SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
decorideas2013

Where can we add a powder room to this floor plan?

decorideas2013
2 years ago
last modified: last year

Looking for suggestions! We are finalizing our floor plan. Looking to add a powder room. We have some constraints with the lot and cannot make any major changes to the footprint. We have considered the pantry location as ideal, but would then need to find a pantry solution. The office is oversized and we do have flexibility with interior room and garage dimensions. Also, there are changes to offset the garage and improve the entry for make for a better elevation.

Any suggestions?

Comments (31)

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    2 years ago

I think a much larger and clearer floor plan will be needed before anyone can intelligently reply to your question. If you can't post a large image here, post it on a hosting site and link to it from your query.

decorideas2013 thanked StarCraft Custom Builders
  • barebay57
    2 years ago

If you stack your washer and dryer, you could do a small powder room replacing your laundry sink with a bathroom vanity.

decorideas2013 thanked barebay57
  • Related Discussions

Where can we add a linen closet with this master bath plan?

Q

Comments (9)
    I purchased a vanity to use in our bathroom while we were building. Love love having it in the room. We do not have a linen closet in our bathroom either. An armoire could have gone where the vanity is located. We store the extra towels in the (deep) bottom drawer of our double vanity (it's very long, so center section comes out a bit and is 36") , and bed linens are stored in an armoire in the MBR. I would square up the toilet room and have the door open out, or not have a door at all. Someone on GW several years ago posted about her DH passing out inside a toilet room and they could not get the door open - his body was blocking the door. He lived, but... Towel warmer could go on the outside wall there. Or one wall as you're coming in doorway. Guess you could see from MBR then, but it would at least be close to the shower. Here is a link that might be useful: my vanity - last picture
    ...See More

Liquid Calgon + powder detergent... and can we add Cascade C?

Q

Comments (7)
    OK, I see your plight! Clorox 2 is excellent for removing most stains and boosting the power of your detergent. On your samsung, do you have a sanitize cycle? Does it Pre-wash before the main wash? In most cases it should go into the main wash/no pre wash when using this cycle. Extend this cycle to the max with an extra rinse. Use your Tide He along with Clorox 2 to start the whitening process using the sanitize cycle. You may use LCB since it will be in the first rinse. It Will take up to 3 wash cycles to see improvement. Also if you can get your hands on STPP this will also help getting your whites to where they suppose to be. 2 Tbs. of this stuff with your detergent will make a big difference how detergents suppose to work. Give it a try! The secret for using Clorox 2. Test garment for color fast to start. Pour on stains and rub in gently then pour a little more and roll garment into a ball so Clorox 2 will not dry out and wait 15-30 minutes then wash as normal. Good luck and keep us posted how you doing in this thread. Larry Here is a link that might be useful: STPP can be found at the Chemistry Store.com
    ...See More

taking space from a kitchen and living room to add a powder room

Q

Comments (2)
    Try the kitchen forum ... and be sure to post a floor plan showing the original spaces and your proposed changes.
    ...See More

Can we convert this bonus room to a bedroom (and add a bathroom)?

Q

Comments (12)
    Wow! I love this layout even more. Thanks so much for your help. I don’t think we would have any zoning issues with turning this into a bedroom but still need to sort the septic system to see if that’s possible. We haven’t bought it yet but good to know about the possibilities if we go down that path.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

In the garage space.

Get rid of the barn door.

And tray ceiling.

decorideas2013 thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

Give up the door between master closet and laundry room and switch spaces so pantry is closer to kitchen. Reallocate the garage space to widen the back area on the right side and shorten the space on the left side. The 33 feet depth is unnecessary for vehicles and if the purpose is storage then why not make it part of the house?

decorideas2013 thanked Lyndee Lee
  • cpartist
    2 years ago

Where will the bed go in the master bedroom?

I think you need to maybe reconsider several things as well as adding a powder room.

Anything bolded could use improvement:

The best houses orient the public rooms towards the south for the best passive solar heating and cooling

The best houses are L, U, T, H, or I shaped.

The best houses are only one to two rooms deep. And covered lanai, porches, garages, etc count as rooms in this case.

The best houses make sure kitchens have natural light, meaning windows so one doesn't have to have lighting 24/7 to use the kitchen. (And no, dining areas with windows 10' or more from the kitchen will not allow for natural light.)

The best houses make sure all public rooms and bedrooms have windows on at least two walls.

The best houses do not if possible put mechanical rooms, pantries or closets on outside walls

The best houses keep public and private spaces separate.

The best houses do not have you walk through the work zone of the kitchen to bring laundry to the laundry room.

The best houses do not have the mudroom go through any of the work zones of the kitchen.

The best houses do not use the kitchen as a hallway to any other rooms.

The best houses do not put toilets or toilet rooms up against bedroom walls or dining areas.

The best houses do not have walk in closets too small to stand inside.

The best houses have an organizing “spine” so it’s easy to determine how to get from room to room in the house and what makes sense.

decorideas2013 thanked cpartist
  • chicagoans
    2 years ago

(not a pro) Not what you asked about, but put something between your refrigerator and that side wall (like a narrow broom closet or pull out pantry) so you can open both doors fully and don't end up with this:

decorideas2013 thanked chicagoans
  • dan1888
    2 years ago

And along those lines, single bowl sink. Leave it where it is but move the dw to the other side. Loading it where it is will interfere with someone using the range.

decorideas2013 thanked dan1888
  • 3onthetree
    2 years ago

Tucked down by the Garage, who will the Powder Room serve? Guests will still want to use Bath#2. Pool users will probably still use Bath#2 too (circulation from back yard is towards that area). So just a quicker route from Garage users?

decorideas2013 thanked 3onthetree
  • decorideas2013
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We are empty nesters. The master bath will be accessible from the pool area. I would like the second barh to be for any overnight guests use, and a powder room for any other companies use. We have considered taking some of the office space next to the kitchen to place the powder room. We would be losing the hall closet

• kayozzy
    2 years ago

A powder room is really only necessary if all the other bathrooms are on a different floor. You won't be able to put it in a location any more convenient than where the guest bathroom is, so I would just direct people to that one.

decorideas2013 thanked kayozzy
  • Nidnay
    2 years ago

You have SO much room in the garage….I would use space there in order to add a small powder room and reconfigure the pantry, laundry and hallways in that area to make it all flow. I would NOT steal square footage from the office (12’8” x 9’10” is not what I would consider “oversized” for an office).

decorideas2013 thanked Nidnay
  • Architectrunnerguy
    2 years ago

How did the design get this far (looks like final permit/construction docs) without an entire space you apparently want not there?

decorideas2013 thanked Architectrunnerguy
  • decorideas2013
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No, we are still looking at final changes to the footprint and will then determine the elevation.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    2 years ago

There are lots of issues with this layout, but the simple answer to your question is between the kitchen and office.

decorideas2013 thanked RappArchitecture
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I earlier made a suggestion of where to locate the powder room based upon the below minimum information provided and did not get a reaction, so I thought I would suggest a location that makes no sense to see what happens. I am trying to restrain myself to express how I feel about the rest of the plan but I am trying to be positive.

• homechef59
    2 years ago

How about you don't need one. You already have access to a bathroom in the front hallway. The bath that serves bedrooms 2 and 3 is not cut off from the rest of the house. It's meant to serve the needs of casual guests, too. This is a floorplan that is typical of the over 55 plans being used in senior developments. Most do not feature a powder room. Rather, they make a bathroom do double duty.

decorideas2013 thanked homechef59
  • decorideas2013
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Seems the consensus is to go with a 2 bath versus 2.5. Thank-you.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Not knowing all the details of the project, in a way it would make sense to flip the location of the master bedroom suite with the two bedrooms and bathroom, making the bathroom accessible to the pool via a hallway (not with two doors in the bathroom).

decorideas2013 thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • worthy
    2 years ago

Adding a powder room at this point is like working with an existing home. Nothing is ideal--the not so subtle point of one poster.

Considering all the other basic oversights of the plan, why not start over and give the plan creator the requirements from day one.

decorideas2013 thanked worthy
  • cpartist
    2 years ago

No, we are still looking at final changes to the footprint and will then determine the elevation.

So what you're saying is you had a draftsman (or a person who calls themself a designer but really is only a draftsman) design this house.

I say that because a house is not designed one piece at a time where you play tetris with the interior and then slap on an exterior with no regards to how it even sits on the land. CAD designers, aka draftsmen do that. True designers and architects will consider, interior, exterior and how it sits on the land all at the same time.

BTW: If you live in FL, why does the front door open in? Here in FL doors should open out because of wind.

decorideas2013 thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    2 years ago

I'm one who does think adding a half bath would be a good idea, but not to this plan. To one that actually takes into account all your needs and even your future needs.

We are retired and have guests occasionally. Our condo had 2 full baths and when we had guests, it was sometimes an issue not having a third toilet and sink.

