SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

Name a thing you didn't realize had become "passé"

This is actually inspired by another thread, which hasn't been responded to. I thought of recreating it here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6201892/whatever-happened-to-plaque-mounting

But then thought, in the spirit of Kitchen Table, I'd instead reference and suggest a more general discussion. You can feel free to share your knowledge of framing...OR some other time you were made to feel out of touch LOL. Because it felt pretty surreal as I was calling around, and visiting in person, a few framing shops and chain stores today. They either seemed to have no idea what I was talking about or immediately said 'we don't do that'. For a second I joked with myself - was I once in a parallel universe with an alternate framing reality? I know (? or do I?) it was a bigger thing in the 90s - had to be - because a (very middle brow and amateur) photographer friend of my parents had a lot of his personal pictures 'framed' that way. A visitor to my house would be subject to at max 3-4 images of mine...he had them covering the walls LOL. The first time I wanted to 'frame' one of my own pictures in 1999 I went to fancy Damon Gallery in Vienna, VA, which is where he went, and got one of my pics 'laminate box framed' as I believe it was called by them.

It's possible there's a regional pattern/bias here...this was just regionally popular in the DC area, and I assumed it was a completely standard practice, before it wasn't even a local trend anymore!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH