SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ophelia_bosch

LED lights and Dimmers: Cafe Induction Range and LED Light Buzz

Ophelia Bosch
2 years ago

Offering this information to anyone trying to troubleshoot induction range buzzing noise.

We finished a full kitchen remodel in September 2021 and installed a Cafe Induction range in October (delay due to supply chain). I was so excited with the range until I put a pot of water on the burner on maximum and heard the loud BUZZZZZZ....

The buzzing noise was LOUD on maximum power and was still noticeable in the other room when turned to medium low. This was using All Clad pots; of course if I used heavy iron Le Crueset it was much less noisy but still noticeable.

We also had Kichler 4U LED undercounter lights installed, controlled with a Leviton Decora dimmer that is rated LED compatible. The buzzing from that combination was terrible, it sounded like old school fluorescent light type of buzzing. Our contractor had used this combination in another house and was puzzled why we were having problems with this noise. We swapped the Leviton dimmer (about $15) for a Lutron Diva dimmer after I did some searching on Houzz forums and after calling Kichler. The nasty buzzing completely went away!

Shortly after this I noticed one day when I had an All Clad pot of water on high, if I had the ceiling LED lights turned off, the buzz was imperceptable. As soon as I turned on the overhead lights with the Leviton dimmer (we had only switched to Lutron dimmer for undercounter Kichlers at this point and kept the Leviton for ceiling lights) the buzz "turned on" and when I dimmed the lights up or down, the noise could be controlled as well! We switched out the ceiling light dimmer to Lutron Diva and the buzzing noise disappeared.

I'm sharing this in case anyone has a new induction range that's buzzing - try investigating the electrical components of lighting, specifically the combination of what brand of LED lights and type of LED compatible dimmer. Even though the Leviton Decora dimmer ($15 or so) said "LED compatible" it was clearly not compatible with the Kichler 4U undercounter LED lights. We had to use the expensive Lutron Diva dimmer ($70) after calling Kichler to find out what the most compatible dimmer was. LED lights have a driver in them which could have line interference with even LED rated compatible dimmers. Throw in an induction range and it's another level altogether. We ended up buying two $70 Lutron Diva dimmers to solve the induction range and Kichler 4U light buzzing problems. You might have to try different brand dimmers to find a winning combination of light dimmer switch.

Comments (5)