SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frenchcottageaussies

Large, Disease-Free Climber with Good Repeat for Nashville

frenchcottageaussies
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I need recommendations for a disease-free (no spray) climbing rose with great repeat-flowering to be planted in full sun, clay soil, against a house wall. Exceptional health, good foliage coverage, and great repeat, and flowers that last well are most important to me as these will be trained against the front of the house.

I currently have the white Desdemona roses seen in the photo below in front of the house. I moved the Boscobel that were in front of the windows to a different location since I was struggling to keep them short enough. We are removing the junipers on the corners since they get cedar apple rust each year, so the large climbing roses would be the focal point to cover the corners of the house and should grow to a good size.

I've been looking at the following roses but have seen mixed feedback online, so I am looking for more site-specific recommendations from first-hand experience, not hearsay.

• Iceberg - supposed to not perform well in humid weather?
  • Aloha (David Austin, not Kordes or other varieties)
  • The Generous Gardener - some say it doesn't repeat flower?
  • Wollerton Old Hall
  • Madame Alfred Carriere - not supposed to repeat well?
  • Mortimer Sackler
  • Claire Austin - I've had this one before on another property and it was very thorny and didn't repeat flower for me, but read others had good repeat

I am currently leaning toward Wollerton Old Hall or Mortimer Sackler. Which one reblooms best and gets large enough to make an impact?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths