SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

What do you/ don't you like spending time on?

lucillle
2 years ago

This came up on the French Press thread, where one person thought the French Press involved entirely too much time. Which it did, for her. This presents the question of what it is, exactly, that you like spending time on.

Me: Cooking. My family. My pets. Reading and trying to understand and make sense of what is going on in the world. Listening or reading about interesting people.

I don't like spending much time on cleaning dust bunnies, following most celebrities, worrying about what might have been had I made different choices, and relationships of whatever kind that are over.

How about you?

Comments (31)

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    2 years ago

Cooking and, especially, cooking for my family. I LOVE it. I wish I could eat more because I love cooking so much.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Gardening.....yes, even in January (assuming I understand the ?) :-)

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    2 years ago

Yes, gardening, too. Though right now I'm stalled since there is nothing I can do outside due to the snow.

• LynnNM
    2 years ago

At this time of year: cooking, reorganizing my closets and cabs, reading, catching up with my sisters, daughter, DIL, and girl friends; playing Gin or Mexican Dominoes with my hubs in the evenings.
    What don’t I like to do? At the moment, packing away our Christmas decs!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

I love gardening, house decor, furniture design, fashion, landscaping, learning about old houses, riding scooters, skin care, working on houses. I'd love to learn more on how to cook simple tasty stuff.....want to open a farm someday, and I don't know how, another topic I'd love to learn.

• Kathsgrdn
    2 years ago

Reading books and learning new things, gardening, spending time with my kids and friends. Used to like to go hiking but that is getting harder to do. I probably need to just take shorter hikes now. I like to travel also but that's not going to happen for a while.

I don't like to clean but am spending my short breaks now from work doing little things, like keeping the dishes washed and put away, wiping down counters, sweeping, etc...I do like a clean house just not doing it. I get back and neck aches from sitting so long for work. It's really rough on the long holiday and weekend days so it's really nice to be home where I can do short tasks here and there and not sitting so much.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Reading, writing, learning new skills, like painting currently, are things I enjoy, along with the arts. Travel is always a favorite, and I used to love entertaining. Playing tennis, and piano are great too.

Cooking and baking, not high on my list, though eating is, so cook I must these days. Not much for gardening, either.

NB Obviously, I like hanging out here!

• Lars
    2 years ago

Dolce far niente.

But seriously, cooking and baking are high on my list of what I like to do, along with anything creative.

I do not like the physical work of gardening, but I do like the results.

I enjoy designing and making clothes, and I spend 30 years of my professional life designing furniture, which I still enjoy doing. I prefer designing clothes, but I did not like the people in the fashion industry, which is why I switched to furniture.

I like visiting places and countries that I've never been to before, although I do not like the process of getting there.

I would enjoy playing tennis again if I had a tennis partner.

I love swimming and being in the ocean.

• Judy Good
    2 years ago

Likes are sewing, cooking, baking, playing cards and games. What I do not like is cleaning, laundry or shopping.

• lily316
    2 years ago

I love my daily almost four-mile hike on the Appalachian trail, love taking care of my five pets, three cats, and two elderly dogs, like decorating my 184-year-old farmhouse, love taking care of dozens of indoor plants and then my outside flowers in the summer. Love reading and just picked up four more books tonight at the library, and I like certain TV shows like Survivor and Amazing Race which is on tonight.

I don't like dusting all the stuff I have accumulated over the years, don't like cooking that much but do it every night, hate vacuuming and don't like yard work when it's almost 100 degrees!

• nicole___
    2 years ago

I like listening to Howard Stern interviews on SIrius XM. Drinking tea. Watching movies/Sci-FI. Yoga. Running. Hiking. Kittens. Gardening, sewing, cooking. Thrifting. Decorating. AD(Architectual Digest) online house tours. Photography. Upholstery. The stock market. Puzzles.

Cleaning house, laundry, mending, changing the sheets on the bed, cleaning the cat boxes, shoveling snow..,,,don't really like these chores.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Gardening is my favorite. I like almost all aspects except for weeding, and even that can get a little zen at times. The physical aspects, planting, trimming, nurturing, and harvesting are all things I like. And I appreciate a rest break from most of it in the winter. Basically I enjoy being outside, and will go for a hike or walk to avoid doing anything inside.

