SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venexiano

AC box burned overnight, new AC system, is the company responsible?

venexiano
2 years ago

I woke up with a cold house and AC off. It is a Trane system installed in 2019, 10-year warranty. My AC installer was fully booked today, and since it's a cold week in the 30s-40s degrees here in Gainesville, FL, I called another company. They found that the box had some fused electrical stuff (see picture below) and the box needs to be replaced (~$250). They said also that they dont like the wiring, there are cables of different materials wrapped up together. They said they can replace the box but I would have to sign a waiver that if the box fuses again I will have to pay again for a new one. They said they are surprised how it is possible the AC company installed this brand new Trane in 2019 with this messed up wiring. They suggested getting an electrician to check the wiring and possibly upgrade to a new breaker. I have a very old one (see pic), and, indeed, when I plug in my electric pressure washer, every half an hour the breaker gets tripped. What do you suggest besides calling the electrician first thing in the morning:

1) Should I call the AC company that installed this new Trane in 2019 with this messed up wiring and tell them to cover the cost and installation of the box? I already pay $90 call for the company that cames today for not solving the problem

2) Should I get a new breaker? Maybe also the entire wiring of the house? It is a 1959 house.

Comments (27)