SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tere_roldan11

Need help with ideas for backyard in little townhouse

Mary R
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi everyone, First time here asking questions and hoping to get some good feedback from all of you. So... I'm new at all of this, always lived in apartments, so I need a lot of help and advice.

I have a little townhouse with a small backyard.

A part of it is covered--there is an old and beat up "sunroom" (is it considered a sunroom? Enclosed porch, glass windows which need some WD-40 and a miracle) which has just a laminate sheet as a roof (not insulated) so it's not really usable, especially in summer (I live in Florida), since it feels like an oven.

It has pavers installed on the floor, and I like those.

The covered "sunroom" is about 13'4" wide and about 16' long from where the original roof of the house ends (from the "lanai" covered with the original ceiling of the house, if it makes sense).

It also leaks on the edges when it rains heavily, thank goodness not in the middle...

The glass windows, like I said, need some TLC but they work... and they have a tint film that is coming off in most of the windows so they don't look very pretty.

Also, to the right of the "sunroom," there is little area where the AC unit is (that uncovered area maybe is about 10' wide?) and there is a lot of old mulch covering an area full of rocks. It is not usable the way it is right now, I do not even know which creatures live there :/, but I want to be able to use it.

When you step out of the little "sunroom"/enclosed porch, there are some pavers installed (dirty, but nothing that a good power wash can't fix) although they are not well aligned and you can see some bad weeds growing in between the pavers/tiles. (That's the area in the photos where the big bush is and the little grill is located).

Also, for reference (and if you are curious): these are not updated pics, but they show you the area. There is not a grill now, the bush is trimmed to a very decent height (the same as the neighbors on the right) and in a better condition (but, still...), and inside the "sunroom" there is some other furniture and toys everywhere :).

And, outside, you can see there is no privacy as such. The property really ends where the bush is and about two or three inches after the paved section finishes.

I want to really be able to use the backyard and have a comfy and nice space to use. I thought of tearing down the whole "sunroom" and maybe just screening the lanai, or maybe just installing a pergola (8 x 8 right off the covered lanai, or 8 x 5?), or an awning, and then leave the rest of the space as an outdoor space, maybe do something around the AC unit such as installing some artificial turf where the mulch is now (?) and then try to add some privacy either by installing a fence like the neighbors have or maybe add some bushes which eventually will grow to a decent height--but still I will be able to enjoy the greenery I can see (I'm facing the community pool, so there is really not a lot of people passing by and no road back there).

Someone told me that I should take advantage of the square footage I already have with the sunroom and just replace the roof ("just" meaning put about $5k at least just for that, yikes), and then do whatever I want with the rest of the area, but not tear it down, especially because I might miss it once it's gone... I don't know. (If I tear it down, I'm not building it back again, but... which option should I choose? Or are there any other options?)

I do not have a green thumb at all, I like having the pavers already there as something I can keep and "build" upon. Yes, I would like some greenery, but maybe a bed of flowers or some pots with some low-maintenance plants that add a pop of color, but nothing that requires a lot of work. I am not even sure about keeping that bush there although it definitely adds privacy and a separation from the neighbor.

Also, you do not see it in the pics, but there is really no privacy on the other side with the other neighbor, because the "sunroom" and its glass windows act like a "fence" between us. If I tore it down, a fence would probably need to be installed, etc.

If you ask me what I envision of this area--I do not know. :-D. I want to be able to use it; I envision some outdoor space but also some coziness (does it make sense?), not messy areas where I do not even know if I will find creatures hidden there (in fact, I already found a snake partying around the AC unit once or twice, yikes), maybe some privacy (?), a modern and simple space that is pleasing to the eye but functional, too... Too much to ask? I do not even know what I want or if it is something I can ask for.

I like light, and right now the sunroom takes too much light away (the living room inside is quite dark), which is something I might have to keep dealing with if I keep the sunroom--but, maybe with some magic touches here and there, I can also have some neat outdoor space plus the sunroom, so I can have both? (Do I make sense? Lol)

So, any ideas, suggestions, or advice? I am a single mom, always on a budget, but this is a priority because I really want to use it and also, I would not mind creating a space that is likable, easy to use and maybe brings some value to the house in case I sell it in the future (although we are talking about a townhouse and not a mansion by the lake, ha).

Oh, and one more note: the backyard faces South, so the bush is on the East side of the property, and the grill (no grill currently, but in the pic) is on the West side.

If you have any questions or need more measurements or pics, please do not hesitate to ask me. I'm so lost... Any tips are appreciated. Pinterest is just a pool of dreams and confusion. :) BIG thanks in advance!

Comment (1)