SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_mueller46

Patio furniture - cushions or no?

Embeth
2 years ago

I’m looking at furniture for an uncovered patio. Specific brand is Berlin Gardens. Love seat and chairs to go around fire pit/table. Trying to decide if deep cushion seating is a bad idea on an uncovered patio. It’s quality sunbrella fabric. The sales guy of course says they will dry in a couple hours. I’m wondering if I’ll hate my life, having to bring numerous large cushions into the garage every time it rains or cover them. Anyone have experience with Berlin gardens mayhew deep seating or just cushioned patio furniture in general. This is Midwest climate. Cushions would be out during summer time and stored the rest of the year. Thanks.

Comments (16)

• fnmroberts
    2 years ago

We store our cushions when not in use inside containers placed either side of the sofa They also serve as end tables. This way they are kept clean and dry while being immediately accessible for use. We live in northern IL - during winter we place the cushions into pladtic bags and leave in the storage cubes.

• justcallmepool
    2 years ago

FnmRoberts, that’s a lovely space! How big is that umbrella?! Looks huge!

IDK about Midwest weather and it will really depend on how often it rains and how much effort you want to extend to keep them dry and nice.

We used to have cushioned furniture on an uncovered patio in Houston and it sucked. It took longer than a couple hours to dry and even then that was with me standing them on end and turn the around, etc. while they were gross wet soggy things.

So we bought covers and left those on during “rainy” seasons. They weren’t very waterproof just resistant, so once a year we’d spray them with some waterproof stuff. Then the rain would create puddles on the covers that let the water seep in, so we’d strategically stack the cushions and pillows under the covers to prevent puddles forming.

All that work and the covers were still ugly to look at.

I’ll never do that again. And if you get containers to store them make sure they will all fit. Cushions take up more space than you think.

Maybe where you live you’d be able to leave them out a whole season or two with minimal rain and just have to move them around a couple times/year, like winter clothes.

• fnmroberts
    2 years ago

@embeth - these adirondack chairs are Berlin Gardens They’re comfortable and well made.

• Sigrid
    2 years ago

If you have cushions, store them in a water tight chest when not in use. Dashing out at 2am because the rain woke you up is no fun, nor wanting to use your deck, but the cushions are damp.

If you have a covered porch, cushions can stay out.

• Embeth
    Original Author
    2 years ago

fnmroberts- I love your yard! What a beautiful oasis! We’re in southern Wisconsin so would be similar climate. Are your containers pretty water tight then? The Berlin garden ones said they were water resistant but not water proof. Trying to decide if we have room on patio for the size and number of containers we’d need. Is that a gas fire table you have by your Adirondack chairs? Curious if those give off much heat or more just for ambiance. Do you leave your Adirondacks out uncovered all winter?

• Embeth
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Justcallmepool- thank you! You gave me some great things to think about because we were debating going the cover route if we didn’t have room for containers but sounds like covers are a bit of a pain to mess with too.

• Embeth
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sigrid - thank you! Great point!

• fnmroberts
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Embeth - Thank you - we do enjoy our outdoors, that’s why we have both intimate and group accommodations. At one time there was a hot tub near the Arborviete - when it failed we relocated the biestro table there.

Yes, our cubes are totally water tight. Those beside the sofa were located on-line as we needed ones sized for the cushions. The larger one beside the bistro table is from HD. We do store cushions in large garbage bags inside the containers as precaution. We have covers for umbrellas however store them in the garage most of the time.

The firepit generates respectable heat. It’s natural gas but a larger diameter gas line would improve the flame. Only a half-inch could be installed and it’s about 30’ from the house connection.

We do cover the Adirondacks thru the winter. Pressure wash them if necessary during the summer.

We reside near Crystal Lake in IL.

Hope this helps.

• thisisnotadrill
    2 years ago

My partner and I invested in a nice deep seating set for our uncovered deck (w/sunbrella cushions) and we are borderline obsessive about the weather forecast and keeping the cushions stored or covered. On the very rare occasion we get an unexpected shower and we weren't able to get home in time to store the cushions, even when they've gotten wet they've dried pretty quickly. We haven't had any issues with mildew or mold - we just kind of set them on edge in the sun to dry (don't leave them sitting flat on the seats).

• Indigo Rose
    2 years ago

Fmnroberts - I remember watching the video of your yard several times last summer when happening upon this forum one day. I am thrilled to have accidentally stumbled on it again and plan to study it for ideas for my own backyard as I prepare to create a landscape plan for when I retire next year. Thank you!

• fnmroberts
    2 years ago

@Indigo Rose - Thank you and enjoy your well deserved retirement. We’ve created the landscape from dirt over 25 years, mostly DIY but following a landscape plan.

• Sarah
    2 years ago

+1 for cushions. You’ll enjoy sitting outside longer! Plus when it’s chilly outside the cushion is much warmer to sit in than cold metal or plastic or wood. High quality thick foam lasts longer than thinner so don’t skimp. I have 10 year old sunbrella covered 3” cushions from Crate and Barrel that have held up ok. The 2 year old 5” cushions from Loll design will be much better for sure. We are in Boston and keep the cushions covered year round so they are dry all the time and ready for sitting.

• D Walldell
    last year

@Embeth - Just following up: What did you end up doing? Did you find something you were happy with?

• Embeth
    Original Author
    12 months ago

D Walldell - sorry for late response. Funny you should ask. I didn’t end up purchasing anything back when I originally posted this because I couldn’t make a decision. However we just ordered outdoor furniture from Yardbird this past week as a showroom opened up in our area and I was able to see it in person. Ordered a wicker resin outdoor set with cushions as well as a dining table. They make individual covers for all their pieces that are apparently pretty water resistant and get great reviews. We don’t actually have the furniture yet but I can update with how we like it. I had originally planned on a polywood set from Berlin Gardens so we could feel more comfortable leaving it out in the winter, but I didn’t find it as attractive and adding up everything I wanted to purchase including deep seating, dining, covers etc it was going to be close to $25K which was too risky for me if I didn’t absolutely love the look of it. I think the actual polywood brand has some attractive and more modern pieces, but you have to order online and put together yourself.

• Kate
    12 months ago

Just saw some great Adirondack chairs with a sling back and seat. They were super comfortable and no cushions needed. A bit pricey at about $1000 per.