SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Just when I was getting used to Mayim Bialik on Jeopardy . . .

Alisande
2 years ago

. . . this popped into my phone yesterday.

Jeopardy Host Mayim Bialik Isn't Fitting In

Comments (45)

• foodonastump
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Though one of my less preferred guests, she grew on me in recent weeks. I’d have been fine with her in the permanent spot but if she’s not playing well behind the scenes then I guess that’s a problem. On the issue of dress though, it’s who she is and if they didn’t like it then shame on them for choosing her in the first place.

I’m not crazy about Ken, but I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, for me it’s more about the contestants and the game so the host is unlikely to affect my viewing unless particularly annoying.

• bpath
    2 years ago

I hadn't seen it for several weeks, at least not the beginning, and I noticed that when Ken came out the announcer said "and now, hosting Jeopardy, Ken Jennings" instead of announcing him as the the host. Did they announce Mayim that way, too?

• Related Discussions

Uh-oh . . . I can't watch Jeopardy this week!

Q

Comments (32)
    My TV reception is back! Jeopardy here I come!! It's a long story, but I figured out what the problem was. The roofers didn't mess up my antenna connection--I did. It was an easy fix. Meanwhile, keeping me company in the kitchen as I cook have been episodes of "Cheers." I've been appreciating it all over again--a very funny show! But I'm looking forward to Jeopardy tonight. Thanks!
    ...See More

New Jeopardy host

Q

Comments (27)
    Current host is David Faber. I guess he reports on finance. He's good. Jeopardy! never said these were tryouts, just guest hosts. But it has been fun to taste them as possible contenders. I'd never expect someone to be like Alex. After all, he was not the same a Art Fleming. Mind you, he didn't exactly replace Fleming. So r situation is different. Interesting that the current champion has played under 3 different hosts now, and will likely play under a 4th! It will be interesting later to see what he has to say about that. Many champions say they prepared by learning Alex's rhythm, but Matt would have to figure it out in 10 minutes, to chime in properly the rest of the game.
    ...See More

More controversy about Jeopardy's new host

Q

Comments (71)
    I hadn’t seen Faber before and thought he was a fine Jeopardy host. I hope he doesn’t have ”a history”. I’d like to see him as permanent host. eld, so right. Does anyone NOT have a history of some kind?
    ...See More

Jeopardy, anyone else experience this?

Q

Comments (14)
    Were you getting a broadcast that had been "interrupted" by a long lasting Football, Baseball game? Sorry, sports people, but that irritates me! I have a favorite show that "should" come on on Sunday evenings...it has been shortened since the new season started! Because, you know? Sports make more money. I don't mind as much the "long" game, but the announcers having to explain every play that was made in the whole game. If the "watchers" need that explanation, why do they pretend they are even watching it? Ok..off my soapbox now.
    ...See More
  • foodonastump
    2 years ago

Just pulled up a random episode from a few weeks ago, she was introduced as the host not as hosting.

• Alisande
    Original Author
    2 years ago

She struck me as overly assertive (i.e., pushy) at first, and I found that annoying. But I completely support her insistence on choosing her own wardrobe for the show. I would do the same. Although my wardrobe selections would be quite different from hers. :-)

• sjerin
    2 years ago

Seems ro me the producers cant get past her conservative clothing choice—what a shame. I think she does a swell job and I really like her enthusiasm.

• nicole___
    2 years ago

I like her! This is really getting out of hand....

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    2 years ago

I like her too. Very friendly and smiling. Ken seems like a drip in comparison (to me)

• maggie200
    2 years ago

Ken has become more engaging and comfortable with the players. His remarks are clever and warm. The best i have seen him be. i think both settled in to the best of their roles.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

Ken has a nice comfy quality about him , but i too grew to like Mayim. She is smart and witty. Id be happy if she was the permanent host. I think her clothing choices improved and I loved all of her glasses.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Funny, I never noticed anything different about her clothes until they were mentioned here. Now it’s glasses - if not for dedtired’s comment I wouldn’t have been able to say whether or not she wears them!

