SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_710621259

would window grills be a mistake with great views?

Pisces House
2 years ago

We’re in the beginning design stages of our forever home. We have beautiful waterfront views from the back of our house. I know the predominant line of thinking is to avoid window grilles if you have great views. My problem is that the first drawings we’ve received from our architect feel too midcentury modern to me - including big grille-less windows. I grew up in the 60s and it’s not my favorite era, stylistically. We are building in the Florida panhandle, where there is a sort of “cracker cottage” style that feels right in the landscape there. I’m trying to think of elements that we can bring in that will soften the feel of the house. Things like board and batten, jalousie shutters, metal roof (which we are doing), and divided windows. Would window grilles be a huge mistake? My feeling is that black ones tend to disappear, visually, more than white.
We do like a lot about the initial drawings - the layout, the orientation of the house - and the single-slope roof. But big “picture windows” put me right back to 1964… I was thinking something like the industrial looking ones in this photo.
Would appreciate any thoughts! TIA!

Comments (41)