SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinktoes_gw

How much over on a fixed price contract?

pinktoes
16 years ago

We are doing a negotiated contract with our builder. We are working to identify and reduce all the costs to what we can--possibly, barely--afford. Then we will sign a contract for a fixed price build. As with all such contracts, there will be certain exceptions: excavation and foundation costs I'm sure will be an "exception" to the fixed price. There's no way to know what's under the soil and if we hit bedrock, WE pay the additional cost. I don't know what other items builders usually build in exception clauses for.

We have to demo an existing house and pool and bring in some dirt, do some grading and build retaining walls. A topo survey is underway now to see where we can best site the house.

We will have all the owner selections done--finishes, fixtures, etc--before we sign the contract. Found all that stuff and got the prices. So, unlike most folks, we will not be upgrading anything in that category.

So, after the week of facing down our budget, I find we will have 2.5% in savings identified for overages. Don't laugh--there's some more. If I throw in most of our IRA savings, which we will be age-eligible to take, we could have 12.5% of the construction cost available for overages.

I have two questions, then:

1. Will 12.5% (about $65K) be enough for the unexpected?

2) At what point in the build will most of the unexpected danger be over? What else could we run into that would be expensive after the foundation is finished?

Comments (13)