• Lindsey_CA
    2 years ago

Mayim Bialik has "clothing issues," and this is a known fact. Did any of you ever watch What Not to Wear (with Stacy London and Clinton Kelly) when it was on? Mayim was the person featured on an episode in 2009.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

That show was brutal!

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

I don't watch the show but I have seen photos of her in unbecoming attire. It is show biz after all. Whether old or young, thin or overweight, male or female, there are attractive and situationally appropriate clothing choices to make and she seems to not easily be able to do so.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

I read that she wears conservative clothing for religious reasons.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Whatever the reason she’s undoubtedly aware of people’s thoughts and not changing it is a choice not an inability.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Yesterday I stopped in at McD for an Egg McMuffin, and mentally critiqued the woman next to me, about my age, in jeans, loose sweater, sneakers, and hair that could use some coiffing. Then looked down, to see jeans, loose sweaters, and clogs, and remembered I hadn’t done more than brush my hair. So when I say this about Bialik, it’s certainly not from aholier-than-thou pedestal:

Conservative or modest dress doesn’t have to mean ill-fitting,

And, since I am me, I’m on the fence about her dress. ”You do You” versus ”It’s television, dahling “

I like her hosting. But I’m still Team David Ferber.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

No, not at all. But neither should she look like her outfits are borrowed from her mother.

Food, I suspect her appearance and her clothing are as she wishes them to be. You're putting more precision than is warranted on wording I chose quickly .

• lily316
    2 years ago

She dresses like one of my old great aunts.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

I prefer her style to some of the "celebrities" we see now with barely a scrap of fabric to cover the important parts, see through clothing and tiny strings that are being called bikinis. Repulsive.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

I, too, hate those scraps covering the important parts!

• lizzie_grow
    2 years ago

For me, and we do watch Jeopardy every day. I enjoy the fact that Mayim just seems to be having a good time hosting the show, whereas Ken seems not to project that so much...in spite of the fact he lives in same city as us!!

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I find it so offensive that people are criticizing the way she dresses and looks vs. the way she hosts the show. Can you imagine the same controversy/conversation if the host were a man? It would never happen.

eta: the one thing about clothing that I've taken notice of, as a new Jeopardy watcher (I've not been able to watch it because of no TV for many years, but just discovered that if I record it on Hulu, I can watch it - otherwise it's not available there for streaming), is that the host and contestants all seem to wear coordinated/complementary colors to each other and the background color. I'm curious how they make that happen, if the contestants are choosing their own wardrobes?

• Jasdip
    2 years ago

LOL FOAS!!!!!!!!!! I almost spit my drink out.

• ritamay91710
    2 years ago

I agree, Olychick. No one ever says anything about how men look/dress. Who cares what she wears? Personally, I like Ken as host, but it has nothing to do with what Mayim wears.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

I think it's really too bad that some people like to redirect and mistakingly suggest comments and opinions to be something other than what they are.

Disagreeing with or critiquing something an African American does or says is not automatically a manifestation of racism or motivated by racism. Disagreeing with or critiquing something an Israeli or Israel itself does is not automatically antisemitism or a manifestation of it. Disagreeing with or critiquing something a woman does or says is not automatically sexist, biased, or mysoginistic. People who like to find offense with what's nothing more than simple differences of opinion will always insist on doing so, it's quite sad.

• ritamay91710
    2 years ago

But Elmer, why are you so bothered by her outfits that 'look like they were borrowed from her mother'? It effects your life how?

• Olychick
    2 years ago

One of my old great aunts was a flapper! She was quite small and I had a stash of her beaded silk dresses that I used to play 'dress-up' in. So dressing like an old great aunt is a wonderful image for me!

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"why are you so bothered"

I'm not bothered at all. As I said above, I don't watch the show, I was only commenting on something I observed. She's far from the only person in the public eye who some find makes odd or unexpected choices of attire.

Why do you suggest no one ever comments about men dressed unexpectedly or what in someone's opinion is situationally inappropriate, and automatically conclude there's a bias or other inappropriate sentiment behind it? I hear comments like that from time to time.

Not everyone is stylish. As I said before, it is show business. I'm far from the only one who finds her choice of attire to be out of step with what many would find to be more in keeping with someone in the public eye. The references and photos to others who dress inappropriate in other ways is highly offensive to me and should be to most people, it isn't what I suggested. .

