SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Thanksgivukkah Report

plllog
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Thanks to all who helped with the menu. Some things went as planned. Others not so much. Food was eaten. It's the first time I've taken chairs away from the dining table so people could spread out. If we're only three or four, we just sit at one end of the table. Today there were six, so I put two chairs in the living room. For a normal dining room celebration, all the chairs go in the living room to have more seating and the folding chairs go in the dining room to seat more people. But it was great fun having a "full" table with just us few, and great conversation and lots of laughs.

For those who were so kind and supportive in the planning thread--a few days ago, one of those who ignored my message about voting for what they wanted to eat, apologized for all of them. No excuses. I hadn't said anything. Just a straight out acknowledgement and apology, which I greatly appreciated.

Final menu:

Bourekes (filled filo pastries) cheese ones and pumpkin others.

Turkey croquettes

Cranberry jezebel

Pumpkin gravy

Tri-tip sous vide

Stuffing (casserole)

Green beans aumondine

Roasted baby turnips with leaves

Green salad with red wine herb vinaigrette

Mom's Apple Pie

Toll House Cookies made by The Expert

For Mr. Picky, fried chicken bits and baked potatoes

The ingredients for the bourekes were hard to source and not quite right. They were better after having been frozen. Whereas the chicken bits weren't at their best from the freezer (more on that later).

Part of the point was to fry things for Chanukah, which is something of a joke. The miracle is that one day's consecrated oil lasted in the Eternal Light for eight days. So we fry things in oil. ;) So I made turkey croquettes to be part Thanksgiving and part Chanukah. I liked Amylou's suggestion of a béchamel base. Most of the recipes I've seen are basically fried meatballs. Silly me, I made the béchamel according to the traditional recipe (minus the nutmeg). The turkey had been cooked sous vide and frozen. It was very moist unlike a lot of Thanksgiving leftovers. I should have made a thicker sauce. It was delicious--with a whole (sliced) giant red spring onion, garden sage, thyme and tarragon and some et cetera. Unfortunately, where I expected the sauce to turn to glue in the fridge, as such things do, it either stayed liquid, or the turkey shed liquid into it or something. So I thought, eggs and flour for glue, right? But I was coating them in eggs and breadcrumbs, so just kind of folded some inside and squeezed hard. The first batch fried up well enough, but the next one was a mess (I finally figured out that there was something up with the heating element when the zucchini latkes were a 100% fail), so I stopped. The tester also seemed a bit tough and overcooked. The remainder will become part of a pie or casserole. It really is good. :) Anyway, after heating in the oven on a rack with the dread chicken bits, the croquettes improved! I must have a magic oven. :) Everybody liked them. And the pumpkin gravy and cranberry jezebel-ish were excellent on them. Not tough and just right tasting. Magic!

Cranberry jezebel-ish, I say, because I used Lindac's version of the recipe--always great--but yet again, the grocery delivery gave me horseradish sauce, not prepared horseradish. This one, however, doesn't have weird stuff in it and I tried it on a sandwich. It's good. But not for the cranberry sauce. And since I discovered the error while making said sauce, I was wracking my brain. If it tasted good as is I would have just served it as cranberry sauce, but it was too sweet without the kick. My eye, roving the fridge, hoping to find some leftover horseradish until I remembered I'd left it at my mother's house, lit upon a jar of TJ's harissa. It's about the consistency of prepared horseradish, and has an excellent kick, so I put it little in, and added a little more--about a teaspoon in all, maybe half a tablespoon--and it tasted an awful lot like real cranberry jezebel. Amazing! I realized how much the Dijon adds to the flavor, leaving the horseradish/harissa to do the kicking. :) Everybody loved it.

The pumpkin gravy went over well, too, but somehow the stuffing didn't get passed, so there was a lot left. The stuffing was a combo of homemade whole wheat sourdough and matzah, Mother's style, with red onion, celery, colorful peppers and mushrooms, but shitakes rather than creminis because that's what I had. Also garden sage and herbs de province (dry), and some vermouth because I was too tired to look for the new bottle of sherry.

I was trying to make the tri-tip to suit other people, so I followed a recipe from Anova, the circulator maker. There were no issues with the circulator, and it was a pot, a small vessel, so easy to keep even. And with my Anova pot cover that keeps the moisture in. I seared it in my big cast iron and got a beautiful crust. It was way underdone. Not quite mooing. Not quite. So we put some slices in the still hot oven, and they actually came out well, and I finished cooking the remaining part in the oven for seconds. It was fine. The sous vide was really for getting it out of my way rather than an obsession with edge to edge or anything.

