FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
straightup

Entertainment unit built-in with fireplace

Tee
18 days ago
last modified: 18 days ago

I am looking for ideas for built-in Tv unit with electric fireplace. I have tried looking at pinterest and houzz but not sure what would look best without making the room too crowded. Thank you

Edited

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    18 days ago

Really and we need a crystal ball to begin guessing what your style is , where it is needed and any other info like size of TV. Do you actully need a FP for heat?

• Tee
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Yeh we need a fireplace because this area is always cold. Currently we have a 45” tv.

• Tee
    Original Author
    18 days ago

I like something like this but not sure if this would make the room look more crammed up

• Tee
    Original Author
    18 days ago

I have also found these but not sure how I would incorporate fireplace in this. can anyone suggest how I can do that.

• K L
    18 days ago

​Tee, I forgot if you told me already in your many posts… You said this room is cold…didn't you put radiant heating under your floors before you had them installed? I really hope so, but maybe that's not common where you are, because, until recently, the weather there has been fairly mild.

Patricia, Tee has many posts and idea books that indicate her style is modern "natural glam". She has stunning high gloss white floors currently covered for protection. She is rebuilding after a fire that took all her furniture too, so she has a blank slate and a vision, but it's difficult.

• K L
    17 days ago

Tee, I like the photos you posted. I don't think you need to worry about the space looking too cluttered because of shelving around the tv/fireplace area. I am a little confused though, because I thought a fireplace would need a flue and couldn't be just placed there like a tv. Is the flue already in place and I just don't see it? Also, I'm struggling with the relationship between your living room and family room. You had a floorplan posted somewhere, maybe in your post about the kitchen? Maybe it would help if you posted it here and there, and also a picture of your floor tile, for the PROs that get on your posts.

• K L
    17 days ago

I found it! Your floor plan is posted in your kitchen post. Now I understand better how the two rooms relate. Also, Patricia posted there too, but I see her posting a lot, so maybe she didn't remember. 
    Regarding your tv in the family room. A tv is a big black thing which can look like it is suspended in mid air, so I have favored backing it with a dark wall as in one of your photos, since you won't be putting a piece of furniture under it to visually support it. Also having a fireplace under it will prevent the latter option. Will you put the black porcelain around it like in the living room or a less expensive type of black porcelain tile like in the bathroom picture I sent you? I suppose the black grasscloth like in your photo is out because of the desired fireplace.

• Tee
    Original Author
    16 days ago

We wanted radiant heating wasn’t possible for us so we couldn’t get it. This fireplace is electrical so it’s not as complicated to install as gas fireplace.

Below are few more pictures to help you understand. All the cabinets will be white and island cabinets will be shade of brown. On the other side of the kitchen is our living room and formal dinning.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    16 days ago

Here are some examples of the FP with TV. Not sure built ins are required

• Stacey
    16 days ago

They also sell a tv stand with a fireplace in it. If in the future, you change your decor. They are able to accommodate large TV sets too.

• Tee
    Original Author
    16 days ago

One of the picture shows our porcelain tile flooring which goes all the way to family room. 2nd pic shows our fireplace in the formal living room

• Jean
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Tee? Have you definitely ruled out a gas fireplace? Asking because we have a gas one in our living room, and an electric one on the screen porch/3 season room. The electric one is very pretty, but gives off barely any heat...only as much as a blow dryer. The gas one is the exact opposite, it heats up the whole living room in a flash. DH and I were just discussing that we wished we had gone to the trouble of putting gas on the porch instead of the electric. The electric one we have is Dimplex df3033st. You had said the room was cold...

• Tee
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Hi Jean, unfortunately gas fireplace is not an option a) we have already purchased electric fireplace b) we have gas fireplace in the living room so that’s why we are using electric fireplace in family room. We couldn’t put gas fireplace in the family room due to cost and few other issues with the house and we wanted to keep things as simple as possible as this construction had already taken a toll on us

• kandrewspa
    16 days ago

One thing I would suggest is to make sure to make room for a larger TV than what you currently have as what you have is on the small side. It might be adequate for you, but you might want something bigger in the future or the next owner of the home might want something larger. The larger ones are now pretty reasonably priced.

• Tee
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thats a good point even though we have a small tv i dont want to be stuck with the same size forever so whatever design i am choosing i am keeping the tv area on the larger size.

• judianna20
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

As Patricia Colwell says, you don't need a "built-in" for an electric fireplace.

I have an electric fireplace, as it was the only choice I had, and I HATE it. It was super expensive, but it is what it is...electric. If I could say a fireplace feels cold and lifeless, then I will.

Don't waste your money. Spend your time and money coming up with a spectacular entertainment wall and then get on of those apps where the t v looks like a fire.

Trust me...there is no difference.

https://www.howtogeek.com/703223/how-to-turn-your-tv-into-a-virtual-fireplace/

• K L
    16 days ago

Tee, I hope you'll forgive a distraction... What prevents installation of radiant heating? I'm worried, because I hope to install it as we get new flooring. I put it in my driveway and am very happy with it. I want to put it in underneath any tile I install in the house, though I don't think in the showers...wouldn't that be nice though...but we have all electric and not gas, so the heating is wires, not tubes of warm liquid.

• Tee
    Original Author
    16 days ago

I think the best person would be your Heating & Plumbing guys they will be able to answer all your questions. As for us, our city didn’t allow for full demolish of the house and only approved of rebuild of burned part of the house. Our house was 12 years old and flooring wasn’t strong enough to hold all that concrete. We had to remove all the flooring and redo everything which we couldn’t afford. My sis was living in a house with radiant heat and she loves it. You definitely find a huge difference when you step on warm floors instead of cold in winter.

• K L
    15 days ago

Thanks for the encouragement. Sorry the city wouldn't let you do it. I do know concrete isn't needed though. Electric wire mats can be laid under the top flooring. Just a thought if you want it in the future.

• Tee
    Original Author
    6 days ago

I will be doing this design with the fireplace in the middle and with few more shelves on the left side. Instead of tiles I will use the same material as the cabinet behind the TV to cut the cost down.

Lets see how it turns out