If you want a reference for modest, respectable, yet stylish and personally flattering attire for men and women? Take a look at how most politicians dress when appearing in public. For female clothing in particular, consider how much more professional and presentable female pols in Washington in their 60s, 70s and older look compared to how she dresses. And she's in her 40s.

• ritamay91710
    2 years ago

Your multi paragraph responses seem like you're bothered, lol, or at least have a strong opinion on someone on a show you say you never even watch. but ok. Life is short, wear what you want.

• lily316
    2 years ago

I much prefer her look any day over any of the Karthrashians. I don't watch the show but have seen her and think maybe her religion plays a part in how she dresses. It just seems so old-fashioned when compared to today's conservative clothing.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Sorry Rita may, a wrong assumption. I'm just a wordy person. I truly don't watch the show nor care about her persona or image.

• Alisande
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Men aren't criticized for the way they dress? They would if they deviated from what we expect of them. If a host consistently showed up in pants that were too short, or a too-wide tie in a garish print, I guarantee the comments would be flying.

I thought Buzzy Cohen's suits (made by his dad) were beautiful. I don't think anyone criticized them, but some criticized his glasses.

When discussing Mayim's clothing choices, it's ridiculous to throw Vanna White or one of the Kardashians into the mix. Neither look would be appropriate for Jeopardy. And by the way, to those I "offended" with my criticism of Mayim's appearance, isn't Kendall Jenner being critiqued here? And isn't she a woman?

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

Men who go to extremes are also widely criticized. Lookism goes both ways.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

"And by the way, to those I "offended" with my criticism of Mayim's appearance, isn't Kendall Jenner being critiqued here? And isn't she a woman?"

You're so right! So let's stop criticizing women's appearance! I'd rather we support women in being able to make their own choices about everything, including how they choose to dress or style their hair or whatever. I'm always amazed that it's mostly women who go after other women for all that stuff. I don't see men going after women's appearance nearly as often and seldom do you see them go after other men for their appearance.

eta: And from Mayim to Kendall, it's obvious that women are prime targets for criticism at both end of the spectrum.

• maire_cate
    2 years ago

I agree with Alisande - I would comment if it were a male too. If Ken Jennings came out in denims and a flannel shirt I'd definitely make a comment.

I watch Jeopardy nearly every evening and I think she's doing a great job. I like her delivery, she has a friendly manner, is interesting and really seems to enjoy what she's doing. However I think many of her outfits border on dowdy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dressing conservatively. Actually I tend to dress that way too - but then again I'm not a celebrity on TV whose job is to moderate an entertainment game show.

• patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

I will agree that her fashion sense is a little defective and her clothes are not particularly flattering but the show is not about her and she does a very good job of making it about the contestants. I am totally on board with what ever she chooses to wear as long as it covers the necessities. In fact you dont actually see much of her, just hear her voice so what is the problem?

• drewsmaga
    2 years ago

Elmer, "As I said above, I don't watch the show, I was only commenting on something I observed." If you don't watch the show, how is this something you observed? She hosted for several weeks, but you wouldn't know that if you "don't watch the show." Get your story straight if you're going to chime in. Just sayin . . . .

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Wow, Kendall got censored? Puritanical much?

• graywings123
    2 years ago

On Jeopardy, you don't see the host's clothing that much. Most shots are of the face or upper body. Here are some shots of her. What's wrong with them?

• graywings123
    2 years ago

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Building a wardrobe for her geriatric years. Nothing ”wrong” with it just not fashionable or particularly appealing.

• graywings123
    2 years ago

Rachel Maddow wears that uniform every day on air.

• patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

If she just stuck with that dark blue jacket she would be good to go. Guys get to wear the exact same thing every day. She could have different scarves. But it must not be her bliss to do so. Still I dont mind what she looks like and I do watch the show so I have an informed opinion.

• Lindsey_CA
    2 years ago

"Wow, Kendall got censored? Puritanical much?"

Kendall Jenner is beautiful and has a great body. However, her choice of attire when attending a wedding was, in many peoples' opinion, a bit inappropriate. Clubbing, yes, attending a wedding, no.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County