I should have cooked the beans longer. I like them barely more than blanched, but someone who has known one from a foetus will tell one what he thinks. :) They were all gone.

They liked the turnips a lot. I was going to do mixed roasted veg but accidentally bought twice as many bunches of baby turnips as I'd meant to, and they were small so lots to the bunch. Just roasted with oil and S&P, so the leaves could get crunchy. They softened in the bowl, however. I should have used a platter. They did very well by them.

I was exhausted when I made the salad. I'd done fine until the sun went down, then suddenly felt tired. I couldn't deal with getting down the salad spinner and had nowhere to lay out the veggie drying mats. I had a head of green leaf and a huge bunch of curly green kale. Still do. I had some triple washed spring mix and baby spinach mix and just dumped some in the bowl (reputable source), and hearing Lars in my ear denigrating many salads, added breakfast radish slices, English cucumber, heirloom mini-tomatoes cut in half, shredded ementhaller cheese, maybe something else. I was going to add avocado, ginger beets, scallion and a few other things, but I ran out of bowl, and it was pretty as it was. the dressing was just EVOO (started with Spanish but it was too wimpy so switched to Italian), red wine vinegar, a dribble of old vine zin, herbs de province, garlic pepper, and salt, but then on a whim I added some Coleman's mustard powder. It was an excellent addition!

Mom's Apple Pie uses slices which are prepared overnight with sugar and spices, rather than a jammy filling. I used a spiced white-whole-wheat crust, and a 10" deep dish. Because it's not a sinkingly wet pie, I tried an open crust again, without prebaking the top. One of the minions found my missing Fall leaves cookie cutters in a decorative cookie jar! What a great place to keep them! Wish I'd remembered I'd done that. So I did the leaves and rolled the dough thicker to help the top not sink. It worked! The spices turned the crust a very pretty dark brown. It tastes really good but there wasn't the amount of liquid as usual (made worse, probably, by the more than just vents openings) which usually goes solid in the pie. It's still really good. ;)

Anyway, I tell you all about what went wrong because I think that's more interesting than what goes right, but I promise you, in the end there was a lot of really good food and really happy, stuffed people. Mission accomplished.

Apologies for the lack of food pictures. I can't take pictures while cooking. I need my hands for other things. :)

Well, except PIE, fresh out of the oven (fully on a trivet even though it looks like it's half in the sink):

Comments (16)

• bbstx
    2 years ago

Wow! I am exhausted just reading about your feast! I envy your ability to make adjustments on the fly!

Happy Chanukah! (Autocorrect wants me to wish you a Happy ChanUtah. 🤦🏻‍♀️)

• plllog
    Original Author
    2 years ago

ROTFL!! That's some interesting autocorrect.

I'm trying to be better about follow up reports and taking pictures, but I have to be sharp to be brief. ;) Thanks for the good wishes and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

• amylou321
    2 years ago

Its sound divine! Sorry the croquettes did not cooperate but it seems they turned out well enough! And I am happy that you got a well deserved apology for being ignored.

plllog thanked amylou321
  • plllog
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks! Yes, the first batch of croquettes ended up fine. One of us had 3! I didn't realize that the pan was the problem because of that, but I had to toss the zucchiniand stop frying. i thought it was me until I tried to saute the onion for the stuffing. I move the pan and it worked just fine! Now I have to test to see if it was the pan on that element or the element itself. I think the issue with the mix is it needed drier, already sliced turkey to absorb the sauce a bit, and maybe more fat. I think it's a keeper—just have to make sure the sauce is already a bit thick and gluey before chilling. Thank-you, again, for the recipe! I’m thinking the rest will make awesome turkey mac and cheese...

• HU-455869934
    2 years ago

That is an incredibly impressive meal! You must have eight arms and the speed of Flash!

