SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_dominick

Dry dusty smell bedroom - breathing problems

Kevin Dominick
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello,
I have been having problems with my bedrooms since the end of August. I started to incure some mild eye irritation and itching throat. I thought it was allergies and decided to shampoo my carpet. I didn't have issues at the time and then circulated the room with the ceiling fan and several rotating fans. That night I woke up with a horrendous burning sensation in my chest/eyes/face.I thought it was a reaction to using too much shampoo chemicals ( I shampood before with no reaction). I got it professionally steam cleaned but I still experienced sporadic episodes, even after I bought a hepa vacuum. I eventually tore out the carpet but my symptoms still peristed.
The floor is old vat tiles with some type of black tar paper on plywood substrate. Right now my room has this strange old dusty abondoned library smell. My throat and mouth go dry whenever I breath in the air, even though the humidity is higher upstairs than downstairs. Symptoms become intensified if I circulate the air, especially with the door closed.
I believe my initial allergies may have been due to some blown fiberglass I had installed into the kneewalls and ceiling at the end of August, but its been 2 months and the problem persists. The dry dust smell started to intensify after I removed the carpet. I got a mold/particulate test done and tested negative for mold and some slightly elevated levels of fiberglass. Cleaning the walls and ceilings seemed to have reduced the smell slightly, along with the symptoms. Venting the room does not seem to have any effect, have left windows open for several weeks.
Im at a lost on what to do. Is it possible that the old tiles are creating that weird dust smell or am I just becoming sensitive to whatever was making me sick back in August?

Comments (7)