SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christhib

Trim color extends onto wall as intentional design detail

christhib
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

The interior of our 1915 house was last painted during a remodel about 20 years ago. Throughout the house, the wall color does not extend all the way to the trim. Rather, the trim color extends onto the wall several millimeters. This is intentional and adds visual contrast/dimension (see photos).

I want to repaint some of the rooms and I’m getting estimates from interior painters. So far one painter has come by, he was surprised to see that the wall paint did not meet the trim and pondered aloud, ”I wonder why they did that?” so it seemed to me that he had never encountered this before. I have two more painters coming this week for estimates.

My questions:

1. Is there a name for this design detail or is it relatively uncommon?

2. If it is indeed ”a thing,” should I take it as a sign of inexperience that a painter is not familiar with the style (and is not interested in replicating)?

Personally, we love the effect and want to maintain it when the rooms are repainted. I completely understand that it likely takes more time to paint this way and that may be reflected in the final cost.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (7)