Now with our house, we have that 1/2 bath and it works well. However we designed the house so the half bath not only serves our guests when they visit but also anyone who is using the pool and the lanai. All our downstairs floors are wood except for our friends entry area. That area is tile and is where our powder room is.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

In my experience, a standard criteria for Florida is to design for pool access to a bathroom/changing (plus pool storage or outdoor shower). Most people do not want tracking throughout too much of the house. And that is whether you are empty nesters or not. When starting from a blank slate where you can lay out anything you want within reason, the pool access to the Master Bath should not be an option except for the "Masters." So here is your current layout with some markups regarding the bath access plus some other related things (when designing for 1 thing, all other things must be considered, and that brought them to the forefront):

- General pool access: The circulation is shown in ORANGE (also may go through Great Room). Along with that, there is a long circuitous route from the kitchen to outdoor cooking.

- Master: Pool access is cordoned off (unless it can be visually shielded for only the "Masters" to use). Also, in order to place a proper bed location, the ensuite door should be moved to allow at least a queen (notice the tray ceiling will probably not adhere to the furniture layout you have). Bonus, you get a longer vanity. A separate problem is that to use the toilet you have to scrunch against the rim in order to close the door.

- Laundry: I would suggest with such a short route to the Laundry, that you eliminate the WIC pass-thru door. You reduce too much closet space with it, just to save a couple steps.

- Garage: For a 3car, it may be a little tight in the tandem area. Shown to scale are 2 Toyota Camry's, a Chevy Suburban, and a more realistic air handler size. To keep the same square footage desires, it appears that the Pantry/Storage should be stretched to allow a better tandem space.

Here are two evaluations of adding a Powder Room:

- Office: It works well here, however, the smaller Office size may not be adequate unless you expand the footprint out the front porch. In doing this, I would suggest that Bath#2 be moved to make it more private which places it better for only Bedroom use, but requires expanding the footprint out the front more.

- Pantry: Placing it here has some caveats. Keeping the same square footage desires, you want the Pantry near the Kitchen, and apparently the Laundry near the Master. So that means the Powder would be farther away down a longer hall. You start encroaching the car space too. More rework of the rooms should occur.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

1. I wouldn't add a powder room. Guests can access the secondary bedroom's hall bath.

2. If you feel you must-must-must have a powder room, I'd put it where the current laundry room is. Then steal the garage storage space /enlarge the pantry ... making it a combined pantry /laundry. This would allow the machines to be placed on an exterior wall, which is far superior.

decorideas2013 thanked Mrs Pete
  • homechef59
    2 years ago

This is not a custom home. This is a tract home in an over 55 development.

The three-car garage is in fact a two-car garage with a stacked area for either storage or a golf cart. This is a retirement house designed for two people plus the occasional guest or family visit. Storage will be at a premium. Typically, the owner will have significantly downsized their previous home, or this is a second home.

What the most people do to these types of floor plans is stretch the plan to add additional room to the main bedroom and garage or stretch the other side to provide additional room for the great room or both. Deepening the garage space is also an option along with taking over the third bay for an office or half-bath. Also, they could deepen the covered outdoor area to provide additional outdoor living space.

Once these decisions are made, the new owner will be asked to select from two or three standard elevations. It really depends on the development and the lot limitations as to how much modification can be accomplished.

decorideas2013 thanked homechef59
  • scout
    2 years ago

You could add a full bathoom to bedroom 2. Bump the wall in at the foyer, recenter the door, and add a closet . The bath at bedroom 3 would also become a powder room. The closet for bedroom 3 would become smaller, but neither of the bedroom closets were very practical as drawn..

decorideas2013 thanked scout
  • elcieg
    2 years ago

How many doors in this plan? Yikes...swing in, swing out...each swing taking up what? 3' of floor space?

Rereading homechef59...if this plan is for retirement, there is no need for a third bedroom. And as for an "office", are you just paying your bills and emailing friends and family? I'd combine in that space, both office and powder room.

decorideas2013 thanked elcieg
  • roccouple
    2 years ago

where the pantry is the pantry is miles from the kitcgen so its more a storage room than pantry. consider a pull out pantry in the kitchen.

decorideas2013 thanked roccouple
  • tlynn1960
    2 years ago

My current home has three full baths. One upstairs (ensuite), one on the main level as my primary bedroom ensuite, and the other one on the main level is a hallway bath near two bedrooms and laundry room. My previous two homes each had a half bath on the main level and I thought I'd miss not having one, but it's really been fine. I'm an almost empty-nester (one still at home) and I think you'll find you really don't need it plus it's just another bathroom to clean!

decorideas2013 thanked tlynn1960
  • scout
    2 years ago

Another idea is to shorten the bathtub to a shower and use that space for a coat closet. Then make use the office closet space for a bathroom. Or take the plan I posted earlier and do this anyway to add more space to the office. My powder room has a similar shower.

decorideas2013 thanked scout
  • gerard g
    2 years ago

I agree WITH SCOUT JUST SPLIT OFFICE IN HALF & ADD POWDER ROOM THERE ITS PROBABLY THE ONLY PLACE IT FITS