SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_503139445

Wallpaper? New paint color? Help me figure out my fireplace wall!

Joanie
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've been stuck on this for months - I like the idea of leaving the room mostly light/white, as we have nice southern exposure, but the walls beside the fireplace - particularly the one behind our custom record player table - just aren't working. It's a basement unit so the windows are covered in film, so the window always looks blah too.

Any recommendations on how to approach this? Should I wallpaper the two walls surrounding the fireplace? Or use a different paint color and give up on the all-white walls?

(Also, I wish I could not have the TV over the fireplace, but there's really no other place for it to go. I'm hoping it dies soon so i can get a Frame TV instead.)

Photos included (pardon the toddler/life mess, these were taken in the middle of the day on holiday break). I also put up an inspiration board that includes some of my furniture and style/paint colors.

More pics:

Comments (30)

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

I'd start by removing the art over the stereo unit: there really isn't room for it there. The pieces on either side of the fireplace look to be hung a bit low so I'd raise them.  I realize some of the things on the window sill and cabinet are probably Christmas decor, but it looks a bit cluttered, so once the season is over, I'd remove most of that as well.

Joanie thanked jmm1837
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    2 years ago

I feel like that fireplace material is a disconnect. I'd be inclined to use large format tile for that fireplace and then do built-ins. If you do that, you could also lower the mantle and the TV at the same time.

FORMA Design · More Info

Or you could do this without the floating shelves:

Laurel - Contemporary Fireplace · More Info

Venice, CA House · More Info

• Related Discussions

Can anyone help me figure out these paint colors?

Q

Comments (11)
    sujafr - Thank you SO much for posting the pictures! prill - I can't remember where I got the photos from. (I had them saved in a Word document.) :( prill & lukkiirish - OMG! Yes! The photo with the couch IS Restoration Hardware's Cappuchino! THANK YOU!!! I did a search for that color and lo and behold, the exact same photo came up! Hooray!! Thank you so much!! As for the blue color, the Silver Sage line is very close, but the colors seems to be a touch more silver/green than what I'm looking for. Hmmmm.... *** time passes *** Okay, I just spent way too much time on the Benjamin Moore website. What do you think about Gray Sky?? Could it be the one I'm looking for?
    ...See More

help me figure out what color to paint this bedroom.

Q

Comments (3)
    I think a soft silvery gray like the bedding would be beautiful! Charcoal would be nice too but I would not go as dark as the brown you have now. Then, I think a rug and some artwork would soften and cozy up the room. Here is a link that might be useful: Bedroom
    ...See More

Help me find this wall paper please

Q

Comments (3)
    Dutch brand NLXL. http://usa.nlxl.com/collections/archives-wallpaper-by-studio-job  $300 per roll! I think it's Alt Deutsch
    ...See More

new color for the walls..... paint, wallpaper....

Q

Comments (34)
    When I ordered my last area rug I found the carpet I wanted, did a google image search, found it was for sale by a dozen different stores under at least 1/2 a dozen different names and as many prices. I ordered it from Bed Bath and Beyond so that I could return it locally and would not have to pay for return shipping. It got here - I liked it. I ordered it from the least expensive seller and took the other one back to BBB. I did call BBB first and let them know that I had ordered a carpet from them and was planning on returning it because it was less elsewhere, but they would not match the price, so I had to return it.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

honestly, with the amount of stuff going on in this room I think the room would go on overload with the wallpaper. have you tried the furniture any other way? could you put chairs over by the french doors and float the sofa, then allowing you to move the tv to the door wall and put the record player under it?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

You have great taste and really nice pieces, if you could divide the space up a bit and allow the kid zone to have its own space that would help you a lot, and if you are not putting a dining table where that fan is I say remove that fan. OHH and please go get new recessed lighting trim kits for those eyeballs over the FP they can be much less bulky now.

• Joanie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Sabrina Alfin Interiors Great suggestion! I'm not at a point where I can change the face of the fireplace right now, but I agree totally - I painted the river rock white after we moved in, but river rock would not have been my choice.

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

I think there is too much happening in this space already and that either side of the fireplace cannot handle anymore "decor" such as wallpaper or other accents. This seems like a case of less is more.

To the left of the fireplace, remove the artwork and photos. The curtains are throwing things off too. The arm chair is pretty but looks very cramped over there. Can you pull it into the center of the room a bit more?

The right side of the fireplace is hard to see now because of the tree, but it looks like a nice appropriately sized piece of furniture. I would get a larger picture to hang above that takes up more space.

• Joanie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Kendrah Thank you! I have tried stripping away but it ends up looking boring and bare. What would you recommend for the curtains?

• jck910
    2 years ago

I don't think you need any window treatment on the window to the left of the FP. I think being short and recessed is enough. Cannot see the other window

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Have you considered moving the record player setup to the sofa wall with the TV hung above it? Then put the blue chest in place of the record player. Float the sofa perp to the fireplace, facing the view. Use a pair of comfy swivel chairs with their backs to the view. Make sure all seats are within 12-18" from the coffee table. Then, get a much larger rug that all seats can be entirely on, and that comes to 15-18" from the hearth. Tape it out on the floor with blue painters' tape and go up one size if the measurement isn't a standard rug size. Use the lavender chair in the master as a slipper chair. Move your plants (and add more) to either side of the fireplace and add uplights underneath them for lighting and playful leaf shadows on the ceiling. Paint the river rock a satin black or charcoal and hang your white piece of art above a new mantel. If it is too wide, I think it could hang vertically unless there is more of a direction to it than I can see. No to the Chinoiserie style lamp in favor of a brass floor lamp in the corner right of the window/door wall. I can't tell much about the two brass and white globe lights you have. Are they floor lamps? Will they work either side of the FP? Can they be made higher? Can you set one of them out and photo it?

