SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Your new year goals & health news and recipes

strawchicago z5
2 years ago
last modified: last year

For 2023, my garden goals are: 1) dig deep for drainage, then dump a 2 gallon bucket of water to ensure fast drainage. 2) Top roses with dense & alkaline clay with trace elements plus calcium to offset high acidic rain

My health goals for the new year at 61-year-old: 1) 15-min. walk per day, plus 1/2 hour in garden or 1/2 hr. cleaning house. 2) Eat more fiber and less meat & sugar.

Lots of neighbors and friends got cancer .. below Harvard Health news is worth reading:

"The first diet contained about 14 ounces of red meat a day, always prepared to minimize HCA formation. The second diet was strictly vegetarian, and the third contained large amounts of both red meat and dietary fiber.

Stool specimens from the 21 volunteers who consumed the high-meat diet contained high levels of N-nitroso compounds (NOCs), which are potentially cancer-causing chemicals. The 12 volunteers who ate vegetarian food excreted low levels of NOCs, and the 13 who ate meat and high-fiber diets produced intermediate amounts."

Petal-count goes down when there's less calcium. Petal-count also goes down with high temp. and lack of water. The solution is DENSE & moisture retentive soil on top plus yearly topping with calcium and trace elements (as in manure). Both calcium and potassium leach down to below.

Below bouquets have adequate calcium (topped with horse manure) plus gypsum breaking up my hard clay months prior to planting. I work calcium into soil in the winter. Note the many petals on Lagerfeld (light lavender on left). Middle is Lavender Crush, and right is Aloha:

Left light pink is James Galway. Middle apricot is Carding Mill, lowest purplish are Young Lycidas, and Duchess de Rohan are dark pinks on right. Yellow is Crown Princess Mag:

Below is ruffles on Pink Peace with adequate calcium in planting hole:

Comments (237)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012