SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
comelyhomely

Seeking design input on U-shaped kitchen - lots of details provided!

comelyhomely
5 years ago

I've been reading through the many helpful threads here to understand kitchen layout basics and would love some feedback on the plan I've come up with. Please let me know if the photos are as blurry to you as they seem to me here and I'll work on better-quality uploads.

Current kitchen: Dark, cramped, inefficient. Knotty pine and all that went with it. There are no base cabinets/countertops in the upper-right corner and the wall cabinets are too low over what little counter space I do have. The protrusion along the right-hand wall is a closet for the adjoining room (home office), which I’ll happily be removing! Everything must go!

Vision for new kitchen: Bright, neat, practical. Transitional style with vintage touches. White shaker cabinets, white subway tile backsplash, black laminate countertops, hopefully recovering the hardwood floors I know are buried.

I have a modest amount of kitchen gear and am able to fit everything in the space as-is, so storage is not an issue so much as functionality. I live alone, cook simply, and bake occasionally. Entertaining means making snacks for game nights, not multi-course meals for dinner parties. No plans for children but I do cook with my partner sometimes. I often make big-batch recipes and save leftovers for workweek lunches.

Cost is a concern — I will be using IKEA cabinet frames (hopefully sourcing fronts elsewhere) so the dimension options are limited, but I plan to DIY a few filler pieces. Aside from removing the above-mentioned closet and expanding one window as discussed below, I don’t want to make any big structural changes.

I am certainly open to rearranging the appliances, but here’s my rationale for their proposed placements:

• Range: There’s already a vent going through the external wall.
  • Dishwasher: I’m knowingly committing a sin I’ve seen criticized here by placing it in the prep zone. This placement has not hindered any prep work in the time I’ve lived here thus far. I’m the only one ever cooking or cleaning and I don’t do both at once :) I’d also like to finally have all my dishes in one area, which I’d lose if the bank of drawers swapped places with it.
  • Sink: State of plumbing is unknown and may already need upgrading (house is 70 yrs old), so I’d rather not increase those costs by moving it around.
  • Fridge: When I remove the closet and rebuild that wall, I’d like to create a [between-stud recess] to set the fridge back a few inches, but this is not a must.

Elevation pics and storage plans to follow in a comment, along with specific questions re: the window and sink. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Comments (29)