Maklaine 19" Modern Fabric Barrel Back Swivel Lounge Chair in Black · More Info

IE27BK Black Hand Tufted Wool Gold Ikat Rug , 7'9x9'9 · More Info

Joanie thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Joanie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@decoenthusiaste these are amazing suggestions! I hadn't thought about moving the furniture around in that way; whenever I see pics of basic condos online the sofas are usually on the wall where I have it.

I had wanted to keep the color scheme white and gray blue, if I were going to do that, do you have any suggestions for fireplace or wall colors?

They are table lamps:

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Hi. Someone already mentioned the vinyl record storage under the window - because of that feature, and others, it seems too 'busy' a wall for accenting.

Your room has a casual feel -- a photo:

My Houzz: Creativity Flows in a New Hampshire Cottage · More Info

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

A few more thoughts... Have you thought of painting the FP wall (over to the bump-out at the kitchen) in the color of the blue chest?You get enough light to handle the darker color. Depends on how much th FP would pop (and show its irregularities) with the contrasting color. Or maybe just paint the two walls adjacent to it (up to the little windows) leaving the entire chimney breast and wall with it in the white to minimize the stone and offset. Since those two little windows appear to be frosted and maybe pretty useless, just closing the curtains all the time for now and put the blue chest in front of them. Consider installing plantation shutters on them when budget allows. Maybe the two table lamps could both go on your record player table, or on the mantel or one on the table and the other on the blue chest. After you remove the holiday decor, try moving relocating your furniture this way and see how you like it. Here is more of a gray/navy chair with brass nail trim.

Avalor Navy Linen Chair · More Info

• njmomma
    2 years ago

I love your mood board! but....I would eliminate the wallpaper, as mentioned earlier, it would make this a very busy room.

Honestly, the room and some of the pieces you already have are great. I see a beige on your walls. I personally, go a shade of beige that would bring out that beautiful fireplace. Maybe Agreeable Gray Paint Color would work for this room. Keeping it light and airy, but not boring, because your other furniture pieces bring in such great interest. It would also let your the blue that you bring it to the room stand out. The tv needs to be moved. Art or vignette above the fireplace.

I would love to see the coffee table you have now, you may be able to work that into your room, with that great sofa on your mood board. Love the pops of blue on your mood board too! Keeping your blue console will make it all work together.

Can you post more of your living room space?

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

nj - the coffee table she has now is the one shown on the mood board (a Houzz offering, also in two lift-top versions of lighter material.) OP changed out the photos; there were more of them yesterday. She's leaning toward blue-gray, so I suggested matching the color of the blue cabinet for all or part of the FP wall. Not sure I'd do the wall directly behind the chimney breast in color due to the irregular design of the stonework that would call attention to the lop-sided design. I think she needs a new rug once additional seating comes in. Any ideas?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

Re arranging the room is exactly what I said in my first comment, and it would make so much sense as to a division of space.

• Joanie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for your ideas! Here are a few more photos of the space, to give you a better idea of the room. It is truly messy now, I'm only able to achieve calm after the little guy is asleep lol.

It is a typical open layout standard condo:

• Joanie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@decoenthusiaste I tried moving the couch to face the patio doors, but it just looked like it majorly blocked the living room space, and I prefer to watch TV head-on. I do like the idea of the record player table with TV above it! But still really struggling with that wall between the fireplace and kitchen...

• okibujp
    2 years ago

Joanie, you asked if wallpaper or paint? I say paint. I would choose a beautiful dramatic color to make the white stone fireplace pop.

• njmomma
    2 years ago

hahaha this is only one little guy :-)

I know you didn't ask, and I know some people may not like that I am giving advice, but children get overwhelmed by so many things. If there is anyway you can put most of it away....Do so. Change out the toys every month or weekly. I was an every month mom. It was like Christmas every month. New things to play with. Then gradually, pass them on to someone in need. The next child will enjoy new toys, then do the same.

To be honest, my children played with my tupperware, pots, boxes, the most lol

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

just trying things.

• Joanie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@RL Relocation LLC that picture is super helpful! Thank you! What program did you use to make that?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I know, you didn't ask about other parts of the room. The photos showing blue paint are nice, but I'd photoshop various transitional rugs. Seems a foundation would be better than wall changes. Soft blue imo is a tad delicate with much white. What about a soft teal, or green?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Not a pro, so it takes awhile for me to figure out my thoughts - if you had a medium-color of rug, then walls pale blue or teal might seem better.

If not a 'country house' then wonderful fp would be fine with abstract, imo.

Weave & Wander Arsene Abstract Ikat Rug, Blue/Gray, 7'10"x11' · More Info

Weave & Wander Arsene Abstract Rug, Capri Blue/Yellow, 7'10"x11' · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I changed my mind that a traditional rug - better treated to look faded and aged. What about tough fabric table/ottoman [s] in blue?

Machine Made Traditional Blossom Rug, 9'x12'2" · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

One more. This is a repeat basically of blue chest and amber floor.

Pacific Transitional Pale Blue, Mustard Area Rug, 9'x13' · More Info

• Laura Hill
    2 years ago

Quick question… is the door with the alphabet magnets your main entrance? Or do you come in through the glass doors?

• Joanie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Laura Hill The door with the magnets is the "front door". The glass doors lead out to our patio space.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Joanie, your initial post showed pattern for the wall - so I thought a rug could have it instead...

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

I just use the paint program on my computer but for the rug i use https://www.rugs-direct.com/room-visualizer