SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
old_dirt

plantagenia or variant

old_dirt 6a
2 years ago

I received several clumps (a few weeks back) of what I assume are plantagenia from my BIL I potted a couple, healed some in and planted a few in a permanent spot. I can only assume they are actually plantagenia by the veery large and aromatic flowers.

After looking them up in the HL, I see there are a few variations but not much in the database. Is it likely they could be a variation and how would I tell the difference? Also any special considerations I should know about them?

Thanks for any input

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

flower size defines the species .. ken

old_dirt 6a thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • hosta_maker
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

According to schmidt the species leaves are rounder. variants like aphrodite can have a slightly smaller flower, but doubled and a fickle bloomer. hosta journal 35-1 pg46 has a good story on the quest to aquire aphrodite from china.

other than the double there probably werent alot of the variants for sale in the US.

although they apparently exist.

old_dirt 6a thanked hosta_maker
  • old_dirt 6a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So I am going to assume I have plantagenia and not a variant. Will be interesting to see when it flowers. Thanks all!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

we had plantaginea back in the 60s when we bought it with the house ... i see them everywhere ... as they arent even hard to miss at 55 miles per hour with those huge white august flowers ...

odds are ... unless you buy some variant from a very high end collector that is what you have.. and even if you did ... it still might just be the old standard ....

if it matters one whit in your life.. note the correct spelling and compare it to the pic above.. and if it doesnt matter to you ... .. then i apologize for bringing it up .. lol ...

ken

and BTW: i did buy them from various peeps who claimed variants.. and frankly i was never convinced they werent all the same.. and i got ripped off ... im not talking about multi flowers or any of that ...

old_dirt 6a thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • old_dirt 6a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

ken, it does matter and thank you for the correction.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus