small” remodel

Q

Comments (2)
    I am adding more pics of possible mirrors.
    ...See More

I need ideas on how to decorate this large wall in my powder room.

Q

Comments (3)
    I think continuing with the gallery wall would be fantastic, but the pieces look a little wobbly at the moment. I think the problem might be that they are not straight. It might also be that you are trying to put vertical and horizontal pieces together in the same size frame as the horizontal pieces. I think you need some larger pieces in the mix. I use glue dots on the corners to keep the frames straight. The smaller the frame, the more noticeable it will be if they are not straight. If you keep what you currently have, I would rearrange so that the vertical pieces are not all in the same row. @idaclaire has a fabulous gallery wall in her bathroom!
    ...See More

My quirky idea for my powder room, I need help.

Q

Comments (16)
    "And what is the huge commitment? If you tire of wallpaper - even if it is the "real" kind, just change it. It is a small space and not a huge financial commitment." Helen, maybe I'm terribly unlucky but I still have leftover glue from the PO's wallpaper border in one of my bathrooms. (If only the vanity had that kind of durability :P). Also, don't know about Victoria's option but the wallpaper murals that tempt me end up running close to 1K for a small room. Must admit when I break down the wallpaper option, it daunts me quickly. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade as I love the look of many wallpapered powder rooms. @Victoria Holloway, forgot another alternative to wallpaper: paint stencil (depending on DIY-ability, etc.). Just sharing in case you want options. I wish you luck in your decision. Keep pattern scale in mind for best effect and if you go ahead with it, please share your "after" pics!
    ...See More
  • Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes Scott, I was trying to see if there was a way to leave the wall between the two spaces in tact and add a tub to the powder room. I would much rather lose the small closet in the master or the coat closet to accomplish that while keeping the toilet in the same location.

I do need a tub/shower combo in what is now the powder room because there is no other tub in the house besides the jetted one that will be removed. I very much miss having a tub and I also think we need one for resale.

I guess we could do a tub/shower combo in the master and just add a shower to the powder room but DH and I really like the bigger walk-in type shower for using everyday.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Looking at the picture, it seems that the powder room can be enlarged by 1'5" without being in conflict with the skylight. The glass for the shower does not need to go all the way to the ceiling. As for the powder room, maybe if you do it like emilyam819 drew it, you might not need to move the toilet:

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked suzanne_m
  • Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, these are very helpful! What is the program that you use to make the floor plans?

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

It's Visio from Microsoft.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

This one does not require to move the toilet in your master bathroom neither the shower. The toilet in the powder room is moved but it should not be very expensive since is it aligned with the toilet in your master bathroom. Unfortunately, by not moving the toilet, it feels like it is in the middle of the place but it is not the first thing you see when you enter the bathroom.

EDIT: Actually the toilet in your bathroom is moved 1'5" forward but it may not be that expensive if the pipes are in the same direction as the toilet (which I believe it should be). It is certainly something worth verifying.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I like that last plan. What is the gray box behind the shower?

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Just an empty wasted space. You could maybe add shelves or use that space accessed from the bedroom or make your shower 8'3" long. I would probably rotate the tub 180 degrees so it is easier to reach the faucet and make the vanity beside it 1'10" deep.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

A good use for that gray space could be to keep clean rolled towels:

If you use it for towels, I would not make it 3'0" deep. It might be hard to clean the back when it is that narrow. 2'0" deep should be ok. I would possibly add a door at the bottom to hide the toilet brush.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

If the North wall is an outside wall, you will probably need to double the thickness of that wall where the shower is to put the plumbing. In that case you can make the shower 4" longer and the gray space 4" narrower. By experience from my friends who have a walk-in shower, they need a 42" glass to avoid water going outside the shower. I drew it 44" because you have the space.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Maybe I don't technically mean that I want a "walk-in" shower, if that means there is no curb. What I mean when I said walk-in shower is that the shower is not in a tub. I actually need an enclosed shower because our winters are cold.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I must say I don't like corner cabinet neither corner vanities but on this one the vanities are not that bad because 2 people can stand in front of their own sink without using the same floor space. The advantage of this layout is the toilet is more grounded and the shower is wider. I think I like the other one better but I thought I should show you this one anyway:

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

This one could work but I don't know where to put the towel bar ... maybe on the shower door:

This layout would also work with a double sink vanity that is on the North wall (no L-shape vanity).

• scout
    2 years ago

What about this? It makes the toilet a little more private. You could add a linen closet or extend the counter where the toilet is.

• Denise Marchand
    2 years ago

Seeing the powder room from your entrance seems disturbing.

Eliminate the hall closet and relocate to foyer, and move doorway from the foyer to bedroom hall towards stair. If that window near the entrance door interferes with the new closet, Jog the wall past the window frame and create a sculpture niche or small shelf and mirror.

Enlarge hall bath and relocate door to bath, facing second bedroom.

In primary bath off bedroom, relocate shower (see inspiration pic) to eliminate the wall when entering the bath, to take advantage of the natural light from window.

Hope this helps.

Primary Bath off Primary Bedroom

Shower in Primary Bath off Primary Bedroom

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked Denise Marchand
  • Denise Marchand
    2 years ago

Niche near front entrance - of course narrower and then bump out to accommodate closet depth.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The foyer can't be changed. I am stuck with the space that I have on that end of the house. I just need to figure out how to work with the bathroom spaces without losing master bedroom space. I think that dividing wall needs to move over to get something workable.

Thanks for all the ideas!

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

If you shift the shower down so that the controls are on the master bedroom end, you could create an access panel on that wall to get to your plumbing, if required. The towel storage could be at the other end, or, that extra space could serve as a medicine chest accessed from the adjacent vanity. Just a thought…. When you said you live in a cold climate, I think “frozen pipes.” Good luck!

Rory (Zone 6b) thanked ptreckel
  • suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I was looking at the wrong wall when I said you could move the wall 1'5". If you look at this picture, can you tell me how far is the skylight from the back wall and the right wall?

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

8" from the side wall (powder room) & 2'8" from the back wall.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I found this idea while Googling small bathroom floor plans. Maybe something like this could work?

"Interior designers have to think creatively to maximize available space. A not uncommon scenario is for the master bath to share a wall with a guest bath. If both are designed as rectangles, then they would each feel more cramped. But by allowing the master bath's walk-in shower to use some of the space of the guest bath, both rooms feel larger and are more functional."

Ideas

• scout
    2 years ago

This is what I was trying to draw up yesterday, but was at work so was hard to show. You would lose the coat closet, but you wouldnt have to move the master bathroom wall. It gives you more space to work with in the master as well.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Scout, I don't think that would work. The most depth that I can get along the back wall of the closet is 30".

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Here's one that is close to scout's idea but there are pros and cons. I am guessing the exact location of the skylight. I think it is close to where I drew it.

PROS

- You still keep 3'0" of closet by the entrance

- The left and right walls surrounding the toilet stay intact

- The toilet in your master bathroom stays in the same location

- The walls in your master bathroom seem not to be in conflict with the skylight

- The existing door to the powder room stays at its current location but it needs to slide the other direction.

CONS

- There are tubs on the market that are only 4'0" long. A bit short but I think it should be ok.

- The toilet in the powder room is moved but might be not too expensive to move since is it aligned with its old location. I am not sure about this but if you ask a plumber I would really like to hear what he/she says.

BTW, you have a very nice house. If you can make it work with some compromises then I don't think it is worth to spend money to make some 'luxury' changes. It is also a guest bathroom so I suppose it is used only occasionally.-

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Suzanne, Could you please do one more floor plan for me? Based on the last plan that you posted:

For the powder room could you keep the vanity where it is, move the toilet back to the original location but turn it to face the vanity, and put a shower where you have the toilet now? I think I could fit a 38x40" shower in that location. I would keep the pocket door but have it slide the opposite way (in towards the shower).

If that would fit I could leave the big wall alone and put a tub in the master bath.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I am not 100% that the skylight is not in conflict with the tub wall but if it works and you can make your closet 2'6", you can get a wider vanity:

• Denise Marchand
    2 years ago

Great suggestions here especially for the master bath. There has to be a way to change the door to the second bath so it’s not facing the foyer. Back to the drawing board!

• scout
    2 years ago

I see. I was hoping there was room to bump the doorway in towards the hall another 6" for a 36" wide sink. Is there any space to do that? I think 36" would be wide enough?

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Is that what you mean by the changes you wanted me to do in the guest bathroom? If so, and if you are willing to put a shower in the guest bathroom, I am pretty sure you could have better options where the vanity is bigger. I could take some time to think about it.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

If you can make the entrance closet 2'6" deep then I think this would be a better layout than above:

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

This is one where both toilets stay in the same location and you have a tub in the guest bathroom and the entrance is not facing to foyer but you lose the skylight in your master bathroom:

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m

31" is the most depth that I can get out of the closet area.

The skylight is 38" from north wall, 24" from the south wall, & 8" from the east wall. The narrow ends of the skylight are in the north/south orientation.

That last plan looks like it may work.

Do you think is would work to have a narrow soaking tub in the master and also a shower but make the vanity smaller with only 1 sink? I plan to use a pocket door for entry from the bedroom to the bath to free up some wall space. Not sure it that's cramming too much into that area.

Thanks again!!

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Should we eliminate all the layouts where the skylight is in the guest bathroom?

EDIT: What size of soaking tub do you have in mind? What is the direction of the skylight (3'0" x 2'0")? It seems that it is W/E (blue rectangle) but the measurements fit better with N/S direction (green rectangle). The yellow wall is where your current wall is.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I would like to keep the skylight in the master.

