SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vanlaanenj

Please help me choose a coffee table.

vanlaanenj
2 years ago

I have a new 100" white linen sofa being delivered next week. I need help choosing a coffee table. All that are listed are around the same size. I will post a photo of my living area. Keep in mind the sofa, chair and a half, coffee and end tables in photo are ALL gone. My house is light and bright, pulling your attention to pops of art and the Maui ocean view outside. I like Leanne Ford's design style.

My NEW sofa:

Bench. Use a s a coffee table, 2 make a depth of 24"

Rattan:

Pismo:

Marble:

Folsom:

My house: Remember the sofa, chair and a half, coffee and end tables are ALL gone.

Comments (18)

• Rachel
    2 years ago

I like the Folsom. I like the bench a lot too, but I'm not sure how two of them stacked together will look.

vanlaanenj thanked Rachel
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

I like the rattan or Folsom.

• Related Discussions

Please Help Me Choose A Summer Coffee Table

Q

Comments (2)
    Sorry, this was my first attempt at posting a photo. Have to run, but will try again later!
    ...See More

Help me choose a rug,coffee table media stand to go with my couch!

Q

Comments (3)
    I think you'll get better advice showing a picture of the space and size of room. Wall and floor color makes a difference. Nice pieces so far! Any colors you like, or looking for a neutral calm space? Do you have any art already?
    ...See More

Please help me with lighting and a coffee table!

Q

Comments (70)
    So I was just about to post a new question here and was thinking about this thread and how so many of you wonderful humans took time out a few years ago (omg pre-pandemic!!) when I was redoing my one bedroom condo. I obvs have no idea if people continue to stay on this forum but I’m hoping at least a few people see this so I can say THANK YOU!! Long story to go along with the long years we’ve all faced from early 2020 to now, but short version is soon after I did “refreshed” my place, I moved out of the h*** that was condo living in DC amid the pandemic to stay with my folks in NC. And quickly decided I never wanted to move back to DC! So I sold my place!! And no, I do not regret for a moment the work I put into it bc (1) it looked awesome and (2) it sold within days of being on the market, at a price a tad higher than other places in my own bldg which I attribute to a bit of emotional response bc my condo looked FIRE. So thanks to everyone who made suggestions (even those I didn’t take!). I learned so much and have found so much more confidence in my ability to know what I like, how to ask for help, and most of all…not become overwhelmed with opinions!! I ask for them, but hey…people like different things, no biggie. Anyways, in case anyone is still around, thought I’d share a few pics of how it all turned out in the end. Happy spring everyone!
    ...See More

Please help complete me! Mainly coffee & end tables

Q

Comments (1)
    More angles
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I like this with sisal or jute rug

or, go for this look

• Jennifer Svensson
    2 years ago

Pismo is my favorite, I like the more organic look of it. Is it too small maybe…?

• elcieg
    2 years ago

Are you keeping the other two chairs?

You also should be considering a rug first. Then the coffee table.

• vanlaanenj
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@judianna20 I am keeping the 2 papasan chairs. I have never had a floor rug in my life. Seems to me it would get dirty so fast. Tile is so easy to clean after the beach.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

rugs are easy to vaccuum. rinse your feet off before coming inside.

if you want to complete the look, you're going to need a rug.

• vanlaanenj
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. :Thank you for the advice. In my research jute/sisal/ seagrass rugs do not do well in high humidity as they are prone to mold. I have mold sickness and cannot risk getting sicker. I hate the look of "regular" area rugs and the off gassing from those may also be a problem for me. I think my look may have to go un-complete. Maybe a flat thin cotton rug???

• calidesign
    2 years ago

I like the rattan, pismo, or folsom. But if you're leaving the floor bare, I would consider a slightly richer, darker wood color so you have some contrast with your floor tiles. Or use a darker wood for your end tables. You need some color contrast on one of those.

• loobab
    2 years ago

I would not get a table with a marble top or heavy stone top.

It will be very, very heavy to move to clean the floor for you or your housekeeper and no one stays young forever.

Since you have an open concept, we need to see your dining area so that everything plays well together.

