SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missb_remodeling

Should I enclose some porch space to make my kitchen bigger?

missb_remodeling
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

This is a photo of the drawing of my first floor - well, some of it anyway. Hopefully enough to give you an idea of space and where I can/can't add space to my kitchen. We added a wraparound covered porch not long after we bought the house. The very "back" side, which is just on the other side of the sink wall, is only 3' of depth of porch. We use it to store some extra outdoor chairs, but basically it's not space we actively use.

Our architect has suggested that we could grab that space to make the kitchen deeper. The kitchen would then be about 15.5' deep but still only 11' wide. The current (11' wide by 12.5' deep) kitchen design (plan view) is below. Note that it's rotated a bit, sorry.

At most, I can only "see" that I'd gain maybe another 36" cabinet along each of the two long walls. It isn't much, but in a kitchen this size it's actually quite a bit. I'm just having a hard time visualizing how this gains me anything other than 3' more uppers and lowers. Small kitchen to begin with, but I've been living with it for almost 18 years. Of course I'd love to have an eat-in kitchen or an island. But I'm stuck with a small kitchen. I can't really push out any other direction - there is no way I'd be able to break up the symmetry of the long wall that the kitchen and dining room share.

So is it worth it to grab that extra 3' x 11' of space?

Comments (9)