SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmacluvsdave

Wall color kitchen

mrsmacluvsdave
2 years ago

Hi all, posted here before and got awesome advice-so thankful for houzz! After being in our 1 yr old remodel kitchen I know I would like to change the wall color. Its BM Balboa Mist and in person, the space reads too purple for my liking and tends to pull more of the blueish grey from marble backsplash. I would like to go more neutral/white. Cabinets and ceiling are BM White Dove. can i do that on walls also or No?

Any suggestions?

Comments (25)

• chispa
    2 years ago

What is your baseboard trim color?

BM Classic Gray might work. It supposedly reads more beige than gray, but has no strong yellow undertones. You should order a few colors in the Samplize paint samples and test them out in your space. I would try the White Dove too.

mrsmacluvsdave thanked chispa
  • mrsmacluvsdave
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not sure of trim-looked at gallon ans it says Diamond Vogel and by color it says custom

• Related Discussions

Help me pick a wall color for kitchen

Q

Comments (5)
    I agree--green would be a nice choice with your cabinets and counter tops. A medium to dark color would be a nice contrast. Pastel would just get lost. Try BM Saybrook Sage, Louisberg Green, Kennebunckport Green, or any of the other greens in the Historical Paint Collection.
    ...See More

Help! Wall Color For Kitchen!

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you Judy G Design, Revere Pewter would go into a room (formal living room) I did not show you (on the other side of the kitchen table) and there are both a closet on one wall and stairway door opposite the closet directly next to the kitchen wall so the two colors will not meet (kitchen and Revere Pewter). That will be in the formal living room and hallway to a bathroom and her bedroom which will be Healing Aloe.
    ...See More

wall color in kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    B.M. Mt St Anne should work with the cream/oak combo. Do Not try to match a color to either the cabs or the backsplash.
    ...See More

Luxury Vinyl tile combo & wall color kitchen

Q

Comments (9)
    You’re putting oak veneer counters in a rental? Because you think your renters will take care of them, or because you can replace them if they don’t? I don’t know where you are nor how much rent you expect to collect for the unit, but the choices you are making for the floor and counters are 5 year choices, meaning you’ll be replacing both in 5 years. That’s not great business practice. If you can do better, do it now, and you won’t have to re-do either for a decade or more. Re: paint, the classic choice is SW 6126 Navajo White. SW 9166 Drift of Mist is a nice neutral grey, should be no problem.
    ...See More
  • mrsmacluvsdave
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Would alabaster work?

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

You can most certainly paint the walls White Dove. In fact I usually recommend using the same white for cabinets and walls in two different sheens. It gives the illusion of two shades of the same color.

Balboa Mist is a taupe and White Dove is a light Greige. I would expect that Balboa Mist would pull purple next to White Dove. Alabaster will be much cleaner than the White Dove and make the cabinets look dingy.

mrsmacluvsdave thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • mrsmacluvsdave
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for the comment. Is there a sheen that is usually on cabinets? I just realized my ceiling is White Dove also—not sure why the designer who helped reccomened that. Continuity I guess? I just know I would love the purple tint gone but also worry about then the walls and cabinets melting into one another

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

Usually walls are eggshell, cabinets and trim are satin and ceilings are flat.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

Classic Gray was recommended earlier and does work well with White Dove if you want more contrast.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

It is a bit baffling why the designer recommended Balboa Mist with White Dove when they have such different undertones (one yellow and the other purple). Both are very popular, but both bring out the undertones of the other and just do not work well together.

• Haley Johnson
    2 years ago

Interesting. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the current color.

mrsmacluvsdave thanked Haley Johnson
  • amykath
    2 years ago

I can see the slight pink purple undertone. I think going with your cabinet color will look great if you are trying to go with a shade of white.

What is the paint color used on the far wall with all of the windows?

mrsmacluvsdave thanked amykath
  • Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

@Haley Johnson and @Gina C

Sometimes it is hard to see in pictures, but the OP is not wrong when she says she is seeing purple.

I have used the two colors below and then on the row underneath I have shown the closest hues with a bit more chroma and equal luminosity.

There is a break somewhere between 90 and 100 where whites and near neutrals shift from yellow to pink/purple. At higher chroma they shift from pink/orange to green.

When you get large quantities of the color (Like a 100 SF wall) these pink and purple or yellow or green undertones can scream at you. That neutral white suddenly looks baby blue, or that pretty cream looks pastel yellow.

