SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_29405466

How did you compare builders? What drove your decision?

2rickies
2 years ago

What to you, is the most important consideration when choosing a builder? As I talk with builders and try to make a decision, of course I'm considering the quality of their work first. Then I'm comparing their job management structure. And, I'm trying to educate myself about the contract types--cost-plus, fixed price, and variations on those themes.

Our architect favors fixed price, says all the projects he does, even now, are under that type of contract, so I went into this assuming that fixed price was what we wanted, but I'm not sure now. The smallest local builders use cost-plus and always have. The slightly larger builders offer more flexibility, but have (understandably) added materials escalation clauses to their contracts, essentially changing a fixed contract into a cost-plus. I'm wary of cost-plus because even though it's more transparent, it feels so open-ended. I've been thinking that cost plus with a guaranteed maximum, where if we come under we split the difference with the builder, might be the way to go. But I wonder if that will be hard to get in the current market.

That brings me to two builders I'm attempting to compare. Both of these builders come highly recommended. One usually has two houses in progress at once and acts as the manager, in that he is on the building site every day, supervising/checking in on the work. He has none of his own employees, but a regular crew with a foreman and trades he's used for many years for every job. He seems very exacting, and his subs seem to do beautiful work. We saw two finished houses and one in progress, and the work was impressive and precise. Does it matter that they're not his full-time employees? I can't help wondering what happens if he gets sick in the middle of our project? He uses a cost-plus contract.

Then there is a slightly larger builder who has 5 foreman working for him, and one of them is assigned to the job. He has his own lead carpenter and helper who float among the jobs. He subs out framing and everything else. He acts as a project manager, and he has one employee who is also a project manager, so they split up the projects between them. They check in at their job sites once or twice a week, but since there's an assigned foreman there is always a supervisor on site. I've seen only a little of his work, since we can't go into houses that easily during covid. Have not seen inside a full house project, only a pool house and party barn. It was all fine, but it was not as impressive as what the other builder showed us, perhaps unfair comparison. I know that he does custom homes for very fancy architects, we just didn't get to see that work, other than photos. He is open to any type of contract, but he includes a materials escalation clause which as I said i realize may be the norm now, but, to me, makes it no longer a fixed price contract.

Based on the work I've seen by these two and one other builder so far, I'd choose the first one, above, in a heartbeat. I know nothing is perfect, but I wonder if the lack of f/t employees, especially, is a deal-killer?

What have you found to be most important in your choice of builder? What were the most useful questions you asked builders and their references?

Comments (21)