Sorry, none of those coffee tables do anything.

You say you like Leann Ford.

Well, go look at her rooms and look at the coffee tables she picks and distill down the characteristics of the tables.

Your tables do not have those characteristics except being made of wood.

This isn't like falling in lust and saying, "She just has that je ne sais quoi..."

Leann Ford describes her style as warm minimalism.

She uses straight lines combined with curves and not too many of either, and if she has two pieces with curves, the curves are of different types, ditto for the lines.

If she has two pieces made of wood, the wood is of different types and colors and finishes.

Here, is the white sofa. There are a lot of tall legs, in the chairs and the table against the wall. So the coffee table is a solid cuboid with no legs at all. Note that the sofa, chairs and console table are all solid colors, so the sofa table is a mixed color treatment of tan and brown and the vase on that console table carry it across the room.

Here below you have the white sofa, but unlike the photo above, the room is chock-full of sensual soft roundness. You have two round light fixtures, a modified papasan chair with a soft fuzzy sheepskin-looking cover, you have a round table, you have a roundish vase, two curved ceramic pieces on the console table, and 2 large curvy gourds that are snuggling, a big coiled fluffy stool. Ford even softens her usual white-ish walls and uses a paint treatment to soften the color to a tan whatever it is. The browns and woods are all different colors- the door, the faux-fur, the square art piece, the papasan chair.

Three things have legs per se- the console table, the papasan chair has hairpin legs and the round table has a leg. So lets look at the coffee table- other then the square art piece on the wall, the squares of the 2 coffee tables are the only other squares in the room. They are needed. Without them, the room would really be off-balance, and I think a man sitting in there would feel uncomfortably out of place. Those two tables also have solid bases smaller than their tops, but not legs as there are already enough legs in the room, and their color carries through the color of the round table, just perfect.

• loobab
    2 years ago

Here, Ford uses the sofa you ordered. The sofa does not have the softness of the sofas in the previous photos. Its straight lines and that of the sofa table is balanced by the roundness of the light fixture in the middle of the room and the curve of the chair.

Also note that the grey chair has interesting lines and texture and color , all of which are different from that of the sofa table. However, the grey chair is not out of place, because the grey is carried through in the stones on the floor. The sofa table's legs are darker than the table itself which is important, because the table top is the same color as the sofa.

I don't care much for the sofa table, it is too rustic for my tastes, and I would be concerned about splinters.

Here below, there are three pieces of hard furniture with legs, the console table, the sofa table and the side table, however they are all different and unique.

The console table has a natural edge and its legs are slanted and graceful, about to take flight, putting me in mind of the legs of an antelope. It is quite beautiful.

I don't care for the way that corner is styled with all that artwork and the dough bowl all together, it distracts from the stark beauty of the table. Less is more. No dough bowl and less art on the wall.

The side table has solid strong dark brown medium height legs and a black stone top.

The sofa table bridges the other two with its black metal narrow frame and looped legs and wide wood top of narrow planks.

All that wood is necessary to counteract the very massive stone fireplace, however, two of the three tables have non-wood elements.

What I don't like about this sofa table is that it is too low, it should be the height of the sofa seat.

What I don't like about the side table is that it is too low. A side table should be the height of the arm of the chair, otherwise it is too uncomfortable for the person who needs to reach out to place down a drink or a plate.

That will be an issue for you when you purchase a side table for your sofa. The arms of your sofa are designed uncomfortably high.

• vanlaanenj
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@loobab So much wonderful information from you! Thank you. I had no idea such thought goes into these things. I choose the bench to use as a coffee table as it is similar to what she has used in the photo you posted with the stone floors, and in other places like her Rock the Block house. I actually had a Zoom consultation with Leanne and have made changes (and are making them) that she mentioned. For a coffee table she mentioned to get marble. She agrees that a rug is needed in living and in dining. She said get rid of couch, chair and a half and coffee and side tables (I am). She said get another papasan (now I have 2). She wants me to pull the tile up and buff the concrete, then seal it. That will not be happening anytime soon, as it is $$$. I white washed the tiles for now. They were much browner. We do not have antique stores on this island. The weather ruins most stuff.