If you look at the OPs picture and look right below the 4 pictures by the table. Do you see where the wall looks pink/purple and the table looks yellow? In person that whole wall looks that purple.

This is why you always need large (24"x36") samples for whites and near neutrals. You simply need that much of the color to be able to see the undertones. I also like to look at them outside on a clear day around 2:00 in the afternoon. All their undertones show in that light.

• mrsmacluvsdave
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much for these comments/suggestions. Going tonget some samples of Classic Gray and White Dove. Leaning more towards white i just dont want any more blue/gray pulled from backsplash (which is one of two regrets I wish i could redo). Living room color is SW elephant ear which i would like to change eventually also. Lived with it for 5 yrs and done with the dark gray! Our home is 103 years old so its a room

by room redo/cosmetic spruce up!

• Gina C
    2 years ago

What is your regret on the backsplash? I do see purple, but I have Balboa Mist throughout my whole house as well, and in the kitchen it definitely pulls purple!

• mdefree
    2 years ago

I would suggest go white dove in eggshell. You could play around with white dove and darken it 25% to 50% to see if you like it.

mrsmacluvsdave thanked mdefree
  • mrsmacluvsdave
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I regret not realizng how the blue/grey the marble would pull and being talked into the bevel instead of flat. We wanted timeless, classic because my husband said we’re not doing this again lol! I love the polished nickel but wish i added in more gold

• mdefree
    2 years ago

Balboa Mist .62 and White Dove .56 their chromas are two close together and don’t work well. You want a .20 difference between your trim and wall paint. .62-.56= .06 is well below the .20 difference. This rule doesnt apply to the same color as your trim. If you use white dove for your walls you dont follow this rule. You can look at sw white duck. White Duck would work .31 difference.

• mdefree
    2 years ago

Here is a photo of sw white duck. i think it would be gorgeous in your kitchen and cancel out the purplish that you dont like.

mrsmacluvsdave thanked mdefree
  • mrsmacluvsdave
    Original Author
    2 years ago

How does white dove compare to this SW white duck? Another thing I’m trying to be more aware of is appropriate mixing of the warms/cools in the space (warmth in cabinets/floors) cool in counters/backbacksplash

• amykath
    2 years ago

mrsmac, I would always lean towards a warmer undertone for the walls. That is just me personally. If you do not like the purple undertone then definitely stay away from cooler wall colors.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

You do already have a cool and a warmer white. Your cabinets and backsplash/counter look good together. It gives the room interest. If it was all the same creamy white or all true/blue white would lack interest. White Dove has just enough cream to add interest without going yellow.

https://maisondecinq.com/gorgeous-farmhouse-kitchen-renovation/

What was throwing your kitchen off was the addition of a third undertone that fought with the other two.

Your gray/whites have the cooler blue undertones. White Dove is very neutral (gray/white) with just a hint of yellow undertone.

The wall color you picked was a bit more orange in tone and when grayed down and placed next to the yellower white dove it shifted purple.

I have a lot of purple tones in my home, so it does the opposite - makes White Dove go yellow and Balboa Mist looks very neutral.

I played with the colors a bit to try to demonstrate why the White Dove is working and lower or higher hues may not work as well. It is not a scientific example (I didn't take the time to measure the chroma/Luminosity) just adjusted based on an HSL Color space.

For me the Hue of 90 is working well, not too green and not too orange with a neutral gray.

Like I said, I use a lot of reds and purples in my home

here is the orangest (hue=80) and the greenest (hue=100) next to red and purple.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

By the way - some of Mother natures most beautiful creations mix warm and cool neutrals.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

Actually - this reminds me of your kitchen with the creamy neutral white and the touch of sparkling blue

Interesting information - Himalayan and Siamese cats have a gene that suppresses Melanin production at 101 degrees (body temperature of a cat). So genetically they are a solid color, but the color is produced on their cooler extremities (face, ears, legs, tail). So the white is lighter and lighter versions of the color of the face.

Have to give it to mother nature to create the perfect harmony.

• chloe00s
    2 years ago

I had a similar issue in our north-facing kitchen where we have BM Decorator’s White Shaker cabinets, marble gray/white herringbone backsplash (but Virginia Mist/Jet Mist dark counters). Every gray I tried on the walls looked lavender or blue. Finally found Valspar Silver Dust which is a very light gray. Almost whitish with all lights on, but just enough gray tone to see a minimal contrast with baseboards and cabinets.

• lawsonch19
    2 years ago

I LOVE the color you have now!