SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
v1rok_gw

Summer is coming -- HVAC repair or replace?

v1rok
14 years ago

I am a newbie in this type of issues, so please bear with me.

SFH in Virginia. Last summer we noticed that AC was not cooling the house properly. We called AC guy who checked the system and found that it was low on freon/puron. He said there was a leak, most likely in the coil, but the leak was not very serious one. He recommended simply recharging the system with puron (~$350), hoping it would last awhile.

We did live with our AC through the summer, but sometimes in the Fall, during warm days, we noticed again that AC was working all the time but not cooling the house. So, puron probably leaked out again. Instead of trying to fix it then, I decided to wait until Spring (which has finally arrived.)

Last Fall I did call AC company to find out how much it would cost for me to replace the coil and recharge puron, and was quoted around $1600, including puron and labor.

My system AC system (Carrier) is about 7-8 years old, though we did replace the blower and the furnace (but not the AC unit) about 4 years ago.

My question is: should I try to replace the whole AC unit right now instead of paying $1600 for the coil alone (on an old system)? I am hoping I could take advantage of tax credits, maybe, and get a more efficient system that will last longer? Does it make sense?

Comments (12)