SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_314172561

Problem with communicating AC

Greg
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I recently had a whole house generator installed at my house. Right after it was installed, my Ruud communicating AC system was showing an error on the thermostat, "Call for Service". When I clicked through for more details, it just said call for service with no indication of what was wrong. The AC appeared to be running totally fine - it was hot outside and the house was staying totally cool. I called the generator installation company and they told me they didn't know anything about it and that I should call an AC repair company.

I called a local AC company that has a good reputation. The technician seemed very inexperienced and was struggling to figure out what was going on and was constantly on the phone with "lead" technicians, asking for help. He said he checked the error codes on the condenser unit and it indicated that the run capacitor was bad. He removed the run cap and tested it and said he confirmed it was bad (the reading was a low number), and he then installed a new run cap. This seemed to fix the error on the thermostat screen but then the blower wasn't coming on and he concluded I have a bad blower. He said I needed a new blower for $1200. As we were doing the paperwork, the blower came on. I told him I wanted to hold off on replacing the blower since the blower was running and it seemed to be working fine before he got there (except for an error notice on the thermostat).

Soon after he left the unit was having a new problem - communication problems appearing on the thermostat screen. It was randomly showing a screen saying "Air Conditioner Found" and then "Air Handler Found" and "Searching". And then it would show a screen saying "Communication Error". And then shortly after that the screen of the thermostat would look totally normal like nothing was wrong, and the unit would run fine. And this communication searching would just keep repeating every hour or so. But the AC was working and the house was cool (I live in Miami where it's still hot during the day).

Now, a day later, there is a burnt smell in my house. The AC unit is not coming on. The air handler appears to be trying to come on (it's vibrating at times) but the condenser unit outside is not coming on. The communication is re-setting almost constantly, saying "Air Conditioner Found" and then "Air Handler Found" and "Searching". Then the thermostat looks normal for a short time, and then starts searching again. Could communication re-setting problems and burnt smell be caused by a bad blower? Is it possible that the technician who installed the new run cap broke something by installing the wrong run cap? Would an incorrect run cap cause communication problems and ultimately lead to a burning smell and the system failing to run?

Thanks!

Comments (8)