SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_clarke8516

Best Way To Get Accurate Unbiased Info on Carrier HVAC Replacement?

Bob Clarke
2 years ago

I live in NoVA and am interested in replacing my 18 yo gas furnace and hw heater, and 15 yo coil and compressor. I've had 4 contractors in and getting different and inconsistent answers on best models to buy (we have settled on 60K BTU 2 stage furnace, 2-2.5 ton coil). We will likely be in house 5-10 more years. Aiming at Performance level system, not Infinity, though I've been told I can use an Infinity compressor with Performance furnace and coil. The compressor and a heat pump air handler will be installed in a narrow alley between two houses with bedrooms on the alley in both houses so low noise level is major requirement.

Q1) Are there HVAC "consultants" who I could pay to help me confirm best system for my needs, which I would then put out as requirements to contractors (to ensure I'm getting apples to apples quotes)?

Q2) 1) Are there compressor models such as the 24VNA9 that are recommended by Carrier NOT to be installed near bedroom windows due to whine or other noises? One contractor told me about that but none of the others have. The low 60db for 24VNA9, 66 db for 24ANB6 and 68db for 24APB6 are all attractive.

Thank you for any guidance you can share.

Bob C

Falls Church, VA

Comments (7)