• wildchild2x2
    2 years ago

Family and pets are a given. For me I like reading, doing crosswords and math and logic problems, baking, cooking when I can step outside the everyday stuff, the beach and road trips. I love delving into various things that come along that grab my interest, even if they aren't relevant to my life, and learning about them. The majority of my time goes into horses right now. If I'm not riding them, I am around them, reading about them, or devouring information about how to be a better horseman. It's going to get better. I got some great news today that may expand my horizons even beyond the reining I'll be starting. I got into this late, so I'm making up for lost time. If things ever get back to normal I hope to skate again. Just recreationally but I do miss it even though my vestibular issues limit what I can do now.

Things I dislike would be clothes and grocery shopping, sitting around making small talk and being around large groups of people.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Time with people. The rest of life's chores are that, chores one does to enhance time with others.

• happy2b…gw
    2 years ago

I enjoy being with the family, going shopping with my granddaughters, being available to help my daughters with their family, and giving the grandkids feedback on their writing assignments. I enjoy reading but do not like that I have been having trouble starting another after I finish one. I like a clean car but do not enjoy cleaning it.

I really dislike packing for a trip. It makes me anxious.

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

Playing golf, cooking, reading, spending time with my husband (my bff and favorite person on the planet), and traveling, which usually involves golf and my husband, so a win-win. Golf is actually a good excuse to visit other places and experience their version of the great outdoors. I've played in 25 US states so far, with the 26th on the calendar for this summer, and 2 other countries (not Canada yet, my Canadian KT friends, though I do have a couple of places on my wish list for someday).

What do I dislike doing? Housework. And, if I'm being honest, exercise for the sake of exercise. I do go to the gym at least a few times per week because I know I need to keep moving if I want to age well, but I can't say that I've ever loved it and if it wasn't for my music (different playlists for different machines), I don't know how I would drag myself there. During golf season, we usually walk the course, which is much more fun, but until I retire and head south, that's limited.

Thank you to Lars, who just made me look up dolce far niente - that may be my new favorite phrase!

• User
    2 years ago

I like golfing, travelling, playing cards, board games, being a lady of leisure, walking, singing (unfortunately for my husband) and being with friends and family.

I don’t enjoy gardening but I enjoy gardens and the great outdoors year round.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

I love reading, baking, (and cooking, to some degree). Love painting (oils), several crafts, including woodworking and sculpting with Paper Clay, putting up a Christmas tree. Love most aspects of gardening. Love snuggling into a bed freshly made up with sheets that were line dried on a cool, windy day.

Don't like cleaning up the messes I make baking or cooking. Strong dislike for almost all forms of housework. Hate taking down the Christmas tree. Don't like dead heading flowers. Don't like parties or any large social gathering. Don't like professional team sports.

Rusty

• jane__ny
    2 years ago

Since losing my husband of 50 yrs, I have lost interest in cooking, cleaning, frankly doing anything. My husband loved food and I always enjoyed cooking for him Would try different recipes and he loved everything. Now, its just me and I'm not a big eater and don't feel the desire or energy to cook anymore. Have been living on take out or a few fried eggs!

I have grown orchids for many years and now living in Florida, they live outside. I have terribly neglected them this past year, but they surprise me with sudden blooms I see across the yard and that gives me hope and a smile.

Gardening has always been therapy for me. Living most of my life in NY, I had large gardens, flowers I always started in the dead of winter under lights inside. It made me feel hopeful that Spring was coming. It was my therapy for the gloomy days of the long winters.

In Florida, the heat, humidity and sun is brutal. Most of the plants I loved to grow just die here. The soil is so sandy and holds little water. But, orchids love the heat and sun. And they remind me to snap out of my sadness by sending up beautiful flowers, scenting the air with their perfume, and making me feel happy, despite my neglect.

Jane

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago

dislike: ten to 15 minute easy tasks that always explode in your face and take hours to complete.

