SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arabian1

Mix of Window Style in Home HELP!

Grace Janine
2 years ago

Hello! I love this forum and hope you all can help. We are about to start a large exterior remodel which includes siding, roof, windows, covered outdoor area, wrap around porches and concrete walk ways. Please see photos below.

We need to start ordering materials to be ready for construction to start in May. I am really struggling with the windows and need help! Our current windows are a mix of 45 year old Andersen casement and fixed windows. The budget won’t allow Andersen so we are going with vinyl.

Here is the dilemma. It does not make sense to have casement windows anymore on the lower floor that will open up into the new covered porch and walkways. So I feel that either a three wide single hung or use the current configuration of the large windows (95.5” x 47.5”) and have two 24” single hung on either side of a fixed window. The remaining lower floor will be single hung or fixed.

The upper floor on the other hand, we can only do sliders or casement due to egress. Will that look funny? Should we incorporate check rails to make the sliders or casement look like single hung for continuity of the house? But sometimes, I think that grilled and check rails look cheap!

And then, the three windows above the garage are slated to be single hung. There is one slider or casement window in the same room. Would it look odd if we did not add a check rail to the slider/casement window??

PLEASE HELP! I have to order in a couple weeks and I am so stuck!

And the

Comments (4)