SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1962house

Hoping for Kitchen Layout Ideas

1962house
2 years ago

Hi everyone. We’re planning on doing a total gut remodel of the kitchen and are currently in the very early stages of thinking through what our option are. I’ve drawn up a bunch of different ideas but don’t love any of them, so I’d love to hear others’ suggestions.

The space is pretty big but kind of a weird shape. I’ve attached a hand drawn picture of the dimensions of the space, as well as a picture of our whole first floor. Below I’ll outline what I’m hoping for in our kitchen, as well as the constraints. Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions! I really appreciate any and all help. Also, sorry in advance for the long post!

Lifestyle:

-- I use my kitchen a lot. I have a 5,000 sf food garden and spend a ton of time prepping fruits and veggies both for meals and to preserve. I want a large prep area and kind of have my heart set on a big (45” maybe?) workstation sink. I would also like a dedicated baking area, if possible.

-- I definitely want some kind of seating in the kitchen. It doesn’t have to be all that useful for eating (we eat in the adjacent dining room), I just want people to be able to hang out in the kitchen while I’m cooking (and for my daughter to eventually be able to do homework in the kitchen). We don’t have room for an island, but I’m open to all other options.

-- Ideally the space would also allow for two people to cook/prep together, so my daughter can help me in the kitchen (she’s 4 now, and loves to “help” 😊 – I’m hoping that continues as she gets older).

-- I want the space to be conducive to at least two people cleaning up at the same time.

Constraints:

-- There is a 33” section on the south wall of the kitchen that is formed by the fireplace and is covered in brick. There needs to be some kind of visual barrier between the brick and the adjacent backsplash.

-- The outside of our house has a facade of lovely old brick that was reclaimed from a building that burned down. The window on the right side of the kitchen is lower than counter height, and raising it above counter height would require adding brick to the outside. I’m guessing this isn’t undoable but would like to avoid it if possible. There is a large built in planter that (I’m guessing) we could demolish and salvage brick from if we needed to raise that window.

-- The doorway from the entryway into the kitchen can’t move to the south because there’s a built in on the other side of it that I really want to keep.

-- We’re big coffee drinkers and need a space next to the sink for the espresso machine (it’s kind of messy and a hassle to deal with if not adjacent to a sink).

-- I’d love a walk in pantry but would also be OK with pantry cabinets.

Comments (13)