FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Here's what I'm working on now

loisflan
7 months ago

Here are the beginnings of two quilts I am working on now. You might remember that I cut tons of scraps into 1 1/2" strips from 2 1/2" to 12 1/2" long. I've made three scrappy log cabins from them, but I found that I had a lot more short strips than long ones, unsurprisingly. I saw a picture of this quilt on-line somewhere and realized that it used all 2 1/2", 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" strips. Bingo! It's perfect for those times when you need a mindless task. The other quilt requires more effort - curved seams. I think it will be fun when it's finished though. What are you all working on?

Comments (12)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    7 months ago

Good for you, Lois, in finding something to use your already cut out strips! That's awesome!!! The design reminds me of something, but I can't think right now what it is. Hmmm, maybe a Walkingstick? You are so precise you won't have any trouble with curves.

I'm always working on UFOs.....at least in my mind, but I have an idea I want to try and see if it looks half-way decent. An Easter Egg Tree using a Shoo-Fly block. I have the strips cut out but non sewn together yet. :-)

loisflan thanked geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
  • jackier123
    7 months ago

Those are nice! Way to use up those bits. I have decided the way to use up all of mine are to use them as packing material when I send stuff to GrammyP and to hide them in Sharon's luggage at retreat. :) I tried making string quilts and the tub seems to get more and more full every time I make a quilt. I think there might be about 100 queen size string quilts in that tub!

loisflan thanked jackier123
  • nannykins
    7 months ago

One of my resolutions was to get back to the machine.

i pulled out my binder of ’someday’ quilts and picked a couple to think about. Yesterday, I tried a couple of sample blocks. Boy, am I rusty! I forgot how to sew a 1/4” seam.

Today was a little better. It is a scrappy quilt ( surprise) but starts with ten inch squares, rather than strips. I hope to get more units done tomorrow.

Theresa

loisflan thanked nannykins
  • fran1523
    7 months ago

Great scrappy pattern. I know what you mean about those string quilts Jackie. They multiply like rabbits.

loisflan thanked fran1523
  • Char
    7 months ago

I was just looking at a strip pattern similar to yours, Lois. Like I need to start another top, lol. The second set of blocks look interesting. What is the name of that pattern?

loisflan thanked Char
  • bev2009
    7 months ago

What a great pattern for those little pieces. I did recently complete a quilt for a friend. I thought I had taken a picture, but it's not on my computer. Next time I am at her house, I'll get a shot. Right now i am working on another comfort quilt for a friend, but I haven't been very inspired. I so rarely buy fabric, but I did for this quilt. Her surgery has been postponed several times and she is very nervous. It's a 4-5 hour surgery beginning of Feb. I need to get sewing!

loisflan thanked bev2009
  • Char
    7 months ago

Just finished this baby quilt fron the leftover hot from the pineapple quilt I worked on at the retreat.  I enjoyed putting the pinwheels together.

loisflan thanked Char
  • Char
    7 months ago

Oooh, that is a really unique design. I can't wait to see the results!

loisflan thanked Char
  • grammyp
    7 months ago

Lois, those are beautiful. Love the Tidal Pool pattern.

loisflan thanked grammyp
  • bkay2000
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Lois, are you also enjoying the hosta alphabet? Nice quilts, as always.

bkay

loisflan thanked bkay2000
  • loisflan
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Bkay, i haven’t checked in on the hosta forum in a while. I’ll have to do that. Thanks for the reminder.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars46 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022