SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andi_k

How did you determine contract price with builder?

andi_k
13 years ago

We are finishing up our plans with the architect now. But, we haven't worked on interior details for kitchen, flooring, etc. While we have a fairly good idea of what we want for the interior, we still have work to do for that. We've talked to several builders in the area and they all ask the same thing 'what's your budget?' The concept of me providing my plans with a 'number' annoys me a bit. Three builders have said they'll review the plans, check out our land, and knowing our budget, they'll let me know what the allowance is for everything (kitchen, floors, lighting, etc). Why does that seem shady to me?

While our budget isn't unlimited, it's fairly good for our area and if I tell them what we are willing to spend, what incentive do they have to come back and tell me anything buy laminate and brass knobs? :) At the same time, I completely understand there are so many variables to construction that they need to protect themselves from losing money.

We do have a builder we really prefer to work with and he's very willing to work with us on a lot of things. But, I still think that me giving him the price of what we'll spend is in his best interest, not ours.

How did you figure out what the price would be? Did you first pick out all the details (flooring, kitchen, etc) and get the price that way? The only reason I prefer not to do that is because we were hoping to break ground soon, but it takes me forever to make decisions and if I have to pick out everything first, who knows when we'll move in!

Comments (11)