The skylight is N/S (green).

I don't want a large tub, just one that is comfortable for soaking or bathing children. I think these show a nice use of space but I am not sure how pratical they are. TBH this house will probably not appeal to buyers with small children anyway and all my kids are grown. I want a tub for me and also think it's a good idea to have at least one in most houses.

Michigan Ave Master Bathroom · More Info

Bathroom · More Info

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

This one sounds good except that you don't have a cabinet in your master bathroom and the shower in the guest bathroom is small. It might be doable since the shower is long. I know my brother has a narrow shower and I used it. It worked but it could not have been any smaller. I don't remember the size it was. I will ask him.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is also a really nice use of a small space!

Water Oaks Multi Room · More Info

• scout
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m Do you think this would work?

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Yes, I think that would work but I would switch the tub and the shower because the window is very low. I would also make the toilet area narrower (with a wall but not enclosed because it is narrow and you don't want to feel to cramped). This way you can pushed the tub to the right so you have a more open space when getting in and out of the tub. I will draw what I think later (after 5:00pm).

EDIT: To add a wall to the toilet with my idea of making the toilet narrower, it would have to be a pony wall because of the skylight.

• scout
    2 years ago

OKay thanks. I have two water closets with pocket doors and I put skylights in both (the one bath below is not finished yet). I thought since the space is longer she could take advantage of the space. But OTHOH with that big skylight she might be limited with fan/light placement in the wc. She might be ablet to fit a fan/light combo, but I think there’s space for both..

• scout
    2 years ago

If she didnt want the tub, then she could add a second vanity where it is, which is what I would do.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Scout, I love your bathrooms - very nice!

I do need a tub. Either in the guest bath or master bad. I can't believe it's the skylight that is making this even more complicated. My DH suggested to let the 2 rooms straddle the slylight some how. I am sure a piece of drywall could be built in but I am not sure of the ascetics of that idea.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I like your last layout but I would switch the toilet and the tub.

EDIT: I mean put the tub where the second vanity is and switch the toilet with the shower. I don't think a 3x3 shower fits though. I think the max. is 2'9" or 2'10".

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

If Rory likes the idea of an enclosed toilet then she could keep the toilet where you drew it and the shower in the corner where the window is.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@scout

On your drawing of the guest bath would a bigger shower be possible if it were moved to the south wall? I v'e got 3'7" of width at that end of the space. The toilet or vanity could go either on the west or east side of the north wall.

The skylight in the master only allows me to steal 2'8" of ceiling space so I can't fit a 3'x3 shower up there and 2'8" width is too narrow to shower. Is 2'8" allowed for a toilet, if so it may be better up there.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Rory you are thinking what I was thinking: I moved the shower on the South wall. I chose to put the sink on the closet wall because it does not need to be 2'6" (as it is the minimum a toilet requires). Doing so, you can have a door but it has to be only 2'0" wide (you could if you wish, keep the closet 2'0", have the sink 2'0" wide and have a door 2'2" wide).

The first layout is with an enclosed toilet. I must say I like the second layout better because it is more open and you get a bigger shower. You have full length of glass for the shower and you can have towel bars handy every where you need them. Of course, you may not move the guest bathroom wall if you prefer. Your shower would be 3'7" wide instead of 4'0" but I would keep the toilet as is so you have a nice standard size 6'0" vanity. You could move the toilet forward in the guest bathroom and add that space to the toilet in your bathroom but personally I find 2'10' wide space for a toilet is comfortable.

It's also nice that you have the view of the skylight when you rest in the tub :).

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

One last one. I must say I am not liking it that much but it saves on the cost of moving the toilets and the shower stays in the same location (scout drew one too with the shower staying at the same location).

Actually, this might be possible: You have two swing doors for your shower and when you take a bath, you open both of them. The tub would be more open and you have full length to get in and out of the tub.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@suzanne_m

I am not understanding the 2 glass door concept between the shower and tub. Can you explain that a bit? I like that last plan with the cabinet in front of the tub.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

This is not my best photoshop but I could not do better. I used this picture to make my photoshop. As you can see the 2 doors are perpendicular. The 2 doors in my photoshop are not one beside each other even if it looks like it. Imagine that the left door (the one touching the tub) swings towards the inside of the shower and the door on the right side (the 'real' shower door) swings towards the toilet:

I must say, I have never seen a concept like this but seeing the shower with 2 doors, it seems possible to do what I suggest. It is something to confirm with your contractor.

Also, if you don't like the idea of seeing a toilet when you shower, you can put a full wall facing the toilet.

BTW, if you keep the guest bathroom 3'7" wide, you can have a deeper cabinet.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

This is another one where the two toilets share the same wall. The towel bar is not close to the shower but maybe you can use hooks instead. You have no cabinet but you have full access to the tub without having to deal with the shower doors: