SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_226963783

Building a New Home - Measurements not Matching up with Floor Plan

Brad S
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi All,

We are in the process of building a new home. The home we are building is in a development with many models and choices, but many of the models are "cookie cutter" with limited customizations.

When we toured the development multiple times, we were able to go into many model homes, but couldnt find the right one for us. We ended up deciding on a model that was "floor plan only", meaning we didnt have the opportunity to walk into it.

On the builders website, there is a tool for all of their homes where you can pick your customizations structurally, and we got the layout to include everything we wanted....we went with it and gave our first round of payments, etc.

We took another trip to the neighborhood this week, and found that there are two other families who are building the home that we chose that are under construction, but all the walls are up and they are essentially about 80% completed, (minus the finishing touches) and we went into those homes while the electricians were there. We were shocked to find out, at least to the naked eye, that all of the rooms felt and looked far smaller than what is in the floor plan itself in the home we went into. The walk in closet in our Owners Bedroom, for example, which is supposed to be 13-14 feet in length, could not possibly have been more than 9-10 feet in length. The walls, which on the builders website, show that you have 4+ feet to hang artwork, only have about 1-2 feet, if that. Even the one car garage, which SHOULD, according to the measuring tool on the site to use with the floor plan, should have an opening which is over 8 feet wide, can barely fit anything beyond a tiny car or a golf cart. There is no way I could ever get my SUV into this garage. Everything just felt and was visibly smaller and tighter than what we were expecting, although we didnt bring measuring tape, as we weren't expecting to have to do that.

This is a link to the floor plan that we were using as our guide and the company we are buying the home from was showing us to sell us the home - https://rifp.ml3ds-icon.com/#/floorplan/395640?floorId=515435

Bottom line is, we don't know what to do now, and have put down unrefundable money -- Do I have a case to "back out" based on the measuring tool and measurements on their website (the main part of what they use to sell this home) being completely inaccurate? If I am buying a home based on having a measuring tool on the website and room measurements that are all WAY off?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice you may have.....

Comments (27)