• salonva
    2 years ago

I so wish I enjoyed cooking. Since DH retired years before me, he does 90% of the cooking. I was an ok cook, but it was more of a chore. I am delighted for him to cook for me and I eat everything happily.:) I do like to bake, but really only simple recipes.

I am one who enjoys cleaning. Well, maybe not all aspects of it, but I do enjoy it.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 years ago

Organization! I love making lists, and checking off each thing. I have multiple notebooks. A gardening binder. House projects. Craft projects. Meal planning, which I do plan out a month or three in advance. You name it, I have a notebook, list, or both for it.

It's how I can paint the whole house inside and out. Or create the flower beds wrapping around it. I lose weight by sticking to what I plan out. Don't stick to it, and I gain. I might wash both cars, scrub the interior down, vacuum them out, check the oil, coolant, tire pressure, etc, or I might find the perfect chandelier for the master bedroom (this was the opposite of a 15 minute project that goes wrong. It sat in the box for 2 months, filling me with dread that I'd drop it, and it took us 15 minutes to put it up) and hang it.

Notebooks and organizing are what I can control in this chaotic world.

Still enjoying it, wish I'd done it sooner.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

Just saw HD had similar lights on clearance for $73.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 years ago

See? For just a little bit of time and very little money, you can have a pretty ceiling too! Just turn off the electricity, a couple of screws, some wire capping, and BOOM, you have bling.

• Adella Bedella
    2 years ago

We're in a transitional stage right now. One thing that is really getting on my nerves is the expectation to cook and clean and general upkeep of the house. It's time for me to be able to do something and relax afterwards.

What I like to do is new things. I'd like to get a new house or remodel this one. I'm ready for change.

• cooper8828
    2 years ago

Gardening. I love gardening when the weather is nice. I'll be outside today working on a few things. I hate gardening when it is brutally hot.

• samkarenorkaren
    2 years ago

I love spending time reading and painting.

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Here's a love/hate pair: I love making molasses cut-out cookies; I hate decorating them. Frosting is too fiddly and adds nothing to the flavor, so my cookies stay naked.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

At this very moment i hate cleaning the basement.

• amylou321
    2 years ago

I like cooking and gardening. I like both the planning and shopping phases of both those things. I like learning new recipes and finding new, beautiful plants to try to grow. I like watching a lot of TV too. A lot of people find that to be a waste of time, but I disagree. TV and YouTube taught me HOW to cook and how to garden. I also find it the best way to relax and tune out the stress of life, when I have any, which is rare. I like coming to the KT and Cooking forum. I like planning, shopping for, and executing my Holiday decorations, though I am not a fan of taking them down...

At the present moment, I would rather not waste one more second of my precious, finite life doing these RIDICULOUS and STUPID waste of time courses/tests my employer keeps sending to me to do. They sent me 7 at once, I logged on and did them all, swearing all the way, as again, I find them STUPID. I am the type of person who likes to rip the band aid off, so to speak, and get stupid yet mandatory wastes of time over with. Once I got done with those 7, they promptly sent me11 more to complete. ELEVEN MORE!!! I mean, I am a full grown adult of average intelligence, I do not need a formal course and test to know that if I see someone bleeding profusely, its best not to go roll around in it, or go grab a handful of their blood and rub it into my eyes. None of these courses apply to me. I do not work with chemicals, electricity, in confined or elevated places, use tools, need any sort of PPE and am not certified in CPR. I also do not need a course to tell me that if a fire breaks out, I should probably leave the area and let the properly trained people to put it out. I do not accept or deal with chemical shipments so I do not NEED to sit through a 2 hour long video about how to read the SDS sheet or placards. I don't deal with them, WHY SHOULD I CARE!?!?!? I really really hate them and if I EVER find out who is behind them they will get an EARFUL from me. MY supervisor knows who they are but will not tell me. I suppose he knows that they are the type who do not like to be told the truth. And they are the type of people who have no life, no love, no light and so they must sit around and come up with useless garbage for normal people to have to do in order to waste their life and make them miserable like they are.

Oh, I also like to read floofly historical romance novels and play those adventure/hidden object/mystery games on my kindle. I prefer ones with fairy tale or fantasy themes.

And I do not like doing car stuff. I leave that to the resident man, he likes it.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm