SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poorgirl

Stair Railing help please

poorgirl
2 years ago

We are currently rebuilding the entrance to the house. The new stairs going to the basement are in and this weekend the stairs going upstairs will be done. Since the house is 65 years old none of the stairs are consistent and to code so my husband has rebuilt them , the 3 stairs going upstairs are now going to be 4 stairs, the rise on the current stair is to high and the tread is now going to be 11” the ones going downstairs are now 10-1/4” tread which makes it nice to walk down without worrying about slipping, they used to be 8-1/2” on the tread.
You can see the piece of drywall on the landing at the bottom of the railing, this is where the new stairs will end. I would appreciate any ideas on the railing we should be using. We didn’t want a great big post at the turn to go downstairs so we had thought about running the handrail going down from the top on the left side where the pickets or glass will go, and then when you go to the basement it would be on the right side. I don’t really like this idea , if your going downstairs with something in your arms you need to switch hands and I don’t think that would work for everyone . Also we would like glass panels at the top with a wooden handrail but the glass would need to be attached to the stringers. If not glass then what would you you suggest .
Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
No doors on the closet yet due to lack of MDF.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Comments (7)