SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethnatlga

Question about large pantry functionality

Beth deSousa
2 years ago

Our house has a 12'2" by 5'6" pantry with a 10' ceiling. The entry to the pantry is a single pocket door centered on the long side (despite what is pictured on the floorplan) I. On the opposite long wall is a window out to the front of our house. My husband and I are going back and forth about how to design the cabinetry to be the most functional. We aren't looking to spend thousands on an expensive designer. We just want to tell our builder what we want.

As of now, we plan to have on one end (short side) a 36" butcher block counter top. This would be where we would put our large air fryer/baker/toaster oven. Below, my husband wants pull-out drawers. I am not on board with that yet. Above he wants open shelving. For sure, one thing that will be overhead is a shelve for our microwave (not built in). I am more in favor of cabinets that shut because this is the side people would see as they walk in the kitchen (we expect the pocket door to remain open most of the time).

On the other side, my husband wanted the same set up. His reasoning for a counter top on the side we will store food is that the counter top will be a good landing spot for our grocery bags. We would then put everything away on shelves above the counter top. I think we need shelves down low on that side of the panty. In fact, I envisioned shelves that wrapped around the front inside wall then around the entire short end wall up to the ceiling.

I am interested in any ideas people have designing a pantry this large to make it functional. It will be mostly my husband and I in the house, with frequent visits by our 2 daughters and young grandson. We won't store trash cans in this room. As for the picture, we will have a double oven where the fridge is shown and we will have a prep sink at the end of the island closest to the pantry.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (29)