John just-a-HU Liu

• Islay Corbel
    2 years ago

Such a pretty table and a glorious pie!!! Well done for all that hard work!

plllog thanked Islay Corbel
  • party_music50
    2 years ago

Your table is gorgeous! Please explain pumpkin gravy. :)

plllog thanked party_music50
  • plllog
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nah, John, just determination and sticktuitiivity. It wasn't all on the day. I had made my pie crust dough a few days prior thinking I'd get it baked off and frozen early, but I didn't have time to peel the apples1 And it's an overnight thing, so I did the apples, finally, the night before, and before anything else in the morning rolled out, and baked off the pie. That worked well for having the oven warm (when off) all day, and quick to heat. I had to save the frying for day of because I wasn't able to clear enough space to store all the results, but I might have been able to recover from the fail if I'd done it before. The rest was just veggies and finishing stuff.

Thanks, IC. I don't usually get to have flowers on the table for lack of space. Such a luxury! Upside to small parties. :)

Thanks, too, PM for the compliment.

JC's Pumpkin Gravy

The great trick of this is that the initial cook is concentrated. The gravy is then thinned and blended before serving.

Makes about a 4-6 cups depending on how thick or thin you make it.

Ingredients

2 small to medium sized Sweetie Pie Pumpkins, Cut in half and roasted
    3 TBSP Butter, salted (or not and season to taste), browned
    2 TBSP Heavy cream
    about 2 inches Parmesan rind (or a tsp of grated parm)
    3-4 oz Good vermouth (I used Noilly Prat Rouge)
    Seasoning to taste
    approx 1/2 c. Water, distilled or good tasting

Drippings from roast (turkey or beef but maybe good with others)

---------

For finishing, 1-3 cups liquid, to your druthers, milk/stock/water, any combo (I used about 2 c. whole milk). Allow extra liquid for loss on rewarming. (Half a cup more of stock would have been good.)

Directions

Cut the pumpkins in half-ish (don't bother with the stem),, lightly coat with oil and roast inside up until soft but not falling apart. The cut side should look dry. Cool, peel and clean out "pumpkin guts". Break up into chunks.

Brown butter to a nice caramel color.. Add pumpkin and stir a lot, breaking it up more as it heats.

Add the vermouth and parmesan rind. Keep stirring.

Add enough water to loosen the pumpkin and help smooth it out. Add seasoning (if your roast is going to shed a lot of salt and other flavorings into drippings you're going to add, be careful here). Add cream. and stir well.

When the mix begins to be very soft, remove from heat and remove the parm rind. Blend. An immersion blender is best for this.

Chill.

Before serving run through a high power blender or food mill to make really smooth. Add milk, stock and/or water as needed/desired, to thin it to desired consistency. Add drippings (to taste) and blend..

• plllog
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks! Happy Hanukkah to you too!

• Jasdip
    2 years ago

I love, love your table!!! Beautiful centerpiece.

Whew, I'm tired reading your detailed dinner-making. You must have been exhausted! Leave it to you to balance several plates in the air and getting things to the table in a timely and well-done (love your pie) manner. Happy Hanukkah!

• plllog
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Jasdip! The centerpiece is courtesy of my excellent florist. :) I don't usually get to have enough room on a table for flowers, so I indulged.

I've gotten a lot better at timing meals in the last few years. Things like having the green beans ready to go in the steam oven and not forgetting them, but getting them out at the same time as the roast turnips. OTOH, the stuffing was oven to table (pretty Polish pottery baking dish) and it sat there on its trivet with only a bit gone. Even if it was too hot to pass initially, I would have thought they'd pass plates. Oh, well. I was coping with the underdone meat..... :)

• chloebud
    2 years ago

Wow, I'm beyond impressed! That was quite a spread! I love the flowers...and that pie!!!

plllog thanked chloebud
  • plllog
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Chloebud!

I guess I'm used to making feasts. It really wasn't that much. But I'll brag on the pie, now that I'm awake. The crust was actually flaky! It's the same spiced whole wheat recipe I always use with apple, but the texture was very different. I don't know if it was the white whole wheat, rather than red, or that it spent days longer than expected in the fridge. It also soaked up a lot of the juice from the pie, making the crust super scrumptious. :)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

What a lovely table and good-looking pie! Can I come to your house next year? LOL!

plllog thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • plllog
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well, it'll be closer to New Year's than Thanksgiving but sure, if you want to come a couple thousand miles for dinner. ;) So the secret to the pie is that it's a 10" deep dish. I've learned that with moderately sized apples, just keep peeling and standing them in the dish. When there's no more room, you have enough apples. Cookie cutters did the rest. :)