SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidfairport

Design help needed: Cabinet upper and lower alignment/ arrangement

David B
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are a kitchen dealer/distributor doing a lot of moderate-priced kitchen sales to remodelers, flippers, and property managers. We only supply cabinets- no installation.

I have been doing this for a lot of years, but am a very basic designer. I often work with challenging spaces that I work hard to make things fit into. I'm better at designing for function than for beauty.

A challenge I often struggle with is getting the base and wall cabinets to look good together, as far as door placement. For instance, ideally I try to have the base and wall cabinets line up so the doors line up. A W30 over a B30, etc. But sometimes I can't do this, if there's a window, corner, etc.

I just sold a kitchen that the customer is very happy with, but when I saw it installed I was a little bothered by the way the cabinets didn't line up. I can't figure out how I could do it differently, though.

Here is the one wall:

It's the W36 and the W15 that bother me. They are not full overlay, but the 36 has butt doors, so there is a funny gap between the cabinets that looks unbalanced. Is there a better way I could have done this?

While I'm at it, here's another one I just started and am trying to figure out the alignment of uppers and lowers:

So on the left wall, both cabinets are double butt-door, partial overlay, and are different sizes, so the doors don't line up. I assume that's not a design sin. On the right, though, the 36's are double door, and, again, we have that W12 that's a bit isolated. Is there a more attractive solution?

I'd really appreciate some help from with better design and aesthetic skills than I. Can you help with some advice? Thanks, in advance.

Comments (2)