I will post photo of dining area. It is open to my kitchen as well, but that is being remodeled right now and is a construction zone. She didn't mention anything with this room, except an area rug.

• loobab
    2 years ago

Hi jvanlaanen-

How nice that you were able to speak with Leann Ford by Zoom!

In my mind, we select a professional to guide us because we like what we know of their training and their work, however, we expect that they would advise us based on the exigencies of our lives, not merely envisaging things through the lens of their own Weltanschauung.

If you are allergic to mold, and or dust, and floor coverings are not good for you, never mind how they look, or who tells you to use a floor covering, don't get them!

Not only that, there is a reason that homes in tropical climates use tile floors, from Hawaii to Florida to the Caribbean to India. They rot, as you yourself said earlier.

Really, has Leann Ford ever lived in the tropics?

And as for the marble table-

Aging doesn't happen in a linear fashion, it happens exponentially. Before you know it.

Not to mention the effect of sports-related injuries which can happen at any age.

Even if you can move a marble table to mop, are you going to be there when the housekeeper comes? Do you think she is going to risk hurting her back to move your table? Dream on.

A wood table can be repaired, sanded, stained, etc.

Marble cannot.

So firstly, if you are not going to get a floor covering because of your breathing (and asthma is no picnic) you need to think about how a marble table would look on your floor, and it may not look as nice directly on the floor without a floor covering.

Another thing, importing things from the mainland is very expensive.

Why buy a Leann Ford sofa table?

You have gorgeous exotic woods in Hawaii and master craftsmen.

I would keep your eyes open and comb garage sales and second-hand stores and Goodwill (and look at the online sales) and tell everyone you know you are looking for an all-wood handmade sofa table and when you go to all these stores bring index cards with your name and phone number and what you are looking for written on the cards so they will call you when it comes in.

People die all the time and family members give stuff away or sell it for peanuts not realizing their value.

Absolutely do NOT get three papasan chairs, that is ridiculous!

In a large living room, you can have 2 sofas and 2 chairs, or one sofa and 4 chairs, 2 of the chairs are the same and the other two are the same.

You may have a guest that is older or with a bad back and needs a straight back or more structured chair, and the sofa and papasan chair won't do at all. I would get at least one straight backed (but comfortable) chair that has arms. If you can find 2 that is better.

I would get a sofa that is a simple tuxedo style that goes with most styles, it looks like this-

I think you need a larger dining area table and chairs. One large enough to sit at least 6.

I am not convinced about the buffed concrete.

It is tremendously expensive.

It is not commonly done or expected in Hawaii, and you will not recoup your money if you sell the house.

To do it correctly takes tremendous expertise and very specialized equipment and the ways and means to get the equipment to your place easily and safely and the ability to easily and safely and ecologically dispose of the waste which is considerable.

What works and is easy and economical for Leann Ford in Pennsylvania may be impossible or exorbitant in Hawaii.

In addition, if the finish in the buffed concrete gets damaged it allows for the growth of mold and mildew which is the LAST thing you need.

And, I think the finish needs to be touched up periodically.

That is way too much maintenance.

With all due respect to Leann Ford, I think you are much better off working with a certified interior who is experienced and works in Hawaii.

This person will know what is available in your area for a reasonable price, who the reliable contractors are, what is considered desirable, where to obtain products, what can and can't be done, etc.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you start building up a sizeable "look book" of all the things you like.

You can start by perusing things here on Houzz and creating your idea books, and write what you like and don't like about all the things you save.

For example, you might not like a whole room, but like the light fixture, or a painting.

Or you don't know if you like anything in particular about a room, but you like the gestalt of the thing, it makes you feel relaxed.

You can also upload files or photos from the internet into your Houzz idea books.

Or you can save photos into your computer.

You can use an interior designer from another island, he/she doesn't need to live on your island.

When you are looking for ideas, you might want to look for ideas from coastal areas and tropical areas.

