SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

Kitchen window(s) with bad views

ncamy
14 years ago

Would it be better to have less natural light and only one window with a bad view or to have more light and more bad view?

We will be building on a small narrow infill lot in town. The view out our kitchen window will be of the neighbor's ac and garbage cans which will all be located within about 18 feet of our house. Our "yard" will be about 9-10 feet on the side where our kitchen is. So there really isn't too much we can do to beautify it since there's not enough room to plant much in that space. The neighbor's house is lovely and kept very neat. It's just unfortunate that her mechanics are located there.

Originally we were only going to have one window overlooking this. However after much debate we decided we should increase the light in the kitchen and have either two much larger windows or a bank of three windows. We feel the extra windows are needed since we are using medium stained woodwork and cabinetry.

What should I do about the view? If I put up some sort of shade or curtain then I'm losing the benefits of the extra light. I'd considered opaque or art glass but I don't want to be too closed off. Maybe glass shelves running across the windows to create sort of a greenhouse look??? Does anyone have any suggestions or better yet pictures of how others dealt with bad views. Thanks.

Comments (22)