SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meagan_mcarthur67

Bathroom help needed... It's a doozy!

M m
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello!I have a challenge for anyone willing to take on this atrocious bathroom 🤯

Long story short, this is an addition in an older, 1800s, home. This addition was added in the 1986 and, if you can't tell from the photos, the previous owners *really* love tile. It's all over our house - matching floors and countertops with a different tile for every room.

In this bathroom, we are trying to get rid of the blue trim (which was around 2 door frames, the wood between countertop and cabinet, baseboard molding and the window) and neutralize the space to make it more tolerable.

At this point, we're looking to only paint the walls and any wood trim, replace gold colored hardware and the lights. I would love to rip out the tile or paint the cabinets but we're working on other big projects right now and this one has to be a temporary fix to get us through the next year or so.

Any suggestions?

Since it's hard to tell in photos, here's some information on the colors.

The trim seems to be Benjamin Moore Phillipsburg blue, or something similar.

The cabinets and walls match. They are an off-white, similar to linen but I'm not sure exactly what color.

The tile is off white and the darker tiles are black, but not jet black. Sightly darker (but not by much) than the tile.

As you can see in the photos, I've already started priming away the blue trim on the doors and that weird bit on the cabinet. The next step is to prime the window. It's a very small space and there's a lot of tile.

should I paint the trim and walls the same color as the cabinets so almost everything is the same? I know that's a lot of the same color but I figured it might make the room look a bit bigger and neutralize all the chaos of the tile. I'm hoping that a rug on the floor will help calm things down too.My husband thinks we should do something dark on the walls, with matching trim, to match lessen the contrast between the dark black border tile and the walls but I'm not sure. I thought that might make the room feel very small to have dark on top of that.Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (10)