Wait a few days, some more people on Houzz will probably contribute their opinions as well.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Here are Leanne's tables from Crate & Barrel. I know they have delivered to Hawaii.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/collaborations/leanne-ford/1?st=leanne%20ford

• vanlaanenj
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@loobab Thank you again for all your insight! I'm not getting any rugs. As you stated, they aren't suitable for my home. The marble coffee table doesn't concern me as it is easy to mop around it. It sits flat on the floor. Coffee tables aren't that large. Now, how it looks on my floor is a concern for all of these tables. I ordered the sofa back in March and it will be here in a few days. It is not one from the Ford collection, but one I choose out of months of research. I do search the used places online for Maui and sell on there. Our used stores are really junky. The furniture stores are very expensive and most are Hawaiian themed and not of my taste. Ordering from the mainland and using a co-shipper isn't that expensive. I am not getting 3 papasans, Leanne said to get 1 more back when I only had 1. I rarely use my dining area, the eating peninsula in my kitchen is used most. The dining table is for games, or writing, or whatever. I do have a large 6 person wood dining table outside on my lanai (you can see it outside the glass sliding door if you look for it), which is great for breakfasts or any gatherings or meals. I can't afford another designer consultation. The one with Leanne was a birthday present to myself as I am going through divorce and wanted some changes and help to make the house more 'me'. I like her embracing the imperfect style and all light and bright and airy feeling. Every change of hers that I have implemented has been amazing. My floors will stay this way for some time as I said earlier, they are better now that I white washed them. I am stuck on the coffee table to be honest. I can't just send something back once it gets to my island if I don't like it. I really like the bench idea using 2 benches to get some width, but I don't know how it will do in real life and on my floors. The marble would be my second choice, than the Folson or Rattan. And I do like all of the choices I posted. I didn't choose her round coffee tables as I feel I already have 2 round chairs (papasans), the round paper lantern light fixture, the round dining table and 3 arches in the open plan area, and the 4 round stools at the peninsula . Seems like to much roundness with a round coffee table or two.

• loobab
    2 years ago

Hi jvanlaanen-

I am so sorry about your divorce!

Those are so soul-sucking, and I am glad that you can do this project for yourself.

Taking care of yourself at a time like this is so important.

Great that you can discern too much roundness in the decor!

Do you have one of those photoshop/photoedit programs?

I don't or I would help you out with it.

There are some marvelous ones out there, and some are free.

I think there are some that are specially for decorating.

You can move your furnishings around with it, and arrange and rearrange to your hearts content and save your joints!

(I'm glad you can move a marble table, those days are long gone for me, I regret to say. I even get help carrying out my groceries!)

Yes, wabi-sabi has its appeal, that is the way God (or the cosmic muffin if you prefer :) has created the world. If you like the perfection of imperfection, Japanese handcraft might be something for you to check out once you have purchased your furniture.

Japanese craftsmen have used their hands and hand tools for hundreds of years and passed their crafts down in their family in ceramics, wood, iron, cotton weaving, etc and it is simply amazing.

Hawaii certainly has people that have traveled to Japan and brought things back.

There should be television shows highlighting Japanese culture on television that show Japanese handwork for you to see and learn what you like. (You don't need to understand what they are saying, but they usually have subtitles.)

If you have allergies, are the covers of the papasan chairs okay for you? Are you sneezing? Getting headaches? Are you breathing ok? If you needed to, you could replace those furry covers with leather ones.

The 2 benches as coffee tables could work, and they could move closer to the chairs or the sofa as needed.

I have a horrible vision of a tray with drinks on it, and a guest not realizing the benches are separate and moving one closer and then what a mess!

I wonder if there is some sort of unobtrusive hardware you could affix to the benches on both sides to attach them when you have a tray of food or drink or a game on top, or the bottom on the side edge like a catch, latch, or sliding bolt?

Here is a really good catalog that sells things like that.

https://www.rockler.com/hardware/fasteners

Perhaps you could inquire at a really good hardware store about that.

• PRO
    Hernest
    2 years ago

These beautiful coffee tables are all from Hernest. Free shipping on US.

Link to shop the following coffee tables here👉 https://bit.ly/3ch0HR9